Help with a summary report

Post by Me » Wed, 13 Dec 2000 09:58:19

I'm currently using FM5 to create text files to import into a page
layout program to create a directory. The fields include a company name
and the companies contact info (address, city, state, phone, etc.) and
a person's name that is related to the company.

Is it possible to create a report that has one record per company with
its information and lists all people associated with that company? I've
looked into some of the summary layout formats but am quite new to FM
and I believe I'm overlooking something painfully obvious. Thanks in
advance.

Sean

Help with a summary report

Post by rf » Wed, 13 Dec 2000 21:18:20

You need a relational database with the relation company name.

A portal will do what you want to get.

rf

Quote:> I'm currently using FM5 to create text files to import into a page
> layout program to create a directory. The fields include a company name
> and the companies contact info (address, city, state, phone, etc.) and
> a person's name that is related to the company.

> Is it possible to create a report that has one record per company with
> its information and lists all people associated with that company? I've
> looked into some of the summary layout formats but am quite new to FM
> and I believe I'm overlooking something painfully obvious. Thanks in
> advance.

> Sean

Help with a summary report

Post by Sean » Thu, 14 Dec 2000 01:36:29

I think I've accomplished that. I just can't get the report to print
the company name once and put all the names below that on one report
page. I think I'm boneheading out in the report area.

> You need a relational database with the relation company name.

> A portal will do what you want to get.

> rf

> > I'm currently using FM5 to create text files to import into a page
> > layout program to create a directory. The fields include a company name
> > and the companies contact info (address, city, state, phone, etc.) and
> > a person's name that is related to the company.

> > Is it possible to create a report that has one record per company with
> > its information and lists all people associated with that company? I've
> > looked into some of the summary layout formats but am quite new to FM
> > and I believe I'm overlooking something painfully obvious. Thanks in
> > advance.

> > Sean

Help with a summary report

Post by Dennis De St Jeo » Thu, 14 Dec 2000 10:38:46

create a layout with parts in this order

Header
SubSummary (when sorted by Company Name)
Body
Footer

* Now place your company information fields in the subsummary part
* Place the person information fields in the body part.  Do not put company
information in the body part.

Now do the following

1.  Find all
2.  Sort by Company Name
3.  Go to your new layout
4.  enter preview mode

There is your report showing each company and the people who belong to that
company.  That is the basics of what you want to do....Now experiment around
a little and you will find you can modify this setup to do quite a bit.

Good Luck,
Dennis