Error opening file (already opened)

Post by Jean-Miche » Thu, 10 Dec 1998 04:00:00

HI

I've got a strange problem using FMPro 4.0v2 for Windows. I've got a
database solution which contains 7 FMP databases. They interact with
each other.

The first DB is mainly a menu, allowing me to show one of the other
DB's. Opening this first DB also opens the other ones. The problem is
that when i push on button that should show another DB and perform a
script from that DB, FMP tries to re-open that DB (even though it's
already opened). Then it tells me the DB could not be opened because it
is in mono-user mode or the main user cannot be found. OK. Then it asks
me to find the DB. I open the right DB (in the same folder as the first
one), but it keeps me it's already open (in fact it is opened, but in my
FMP application).

Anybody got a clue on this ?

Thanks

JML

Post by Lynn All » Thu, 10 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> HI

> I've got a strange problem using FMPro 4.0v2 for Windows. I've got a
> database solution which contains 7 FMP databases. They interact with
> each other.

> The first DB is mainly a menu, allowing me to show one of the other
> DB's. Opening this first DB also opens the other ones. The problem is
> that when i push on button that should show another DB and perform a
> script from that DB, FMP tries to re-open that DB (even though it's
> already opened). Then it tells me the DB could not be opened because it
> is in mono-user mode or the main user cannot be found. OK. Then it asks
> me to find the DB. I open the right DB (in the same folder as the first
> one), but it keeps me it's already open (in fact it is opened, but in my
> FMP application).

> Anybody got a clue on this ?

Check your "Go To" scripts. Do NOT use the Open script step after the
startup script to go to a file. From the main menu, call a script in the
target file that takes you to the appropriate layout.  This will avoid
the "already open" problem.

--

Allen & Allen Semiotics                          Web & Graphic Design
Long Beach CA USA               Filemaker Pro Consulting - Member CSA

1. vb conflict to open DB already open with Access (error 3356)

the access db is opened by user belonging to a group that has read only
permissions to the database and relevant tables

the vb 4.0 program tries to open the same database with:
Set Db = DBEngine.Workspaces(0).OpenDatabase("dbName", dbReadOnly)
Set RecSet = mastDb.OpenRecordset("prodmast", dbOpenTable, dbReadOnly)

the open fails with error 3356 which sez the db is open by user soandso on
machine machineName

obviously i don't understand how to get concurrent use of the db, for even
read only, can anybody help????

2. Alias to object owner in SQL Server 7

3. Reading/deleting in a shared textfile (error 55: File already open)

4. MULTIVALUED DICTIONARY

5. File Already open Error

6. Tranferring extended properties between databases with different collation

7. dbase IV 'file already open' error

8. TX-HOUSTON-260636--ORACLE-Sniffers-Database Administrator

9. Mail merge from Access try to open an already open DB

10. Preventing a from from being opened - if already open

11. File Open Error when I open too many time the same form

12. error 3050 - couldn't open file / vb 4.0 trying to open access database