FMP 5 Server vs FMP 5 file hosting

Post by Tom Mo » Sat, 14 Oct 2000 04:00:00

I'm interested if anyone has any real-world figures, or best-guess gut
feelings as to how much faster FMP Server is vs. FMP hosting files.

Of course FileMaker says it's optimized to speed network performance, but I
wonder if it's worth the $$$$. Anyone regret buying FMP 5 Server as
overkill?

Thanks for any opinions.

Thomas Moy
Harmonia Mundi USA

remove x's to reply directly

FMP 5 Server vs FMP 5 file hosting

Post by Dave Barret » Sun, 15 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I'm interested if anyone has any real-world figures, or best-guess gut
> feelings as to how much faster FMP Server is vs. FMP hosting files.

> Of course FileMaker says it's optimized to speed network performance, but
> wonder if it's worth the $$$$. Anyone regret buying FMP 5 Server as
> overkill?

I wouldn't really say its a speed "boost" issue. More importantly its about
preventing slow-downs.  Accessing a dedicated filemaker server from a single
client is about as fast as accessing the solution from a dedicated filemaker
pro "host" from a single client.  Adding a second client is where the real
performance "gains" are made as the server doesn't tend to slow down nearly
as much as peer-peer does with multiple clients.

Having said that, the server is faster than a simple fmpro host.  Its got
all the user interface stripped away etc... all it does is host. How much
faster? I couldn't say.

In any situation where two or more users are accessing the solution
regularly (several times per hour) I'd recommend the server.  Its more
stable, faster, and has facilities to transparently backup the system (onto
the local hard disk at least).
-Dave

Post by Joris Van den Bossch » Tue, 17 Oct 2000 04:00:00

>> I'm interested if anyone has any real-world figures, or best-guess gut
>> feelings as to how much faster FMP Server is vs. FMP hosting files.

My feeling is that the plus is not the speed but the ease of working and
security (back ups). Your speed will depend a lot on your network setup and
the number of users. I had to go to the server because we were with more
than 25 users. I don't have the impression it's a lot faster, but I know my
network is not running ok and blame it on that.

But I sure feel a lot saver that I have automated back-ups now ...

J.

Post by Paul Brunea » Tue, 17 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> I'm interested if anyone has any real-world figures, or best-guess gut
> feelings as to how much faster FMP Server is vs. FMP hosting files.

> Of course FileMaker says it's optimized to speed network performance, but I
> wonder if it's worth the $$$$. Anyone regret buying FMP 5 Server as
> overkill?

Anecdotally, I can say this: I would go to Server as soon as I got to 5
users. The cost is miniscule compared to the benefits. We're talking
$1000 for the software, and less for the machine. Not exactly a bank breaker.

1. FMP 5 Server vs FMP 5 file hosting, Part II

Another question on the differences between FMP Server vs. regular FMP
hosting files.

I have a bunch of tasks that I run overnight: importing, reporting,
updating, relookups.  These run much faster on the host computer for obvious
reasons.

If I upgrade to FMP Server, it doesn't have a user interface, right?  Does
this mean that these scripts will need to run over the network?  It seems to
me, this would be considerably slower.  Is there a way to tell FMP to run
the files at the server?  How does that work?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Thomas Moy
Harmonia Mundi USA

remove x's to reply directly

2. 18947-NC-RALEIGH/DURHAM-ORACLE- ClinTrial-Project Managers

3. CDML COMMAND:[fmp-linkfirst] [fmp-linknext] [fmp-linklast] [fmp-linkprevious]

4. (no subject)

5. FMP Server vs. FMP network

6. Changing datatypes in SQL Server 7...?

7. FMP 5.5 and FMP 5 for the same file

8. Log Shipping Concerns

9. Help FMP Server and FMP Pro

10. Query between FMP Server and FMP Unlimited

11. fmp server & fmp unlimited

12. FMP Unlimited WITHOUT FMP Server

13. Most effective way to setup FMP U and FMP Server