Drop down list with only subset of values from other file

Drop down list with only subset of values from other file

Post by Matthew Smit » Thu, 28 Nov 2002 06:05:30

I have a file which contains records on films. I have another file which
contains film prints. This file contains a field which is the film id,
in order to provide the relationship with films. I can create a value
list which the film id and film name, sorting on film name. This
provides a list of every film, which is not what I want. Only certain
films in the films file can be have a film print. There is a field in
the films file that identifies this.

I thought I could create a calculated field like:
if (film type = "abc", film id, "")

and use this as the film id but this doesn't work. It just makes the id
blank in the list. Does anyone have any ideas?

--
Matthew Smith
(to reply via email remove xxx)

Drop down list with only subset of values from other file

Post by John Weinshe » Thu, 28 Nov 2002 06:55:55

With FMP 5 or later, you can build a conditional value list. In your
scenario, the 'condition' is the 'field in the films file that identifies
this'. If, say, that field is a number field ('Print?'), displaying a
Boolean format ('Yes' or 'No'), but actually storing a 1 or zero, you can
build a relationship ('Printed') from the Print file to the Film file,
using, on the left side (in Prints), a constant field (a calc, returning a
number, defined as 1), and Print? on the right. Your value list will use the
related values, otherwise the same as what you have already built. If the
field is something else, build your matching field in Prints accordingly.

--
John Weinshel
Datagrace

Quote:> I have a file which contains records on films. I have another file which
> contains film prints. This file contains a field which is the film id,
> in order to provide the relationship with films. I can create a value
> list which the film id and film name, sorting on film name. This
> provides a list of every film, which is not what I want. Only certain
> films in the films file can be have a film print. There is a field in
> the films file that identifies this.

> I thought I could create a calculated field like:
> if (film type = "abc", film id, "")

> and use this as the film id but this doesn't work. It just makes the id
> blank in the list. Does anyone have any ideas?

> --
> Matthew Smith
> (to reply via email remove xxx)

Drop down list with only subset of values from other file

Post by Matthew Smit » Thu, 28 Nov 2002 10:45:21

That worked.

Actually, I noticed why it worked elsewhere. I had the second field a
calculation based on the same if condition. Since the both fields would
be blank, it won't list the record. In the case of the films I had not
made the second calculation field.

> With FMP 5 or later, you can build a conditional value list. In your
> scenario, the 'condition' is the 'field in the films file that identifies
> this'. If, say, that field is a number field ('Print?'), displaying a
> Boolean format ('Yes' or 'No'), but actually storing a 1 or zero, you can
> build a relationship ('Printed') from the Print file to the Film file,
> using, on the left side (in Prints), a constant field (a calc, returning a
> number, defined as 1), and Print? on the right. Your value list will use the
> related values, otherwise the same as what you have already built. If the
> field is something else, build your matching field in Prints accordingly.

> --
> John Weinshel
> Datagrace
> Vashon Island, WA
> (206) 463-1634
> Associate Member, Filemaker Solutions Alliance

> > I have a file which contains records on films. I have another file which
> > contains film prints. This file contains a field which is the film id,
> > in order to provide the relationship with films. I can create a value
> > list which the film id and film name, sorting on film name. This
> > provides a list of every film, which is not what I want. Only certain
> > films in the films file can be have a film print. There is a field in
> > the films file that identifies this.

> > I thought I could create a calculated field like:
> > if (film type = "abc", film id, "")

> > and use this as the film id but this doesn't work. It just makes the id
> > blank in the list. Does anyone have any ideas?

> > --
> > Matthew Smith
> > (to reply via email remove xxx)

--
Matthew Smith
(to reply via email remove xxx)

1. Counting non-numeric values in drop down lists

Is there a way to count non-numeric values in drop down lists?
Specifically, I want to count the number of sales/nosales (from a drop
down list) each representative (from an edit field) has for a certain
period of time. With this information, I would like to build a report
Listing each representative and his or her total sales, total nosales
for a period of time.

Thank you for your help!

2. visual basic compiler, for dos

3. Filling drop down edit lists with values

4. How to delete all records from a table?

5. Drop Down List Box - Data Value vs Dis

6. Please Help

7. drop-down list, default to value?

8. "Ghost" Process

9. Approach help with attaching values to items in drop down list boxes

10. display drop down list for invalid value

11. List of servers in VB for a drop down list

12. Adding a Heading for Combo/List box Drop Down list

13. Drop down to show another drop down based on selection in first