Portal for line of data in a portal?

Post by Gert Ko » Tue, 12 Jun 2001 16:18:50

My data-base vocabulary probably isn't very precise, but this is my
problem:

I am starting to make database-application (in Access) for a small
office, but when I think about the fact that I force these people into
Office XP with its future subscription model, I hesitate.

Is it easy or possible in Filemaker 5 to have a page with data for 1
client with 2 portals;
1 for the orders
1 for payments of each order

so when I click a line in the order portal, then the right payments are
displayed in the 2nd portal?

There are relations between:
clients and orders
prders and payments

Gert Kok

Portal for line of data in a portal?

Post by Bridget El » Tue, 12 Jun 2001 16:59:42

Hi Gert

It is possible, although not necessary readily apparent.

In your case, you could place the portals in the Clients file, create two
new global fields, and define three new relationships:

1. Self join which uses a data channel (all to all) relationship to show
all clients.

2.  Relationship between 1st global field and Orders

3. Relationship between 2nd global field and Payments.

Basically, the script (attached to an object on the first portal row of
the first portal)  has to set the first global field to the match value
(key) for the second relationship.  The global field in effect becomes a
filter field for the second relationship.

Similarly, a second script attached to attached to an object on the first
portal row of the second portal sets the second global field to the match
value (key) for the third relationship.

Post back if you need more details.

--
Bridget Eley

> My data-base vocabulary probably isn't very precise, but this is my
> problem:

> I am starting to make database-application (in Access) for a small
> office, but when I think about the fact that I force these people into
> Office XP with its future subscription model, I hesitate.

> Is it easy or possible in Filemaker 5 to have a page with data for 1
> client with 2 portals;
> 1 for the orders
> 1 for payments of each order

> so when I click a line in the order portal, then the right payments are
> displayed in the 2nd portal?

> There are relations between:
> clients and orders
> prders and payments

> Gert Kok

1. Add item in line item portal from another portal

Hello,

I'm using an Invoice type layout with two portals: one containing
product info storing product number in a field called ProductCode when
selected.
The other (LineItem) is used to add the product that will be sold to
the invoice. Relationship between lineItem: InventoryID and the main
InventoryID of the Invoice file.

Problem.  I have this script that is activated when I click on a
product in the list.  However, I don't know how to go to the next
record in the lineItem portal before pasting the next product.  This
script always replace the first line in the portal.

Copy (Select, "ProductCode")
Need to go to the next record in the LineItem portal
Paste (Select,"LineItem::InventoryID")
Go To Field []

Thanks for any help !!

Matt

2. Problem using Field Expert using Paradox 7.0

3. Oracle Portal vs Novell Portal

4. 2 Instances of the same server in service manager

5. To Portal or not to Portal

6. Comma-separated list

7. FILTER PORTAL RECORDS - DISABLE ADDING NEW RECORDS IN A PORTAL

8. Determining The Existence Of A Temporary Table

9. Copy Portal to Portal

10. Displaying a portal based on a portal

11. Simulate a Portal within a Portal...

12. Portal Within A Portal (Heirarchical Listings)

13. portal within portal?