HELP: Username/Computername

Post by Andreas Aguil » Wed, 24 Jun 1998 04:00:00

May someone can help me with my problem - I hope I can explain it
because
my englich ist very bad....

FM Pro is able to give every record the name of the one who created or
changed a record. This is fine if you have a network where everyone has
his own computer.
But what about those ones who have to share one computer. FM can only
get the computer-name but not the actual name of the user!

Of course I can create a database with names and passwords, and a script

can watch if the entries are correct, but the fields "craeted by" and
"changed by" are still the name of the computer and not the username.

Has somebody got an idea to solve this problem? Ive been looking now
for
months, but nobody seems to know.

Andreas

}
[...]

hi, Andreas,

if you can make the script stuff and layout stuff, then if folks will
cooperate, you could build a login layout.. then make some field like
CurrentUser..

creat a null=null relationship with any files you want to use Current
User in. this gets around this stupid limitation of where the filemaker
requesters only show database files with "relationships".. it just
creates a meaningless relationship, but lets you get at the data you
want..

then in all the places you want to use the "Created by" go into the
file definitions and unclick the Creator Name option. then set the
auto enter settings to "looked up value" and specify the CurrentUser
field from whatever database-file layout setup you used for login..

because it is a lookup not a calculation, it is only looked up once,
and will not change when other users access the info.. so Created by
will actually contain whatever was in the CurrentUser field when the
record was created.

Sur-Tech / Ami-Tech    (408) 496-6348 Xt 247     Santa Clara CA 95050
                          www.Sur-Tech.com

Post by Lui » Fri, 26 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>}May someone can help me with my problem - I hope I can explain it
>}because
>}my englich ist very bad....
>}
>}FM Pro is able to give every record the name of the one who created or
>}changed a record. This is fine if you have a network where everyone has
>}his own computer.
>}But what about those ones who have to share one computer. FM can only
>}get the computer-name but not the actual name of the user!
>}
>}Of course I can create a database with names and passwords, and a script
>}
>}can watch if the entries are correct, but the fields "craeted by" and
>}"changed by" are still the name of the computer and not the username.
>}
>}Has somebody got an idea to solve this problem? Ive been looking now
>}for
>}months, but nobody seems to know.
>}
>}
>}
>}Andreas

>hi, Andreas,

>if you can make the script stuff and layout stuff, then if folks will
>cooperate, you could build a login layout.. then make some field like
>CurrentUser..

>creat a null=null relationship with any files you want to use Current
>User in. this gets around this stupid limitation of where the filemaker
>requesters only show database files with "relationships".. it just
>creates a meaningless relationship, but lets you get at the data you
>want..

>then in all the places you want to use the "Created by" go into the
>file definitions and unclick the Creator Name option. then set the
>auto enter settings to "looked up value" and specify the CurrentUser
>field from whatever database-file layout setup you used for login..

>because it is a lookup not a calculation, it is only looked up once,
>and will not change when other users access the info.. so Created by
>will actually contain whatever was in the CurrentUser field when the
>record was created.

>Sur-Tech / Ami-Tech    (408) 496-6348 Xt 247     Santa Clara CA 95050
>                          www.Sur-Tech.com

Andreas,

I just want to add that I have developed the solution that Christian
suggested. Please be warned if you need to track the modifier name, you will
not be able to do it with this solution. That was the main reason I abandon
it. Instead I have the user type their name in the "Custom" field in the
Application Preference window.

If you need more detail let me know.

Lui W.

Note: Remove "NOSPAM_" if appears in email address.

HELP: Username/Computername

Post by Lui » Fri, 26 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>}May someone can help me with my problem - I hope I can explain it
>}because
>}my englich ist very bad....
>}
>}FM Pro is able to give every record the name of the one who created or
>}changed a record. This is fine if you have a network where everyone has
>}his own computer.
>}But what about those ones who have to share one computer. FM can only
>}get the computer-name but not the actual name of the user!
>}
>}Of course I can create a database with names and passwords, and a script
>}
>}can watch if the entries are correct, but the fields "craeted by" and
>}"changed by" are still the name of the computer and not the username.
>}
>}Has somebody got an idea to solve this problem? Ive been looking now
>}for
>}months, but nobody seems to know.
>}
>}
>}
>}Andreas

>hi, Andreas,

>if you can make the script stuff and layout stuff, then if folks will
>cooperate, you could build a login layout.. then make some field like
>CurrentUser..

>creat a null=null relationship with any files you want to use Current
>User in. this gets around this stupid limitation of where the filemaker
>requesters only show database files with "relationships".. it just
>creates a meaningless relationship, but lets you get at the data you
>want..

>then in all the places you want to use the "Created by" go into the
>file definitions and unclick the Creator Name option. then set the
>auto enter settings to "looked up value" and specify the CurrentUser
>field from whatever database-file layout setup you used for login..

>because it is a lookup not a calculation, it is only looked up once,
>and will not change when other users access the info.. so Created by
>will actually contain whatever was in the CurrentUser field when the
>record was created.

>Sur-Tech / Ami-Tech    (408) 496-6348 Xt 247     Santa Clara CA 95050
>                          www.Sur-Tech.com

Andreas,

I just want to add that I have developed the solution that Christian
suggested. Please be warned if you need to track the modifier name, you will
not be able to do it with this solution. That was the main reason I abandon
it. Instead I have the user type their name in the "Custom" field in the
Application Preference window.

If you need more detail let me know.

Lui W.

Note: Remove "NOSPAM_" if appears in email address.

HELP: Username/Computername

Post by christ.. » Fri, 26 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hey Lui/Andreas

}Andreas,
}
}__________________________________________________
}Lui W.

}Note: Remove "NOSPAM_" if appears in email address.
}__________________________________________________

Just got back in the shop.. yep, as i was headed out the door i was
thinkin gee.. wasn't there something about a "Modified by" field in
a lot of those examples..

and yes indeed, that "Created by" workaround, will not work for the
"Modified by" problem. so i got to thinkin (bummer brain drain)..

anyway, i think i came up with a way around this other problem..
man the more i think of these things the lower my opinion of this
program becomes.. but heck on unix it will take days to build code
that does junk like "print the invoice".. "dial the phone".. "send
an email".. so even though the program is a bit odd, it has some real
nice little hooks into the rest of the OS, that can save days of
scripting..

anyway.. my idea to get around the "Modified by" field is similar to
the "Created by" thing, but would involve an "extra" layout.. this
is not too much of a drag, because filemaker has that "Duplicate
Layout" menu selection..

so the idea, is to make one layout a "View" layout.. in this layout
you setup all the fields so they can be seen, but not modified.. (
i'm new to the prog, so not even sure if this is possible with any
thing involving a "portal") on this "view" layout, you could have a
"Modify" button.. then setup a script that will go to the duplicate
layout where field entry is enabled.. on the way, the script could
take the "CurrentUser" info and drop it into the "Modified by" field.
possibly grab the time and some other stuff along the way.. maybe
even hook it to the password setup, so it will only work if the user
has clearance to "Modify" the info..

of course someone with correct clearance could still simply go to
the "Modify" layout, and NOT actually modify anything.. in which
case all the "modification" info would be WRONG.. because they had
not actually done a modification. oh well, only so much you can do
if the basic program functionality is not there..

So LUI.. if you try it, let me know.. like i said i'm new to filmaker
i'm trying to use it as the front end to an automated accounting and
website application.. its limitations are pretty frustrating, but on
the other side.. some of the stuff like the OS hooks, and how easy it
is to build the GUI are pretty apealing..