Conditional Pulldown Menu

Post by W. Hun » Wed, 04 Apr 2001 08:00:15

Hi everyone,

I am trying to get a conditional pulldown menu to work in my program.  I am
stuck and don't know what else I have to do.

First pulldown menu: 1. Hardware  2. Software

When select "Hardware", I want the second pull down to give me the hardware
valuelist.  When I select "Software", I want the same second pull down to
give me my software valuelist.  I can't get this to work right.  And help
will be appreciated.  Not even sure if I have to set relation and value list
on a different file.  The hardware and software valuelist is on the same
file.

Does anyone know if their are good sources for Filemaker Pro 5 help Online?
Thanks.

Conditional Pulldown Menu

Post by John Weinshe » Wed, 04 Apr 2001 09:42:44

Conditional value lists do require a relationship, but that relationship can
be with the same file (a self join).

In your example, the records need a field to choose between Hardware or
Software. Assume this is a text field, "Type", formatted with a value list
(Hardware, Software).

Now create a relationship, "Self_Type", using that field as the match field
on both sides.

Let's say the second value list if for the field "Product_Name". In the
Value List definition dialogue box, use "Use values from field:", and then,
"Only related values", choosing the relationship "Self_Type". Only the
values from those records with the same Type will display in the value list.

--

John Weinshel
Datagrace

Quote:> Hi everyone,

> I am trying to get a conditional pulldown menu to work in my program.  I
am
> stuck and don't know what else I have to do.

> First pulldown menu: 1. Hardware  2. Software

> When select "Hardware", I want the second pull down to give me the
hardware
> valuelist.  When I select "Software", I want the same second pull down to
> give me my software valuelist.  I can't get this to work right.  And help
> will be appreciated.  Not even sure if I have to set relation and value
list
> on a different file.  The hardware and software valuelist is on the same
> file.

> Does anyone know if their are good sources for Filemaker Pro 5 help
Online?
> Thanks.

1. needed - quote me on conditional pulldown menus

Hello

I have read that filemaker can do conditional pull down menus.  I have
never mastered Filemaker - so I am looking for someone to make a
"sample" template and files for the following:

First List - Year ( 1980 thru 2000 )

Second List - Make of Vehicle ( Buick - Chev -Ford - Dodge etc)

Third List - Model  ( if Buick - then LeSabre - etc - If Chev then
Camaro  and many more models ...and so on - some cases will-can be year
dependant as well)

Fourth List - Special Notes ( say - if 1995 -  Ford - Explorer - then --
is it 2 wheel drive ( 2WD or 4 wheel drive(4WD)  )

Result - give me a specific number for the above combination - say 1995
Ford Explorer 4WD could give me a unique number - however you can do it
- that number will lead me to a specific web page.

Ok - if you are interested - send me a quote - show me the cost for the
basic model with limited data ( we will get the rest of the data to fill
in the data base ) and your per hour charge for additional work for
whatever this evolves into.

Thanks

Greg Henderson

ps- call me only if I have absolutely confused you and you need to know
more 519-322-2558  Leamington Ontario Canada. M-F 8:30- 4:30 est

ps - yes - I know that AAIA- APAA has the e-cat index - I am just
looking for something low cost that we can play with - I am not trying
to make a complete electronic catalogue - just a basic model to test out
on a web page - that is why I do not have a 5th list for the type of
part and a 6th list for a further reduction to the specific type of part.

2. ?? HELP!!How to know about this .....???

3. Menu and Pulldown Menu Features

4. Why several oninit processes in ver 6.0?

5. pulldown menus in pdox45

6. Fatal error 3624 on SQLServer 7 SP3

7. Pulldown Menus AGAIN

8. Where is OWA_PARMS?

9. Pulldown Menus

10. Pulldown menus to choose table fields?

11. pulldown menu based on repeating field

12. Paradox Pulldown Menu Development System