1 LeftWords Function & 2 Time calculations

1 LeftWords Function & 2 Time calculations

Post by Tim Pec » Mon, 17 Jan 2000 04:00:00

DOMINIQUE WROTE:

Quote:> 1. I want to do a slight variation of the LeftWords function but I'm not
> sure if it's possible. I want to look for a specified text string, but
> then get the function to output the first word to the left of the search
> string. For example if I had a text string "I have 10 apples" and I
> searched for "apples" the function would return "10". The point is that
> the number in this case will vary, so I can't include it in the search
> string. Any ideas?

TIM:
It sounds like you need to use the function Abs (number)

1.  Create a file with these fields:

-- TextField (text)
-- GetNumber (calc, number) = Abs (TextField)

2.  Enter "I have 10 apples" in TextField.  GetNumber returns "10"

1 LeftWords Function & 2 Time calculations

Post by Dominique Sig » Tue, 18 Jan 2000 04:00:00

A couple of questions from a newbie, so apologies if these have been
asked before:
1. I want to do a slight variation of the LeftWords function but I'm not
sure if it's possible. I want to look for a specified text string, but
then get the function to output the first word to the left of the search
string. For example if I had a text string "I have 10 apples" and I
searched for "apples" the function would return "10". The point is that
the number in this case will vary, so I can't include it in the search
string. Any ideas?

2. I'm having a problem with a time calculation. I have 2 time fields,
and I'm trying to subtract a time interval from a specific point in
time. This works fine unless the calculation crosses over a 24hr period.
For example, if I have a time of 02:00 and I want to subtract 3 hours
from that, I get a reult of -01:00 rather than 23:00. Is there a way
around this?

Thanks in advance
Dominique

Post by Máire Bla » Tue, 18 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> A couple of questions from a newbie, so apologies if these have been
> asked before:
> 1. I want to do a slight variation of the LeftWords function but I'm not
> sure if it's possible. I want to look for a specified text string, but
> then get the function to output the first word to the left of the search
> string. For example if I had a text string "I have 10 apples" and I
> searched for "apples" the function would return "10". The point is that
> the number in this case will vary, so I can't include it in the search
> string. Any ideas?

Say you have a global into which you will type the text you are looking
for.
Create calc fields:

NewEndText = Position(text; Global; 1; 1)-2   [Minus 2 to account for
the first letter of "apple" and the space before "apple".]

NewText = Left(text; NewEndText)
gives just "I have 10".

Final calc = RightWords(Newtext;1)

You could amalgamate these fields into one calc.

Quote:

> 2. I'm having a problem with a time calculation. I have 2 time fields,
> and I'm trying to subtract a time interval from a specific point in
> time. This works fine unless the calculation crosses over a 24hr period.
> For example, if I have a time of 02:00 and I want to subtract 3 hours
> from that, I get a reult of -01:00 rather than 23:00. Is there a way
> around this?

Not sure of my ground on this one, but you could have a further calc
field =

If(TimefieldCalc<0;86400+TimefieldCalc;TimefieldCalc)

It's + the calc because it will be a minus value as you have discovered.

--
Mire Black
Scotland

1. What character can join words ie LeftWords, MiddleWords,RightWords functions

What ASCII characters can I use between words to join them as far as
the LeftWords, MiddleWords,RightWords functions are concerned.

ie  text_string = "Wordone~Wordtwo Wordthree Wordfour"
                "Wordone*Wordtwo Wordthree Wordfour"
                "Wordone$Wordtwo Wordthree Wordfour"

RightWord (text_string,1) returns Wordone

I can put in some garbage and do it but

                "WordoneXXXXWordtwo Wordthree Wordfour"

RightWord (text_string,1) returns WordoneXXXXWordtwo

I want it to return Wordone~Wordtwo

Thanks

2. US-Oracle DBA/ Financials/ Manufacturing-Technical or Functional

3. FM Pro5 scripting, functions & calculations examples

4. Weird SQL error...

5. Date & Time Calculation questions

6. intn datatype question

7. OLAP Median Function Calculation

8. Function calculation in the field VARCHAR

9. Calculation error using median function

10. ORDER BY and functions calculations

11. aggregate function for median calculation