OS x and Filemaker client as server

Post by Geir » Wed, 31 Oct 2001 04:28:28

Hi

I was recommended to use FileMaker client on Os X server and post files as
multiuser. All that happens is that every time someone logs onto these
files, FileMaker freezes, and certain files corrupt.

The last time this happened, i wasn't even able to recover the crashed file,
loosing some important work.

Information anyone?

Geir Ertzgaard
Network admin

Post by Tim Boot » Wed, 31 Oct 2001 08:01:15

> Hi

> I was recommended to use FileMaker client on Os X server and post files as
> multiuser. All that happens is that every time someone logs onto these
> files, FileMaker freezes, and certain files corrupt.

How are they logging onto the files? Not through the network / file
sharing I hope...

Quote:> The last time this happened, i wasn't even able to recover the crashed file,
> loosing some important work.

Have a read through:
http://heifer.ucc.usyd.edu.au/cdf_faq/FMPro?-db=cdf_faq.fp5&-lay=main...

Cheers

Webko

OS x and Filemaker client as server

Post by David Herma » Wed, 31 Oct 2001 09:08:04

Sure seems that you must be sharing the actual volume and your user's are
opening the files directly off of the shared volume.  That will give you
errors and corrupt the files for sure.  FileMaker uses its own file sharing
over TCP/IP or IPX/SPX protocols.  IPX/SPX is no longer available under the
Macintosh OS so you will need to share via TCP/IP.  Then your user's need to
open the files via the "Hosts" option when they start their copy of
FileMaker.

Dave Herman

> Newsgroups: comp.databases.filemaker
> Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 19:28:28 GMT
> Subject: OS x and Filemaker client as server

> Hi

> I was recommended to use FileMaker client on Os X server and post files as
> multiuser. All that happens is that every time someone logs onto these
> files, FileMaker freezes, and certain files corrupt.

> The last time this happened, i wasn't even able to recover the crashed file,
> loosing some important work.

> Information anyone?

> Geir Ertzgaard
> Network admin

1. FileMaker Demonstrates FileMaker Pro 5 on Mac OS X

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/010321/sfw129.html

Wednesday March 21, 5:29 pm Eastern Time

Press Release
SOURCE: FileMaker, Inc.

FileMaker Demonstrates FileMaker Pro 5 on Mac OS X

SANTA CLARA, Calif., March 21 /PRNewswire/ -- Signaling its support for
Apple's next-generation operating system, FileMaker is previewing FileMaker
Pro 5 on Mac OS X at Apple launch events today and during the next few days.

``Mac OS X represents a leap forward, enabling a new generation of
phenomenal Macintosh applications,'' said Dominique Goupil, FileMaker
president. ``FileMaker is very excited about the user experience we will
deliver based on the vivid Aqua interface and other Mac OS X features.''

The preview of FileMaker Pro 5 database software running on Mac OS X is to
be demonstrated at Apple launch events in Cupertino, Germany and the United
Kingdom.

``With state-of-the-art technology throughout, including an elegant user
interface called 'Aqua' and a UNIX-based foundation, Mac OS X opens a world
of possibilities for developers wishing to innovate on the Mac,'' said Clent
Richardson, Apple's vice president of Worldwide Developer Relations.
``FileMaker is a first-class information management application, and we are
thrilled to see FileMaker 5 on Mac OS X.''

The FileMaker line of database software provides relational power, instant
and custom Web publishing and legendary ease-of-use. FileMaker is the
database software subsidiary of Apple Computer, Inc. (Nasdaq: AAPL - news).

NOTE: FileMaker is a trademark of FileMaker, Inc. registered in the U.S. and
other countries. All other trademarks are the property of their respective
owners.

SOURCE: FileMaker, Inc.

2. SQL String Problem

3. OS/2 Client to PSQL2000i server on Win2000 server

4. On-line web site database with ASP

5. best OS X platform for Filemaker Server 5.5?

6. Trimming Strings

7. Mac OS X Server (Web) and Filemaker Unlimited

8. Crystal Reports v5.0

9. SQL Server 7.0 Client / ODBC on OS/2 Warp

10. SQL 6.5 connecting Win OS/2 Clients with LAN Server

11. OS/2 client access to SQL Server 6.0

12. VB client/server apps under OS/2