Setting Repeating Fields from found record set in another database

Setting Repeating Fields from found record set in another database

Post by Frederick Malon » Thu, 25 Apr 2002 21:25:37

Hi,

Let's say I have two tables(databases), SupportJobCard and
AccountSoftware.  The AccountSoftware table is defined as:

        AccountNumber           Text
        SoftwareTitle           Text

The SupportJobCard table is defined as:

        AccountNumber           Text
        JobCardID               Number
        SoftwareTitles          Text (repeating 10)
        Details                 Text

The relationship is based on the AccountNumber field.

I want to be able to show in the SoftwareTitles field of the
SupportJobCard table the SoftwareTitle field from all matching records
from the AccountSoftware table.

Is this possible and how would I do it?  I would normally just have a
portal showing the related records, but we want to only show the software
titles at the time the job card was created.  So, if a software title is
added to the account after the job card was created, it will not show on
the support job card.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Post by Redwi » Fri, 26 Apr 2002 00:33:21

<< I want to be able to show in the SoftwareTitles field of the SupportJobCard
table the SoftwareTitle field from all matching records from the
AccountSoftware table.

Is this possible and how would I do it?  I would normally just have a portal
showing the related records, but we want to only show the software titles at
the time the job card was created.  So, if a software title is added to the
account after the job card was created, it will not show on the support job
card. >>

You need to supply a road map for the repeater, which is essentially a compound
key concatenating the AccountNumber and the repetition numbers for your reps 1
- 10, around a text delimiter, yielding a new repeater "RoadMap" that looks
like:
1359-1
1359-2
1359-3
1359-4...
etc.
You'll need a matching key in your AccountSoftware file, which means
concatenating the AccountNumber and basically a running count of itself around
the same delimiter to yield the matching key.
You can either A) lookup the values into the SoftwareTitles repeater when the
SupportJobCard record is new, or B) use an auto enter calc that polls another
field, perhaps a date in each file that matches, and relies on a local trigger,
C) script the entry based on the same structure of relating the "RoadMap"
repeater to Account Software's matching key. Good luck.

Sincerely,

        Roger E. Grodin
        REDWING FINANCIAL GROUP
        "Where OUR business is the ultimate database for YOUR business"

1. set field/repeating field bug

Has anyone else experienced this bug? When you try to copy data from one
repetition to another using set field, within the same field, the data
disappears?

After performing this script step,

  Set Field ["globaltext"-2, "GetRepetition(globaltext,3)"]

the second repetition of globaltext is empty even if repetition 3 is
not.

As a workaround, the following step for text fields can be used:

  Set Field ["globaltext"-2, "GetRepetition(globaltext,3) & """]

If the field is numeric, use this workaround:

  Set Field ["globalx"-2, "GetRepetition(globalx,3)+0"]

Adding an empty string or adding zero makes it work as expected. I just
wanted to let you all know about this as it took me hours to figure out
why the script didn't work. The bug is there in both version 4.0 and 4.1
for windows, I haven't checked mac versions.

regards,

/Bo P

2. Null Problem - ############# Values

3. Set field with repeating fields problem

4. Connectivity problems using ipx/spx

5. Record Set Guru's - Can't Create Record Set error 429

6. Full Text Paramter in Stored Procedure

7. Converting from ADO Record Sets to a ADO.NET record set object

8. repeat records in a result set of SQL

9. Howw to set a repeition of a repeating field

10. Set value of repeating fields

11. HELP!Setting up repeating fields

12. Set a record set in access