do not print blank field

Post by Myron Molna » Fri, 10 Nov 2000 04:00:00

A long time ago, I set up a label layout that has worked for several
years. Now I edited it (forgot to make a copy) and now when I print, it
will print all fields, even those that contain no data. The original
layout did not print empty fields, they simply disapeared and allowed
the next field to print in its place..

I cannot remember how I dropped the empty fields, which then allowed the
field below it to move up, before nor can I find the
info in the Help Menu. It must be simple or I could not have done this
before.

Thanks for the help.

Myron Molnau

do not print blank field

Post by NeoLuddit » Fri, 10 Nov 2000 04:00:00

> A long time ago, I set up a label layout that has worked for several
> years. Now I edited it (forgot to make a copy) and now when I print, it
> will print all fields, even those that contain no data. The original
> layout did not print empty fields, they simply disapeared and allowed
> the next field to print in its place..

> I cannot remember how I dropped the empty fields, which then allowed the
> field below it to move up, before nor can I find the
> info in the Help Menu. It must be simple or I could not have done this
> before.

You need to use the Sliding/Printing feature. I think in most versions
it's under the Format menu when in layout mode.

Select all the fields and then select Sliding/Printing. Check the
Sliding Up Option.

Remeber, always work on a copy. This is especially important with FMP
since it "Auto Saves".

--
Scratch the surface of a cynic and you'll find a dead optimist.

do not print blank field

Post by Jame » Sat, 11 Nov 2000 09:42:20

Hi Myron -

The two most common methods are to use the sliding feature to make layout
objects slide up over empty fields (see the manual) and to use merge fields.
You don't mention your version or platform, always a good idea when asking
questions of this type, so I can't say if the merge fields feature is
available in your version.  If it is, it should solve your problem.

Best of Luck -
James

--
Don't forget to remove the obvious spam blocks when replying.
I advocate making an address book entry and using it!  Thanks!