Slow Launch Times

Post by Audie Johnse » Thu, 12 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

I recently updated from 4.0v1 to 4.0v2 that resulted in a noticeable
slow down in launch time.  I update to 4.0v3; that did not fix the
problem.  I have removed the program completely and re-installed the
application again.  The quick launch time returns with 4.0v1 and again
slows from about 5 second to 15 seconds with 4.0v2.  Is this an inherent
problem with this update or is there something I can do to fix this.

Many thanks,
Audie Johnsen

Slow Launch Times

Post by camil.. » Fri, 13 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Hello,

> I recently updated from 4.0v1 to 4.0v2 that resulted in a noticeable
> slow down in launch time.  I update to 4.0v3; that did not fix the
> problem.  I have removed the program completely and re-installed the
> application again.  The quick launch time returns with 4.0v1 and again
> slows from about 5 second to 15 seconds with 4.0v2.  Is this an
inherent
> problem with this update or is there something I can do to fix this.

> Many thanks,
> Audie Johnsen

My guess is it has something to do with Network protocols, or font
initialization. Is yours the only machine or are you on a network? If
you are on a large network of other FM users, it may be doing an
exhaustive serial number check to see if you have a legal copy. Can't
think off hand what else could be causing this.

Camille Issa

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Slow Launch Times

Post by Audie Johnse » Sat, 14 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Mike, Camille and Group,

Thanks for your input.

Here are the steps I have tried so far:

        o Removed and re-installed application
        o Deleted FM font file
        o Closed all programs and extensions
        o Network protocol is set to none

Notes:  (1) Boot in Safe Mode results in excellent 3-4 second launch
times.
                (I am not sure what that tells me. A conflict?)
        (2) All other applications launch in about 3-4 seconds, but FM still
takes about 15-20 in Normal Mode.
        (3) Version 4.0v1 still launches in 3-4 in Normal Mode.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Audie Johnsen

> > Hello,

> > I recently updated from 4.0v1 to 4.0v2 that resulted in a noticeable
> > slow down in launch time.  I update to 4.0v3; that did not fix the
> > problem.  I have removed the program completely and re-installed the
> > application again.  The quick launch time returns with 4.0v1 and again
> > slows from about 5 second to 15 seconds with 4.0v2.  Is this an
> inherent
> > problem with this update or is there something I can do to fix this.

> > Many thanks,
> > Audie Johnsen

> My guess is it has something to do with Network protocols, or font
> initialization. Is yours the only machine or are you on a network? If
> you are on a large network of other FM users, it may be doing an
> exhaustive serial number check to see if you have a legal copy. Can't
> think off hand what else could be causing this.

> Camille Issa

Slow Launch Times

Post by Gavin Toole » Sun, 15 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hi Audie,

Try emptying your Temp Files folder.
It's a classic for slowing down the start up.

C:\Windows\Temp\*.*

There is often a buildup of many files in here.
I have had many clients waiting 5 - 10 minutes for start up.
After emptying this folder, a few seconds.

Gavin.

>Mike, Camille and Group,

>Thanks for your input.

>Here are the steps I have tried so far:

> o Removed and re-installed application
> o Deleted FM font file
> o Closed all programs and extensions
> o Network protocol is set to none

>Notes: (1) Boot in Safe Mode results in excellent 3-4 second launch
>times.
> (I am not sure what that tells me. A conflict?)
> (2) All other applications launch in about 3-4 seconds, but FM still
>takes about 15-20 in Normal Mode.
> (3) Version 4.0v1 still launches in 3-4 in Normal Mode.

1. Slow launch of Filemaker on Netware clients

I have installed a runtime solution on a Win98 client in a Novell network,
but it takes almost an hour to open the databases (45).
If opened the databases with FMPro 5.5 with TCP/IP it takes the same time.
In both cases the databases are stored on the local disk ( no sharing
involved !)
If I open the databases on a regular Win98 ( not connected to a Novell
server) it opens within 40 secs.

I have seen long startup problems more often if a Novell client was
involved.
Looked around and phoned Filemaker, but couldn't find a solution.

Thanks
Jan van der Zwaag

2. Exist any Interbase book ???

3. FileMaker Pro 4.0v3 slow to launch on Citrix 2000 server

4. JOB Agent Crash when more than 1 step inside the job

5. slow launch & refresh v7/W2k/modem

6. pgsql/doc/src/sgml maintenance.sgml perform.sg ...

7. Changing Query Plans - Slow one time/Fast Another Time

8. 4GL / New Era question.

9. Launch sp at certain time

10. can I use command line to launch internet explorer and open one url each time