Pay by date...

Post by Bebop & Rockstead » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 13:54:13

This must be simple but I got myself confused

I have three fields
<Creation Date>
<Pay by date>
<Number of days> (in a seperate settings database.)

All I want is a simple calculation but my brain hurts...

<Pay by date> = <Creation Date> + <Number of Days>

What would correct calculation be..???
Thanx

http://quantum.2ya.com/email.htm

Pay by date...

Post by Lou Lesk » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 14:51:59

Quote:> This must be simple but I got myself confused

> I have three fields
><Creation Date>
><Pay by date>
><Number of days> (in a seperate settings database.)

> All I want is a simple calculation but my brain hurts...

Sorry about your brain...

Is the number of days in your setting DB a global field?  If not, are
you using it in a global way?

loulou

Pay by date...

Post by Bebop & Rockstead » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 15:05:55

>> This must be simple but I got myself confused

>> I have three fields
>><Creation Date>
>><Pay by date>
>><Number of days> (in a seperate settings database.)

>> All I want is a simple calculation but my brain hurts...

> Sorry about your brain...

> Is the number of days in your setting DB a global field?  If not, are
> you using it in a global way?

Yes it is a global field and the two DB are relationship...
(luck them :-) )

http://quantum.2ya.com/email.htm

Pay by date...

Post by Chris Brow » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 15:30:32

create a rel to your settings file, (rel 01), using a constant field in
each

e.g. create  a  number calc field (_constant) in each, and index it in
the Settings file (at least)
then your calc can/should be something like:

<Pay by date> = <Creation Date> + rel 01:Number of Days

Chris Brown
Neurosurgery
University of Adelaide

Post by Helpful Harr » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 15:43:10

> This must be simple but I got myself confused

> I have three fields
> <Creation Date>
> <Pay by date>
> <Number of days> (in a seperate settings database.)

> All I want is a simple calculation but my brain hurts...

> <Pay by date> = <Creation Date> + <Number of Days>

> What would correct calculation be..???
> Thanx

From the information you've given the calculation looks OK to me ... as
long as:

     Pay by date is a calculation field with a date result
     Creation Date is a date field
     Number of Days is a number field

Obivously Number of Days is in another database, so the real
calculation would be something like:

     Pay by Date = Creation Date + Other File::Number of Days

otherwise you're picking up the Number of Days field from the current
database, not the related one.

Helpful Harry
"Just trying to help whenever I can."      :o)

Pay by date...

Post by Bebop & Rockstead » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 17:02:33

Quote:>      Pay by Date = Creation Date + Other File::Number of Days

Thought I was right... I worked it out I forgot to make the calculation
result a date... duh :-)

Thanx... you are great...

http://quantum.2ya.com/email.htm

Pay by date...

Post by Lou Lesk » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 23:36:51

Quote:

> Chris Brown
> Neurosurgery
> University of Adelaide

<snip>

Oh joy here comes Chris and his top posting again.

loulou

Pay by date...

Post by Howard Schlossber » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 00:18:44

Lou--

I didn't get into the back & forth in the original thread that covered
this topic, but I'm with Chris on this personal preference.  I can
adjust just fine to emails where the quotes come first, but I find the
reading of top-posts easier -- particularly for posts to a thread I've
already been following.  And on threads I haven't been following, it is
easy enough for me to scroll down and read the prior posts.  The problem
with bottom posts is that you have to skim through the quote (and quotes
of quotes of quotes) to find the beginning of the current post.  Too
many posts have just too much quoted crap.

I guess it's kind of like people who install rolls of toilet paper so
that the end drops down the back.  It's not my preference, but I can
adjust according to the situation.  In this case, the *is just part
of the process.

Howard

> Oh joy here comes Chris and his top posting again.

Howard Schlossberg              (818) 883-2846
FM Pro Solutions       Los Angeles, California

Pay by date...

Post by Lou Lesk » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 07:32:43

Quote:> Lou--

> I didn't get into the back & forth in the original thread that covered
> this topic, but I'm with Chris on this personal preference.  I can
> adjust just fine to emails where the quotes come first, but I find the
> reading of top-posts easier -- particularly for posts to a thread I've

<the ongoing debate of posting positions snipped>

Howard,

You said it best.  You prefer one way (top posting), but adjust to
another.  All your posts, in addition to providing good info, always go
with the flow.  Chris on the other hand will take a series of 4 or 5
bottom posts and throw his on top esentially imposing his preference.
For the times that the thread is not available it creates a bit of
confusion.  If the trend were to go towards top posting I certainly
wouldn't be against it.  Also don't get me wrong Im all about rebellion
and change, but when it comes to something like this newsgroup when we're
all trying to disseminate some solid information in a format thats
existed for ages it just seems the priority would be to help people out.
Besides I can think of better battles to wage.  (Yes I know I threw the
first punch, so Im a liitle hypocritical, but Chris' attitude on the
last thread when we addressed this topic was a little condescending.)
Anyway, I always enjoy geting into it with you.  We may not agree, but
you are always a gentleman when presenting your arguments.  People like
you make it fun to banter.

lou