Assitance re: PICK screen, a tough question

Assitance re: PICK screen, a tough question

Post by Timothy9 » Thu, 17 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I am new to fmpro, old at db design.  One of the classic data entry aids was
refered to as a "pick" screen.  It functioned as follows: to add data that
served as a reference to a master file from the the common field of the related
file, you hit a button visible from the entry screen of the master record, then
saw a list of records from the related file, picked the one you want (scroll
and hit enter or I suppose or double click) and PRESTO the data from the common
field is returned and entered in the master file.  YES, you are saying that
defining a value list to the related file and doing a pop-up that displays the
common field (say item number) and a descriptive field (say description) works

field, which in some instances buries the common field and makes it difficult,
if not impossible to find the record you want SO-
Please advise-
1.  If anyone has a way to change how the drop down sorts and displays the
list.
2.  OR if there is sample script that will hop the user to a list screen in the
related file, show the records, (that's the easy part) AND allow the user to
select from the screen the record he/she wants, returning a specified field and
entering to the master record.

my eternal thanks, and the appreciation of many others, for your assistance.
tim conlon

http://www.tjcesq.com

Post by Hans Rijnbo » Thu, 17 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>Please advise-
>1.  If anyone has a way to change how the drop down sorts and displays the
>list.
>2.  OR if there is sample script that will hop the user to a list screen in the
>related file, show the records, (that's the easy part) AND allow the user to
>select from the screen the record he/she wants, returning a specified field and
>entering to the master record.

1 If you make sure that the descriptive second field is unindexed (in
'Storage Options'), the list will be sorted according to the first field.

2. If you view the related records through a portal in the master record,
you can cover the first portal row with a transparent button with a
script: Set Field [current file:: destination field, relationship::source
field]. This button will be repeated on every row and use the associated
related record as its source. Clicking on a portal row then returns the
specified source field and enters its value into the master record.

--
Hans Rijnbout
Bureau Scheikunde, Sorbonnelaan 16

Assitance re: PICK screen, a tough question

Post by Timothy9 » Fri, 18 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Both solutions sound very useful, depending on cricumstances, thanks much.
Will try implementation today
tim conlon

http://www.tjcesq.com

1. question: going from screen to screen

my app has a few input screens, which call other input screens based on
the input.  the windows are varying sizes, and it looks quite nasty when a
smaller window is displayed on top of a larger one.

i would just call these screens with DO screen.spr, but here's the situation:

screen newjob - user inputs job parameters, program finds scheduling information
screen selectteam - displays job finish dates per team (based on availability)

what if on window selectteam the user selects "cancel"?  perhaps they see
the job finish dates, and are willing to change the job parameters in
order to finish sooner.

i guess i'm looking for a way to "hide" the newjob window while the
selectteam window is displayed, but keep the data that had been input onto
it intact (because after the team is selected, the data from the newjob
window is placed in a dbf file).

help?

narayan

2. SQL7 intall failed twice on Win95 - no pss

3. Tough security / login credentials question!

4. Remote Access to DB on NT Server

5. A tough question about constraint

6. slow query analyser

7. Tough View Question (at least for me)

8. Formatted Memos

9. Tough Question for SQL Server Programmers...

10. Tough Create Table Question

11. Tough SQL question

12. Tough question about system tables.

13. Tough security / login credentials question!