safest way to change filenames?

Post by stev » Fri, 14 Feb 2003 00:13:28

I have a solution with several modeules (AP, AR, etc.)

Each module has 6 or 7 "core" files, and about 9 files that pull
information from that set of core files.  I'd like to start adopting a
standard for naming my files, which necessitates changing the names of
the core files.
I found out the hard way it's best to have a system for changing
filenames, otherwise you spend a lot of time rebuilding scripts and
re-defining relationships.  What's the recommended method for changing
lots of filenames at once without losing these relationships, etc. ?

Thanks !

Steve

safest way to change filenames?

Post by Howard Schlossber » Fri, 14 Feb 2003 00:35:33

Once you have more than about three simple files, I wouldn't attempt
file name changes without FileMaker Developer and it's built-in renaming
utility.  It corrects (nearly) ALL file references: in scripts,
relationships, valuelists, etc.

The only exception are calc functions (mostly in functions that the
average Joe doesn't use) where the file name is a text parameter, such
as in Valuelistitems, where the file name must be enclosed with quotes.
  But even here, I try to always use status(currentfilename) in these
functions so that it is not affected by file name changes.

> I have a solution with several modeules (AP, AR, etc.)

> Each module has 6 or 7 "core" files, and about 9 files that pull
> information from that set of core files.  I'd like to start adopting a
> standard for naming my files, which necessitates changing the names of
> the core files.
> I found out the hard way it's best to have a system for changing
> filenames, otherwise you spend a lot of time rebuilding scripts and
> re-defining relationships.  What's the recommended method for changing
> lots of filenames at once without losing these relationships, etc. ?

> Thanks !

> Steve

Howard Schlossberg              (818) 883-2846
FM Pro Solutions       Los Angeles, California

safest way to change filenames?

Post by Le Nomade.Co » Fri, 14 Feb 2003 22:22:57

Hello
use FM dev it's pratically the only way.
bye

> I have a solution with several modeules (AP, AR, etc.)

> Each module has 6 or 7 "core" files, and about 9 files that pull
> information from that set of core files.  I'd like to start adopting a
> standard for naming my files, which necessitates changing the names of
> the core files.
> I found out the hard way it's best to have a system for changing
> filenames, otherwise you spend a lot of time rebuilding scripts and
> re-defining relationships.  What's the recommended method for changing
> lots of filenames at once without losing these relationships, etc. ?

> Thanks !

> Steve

1. ways to detect that a table was changed ?

Hi,

My application needs to refresh its copy of data if some tables are changed.
Ideal solutions would be that:
  1) Configure Informix to generate a Unix (or some kind of) signal
    to the applic. when a table(or column of a table) is modified -OR-
  2) setup a trigger to run a unix program to generate signal to our applic.

But I guess, informix doesn't support above schemes. Or does it ?

Or, how about:
  3)does informix provide timestamps of tables or columns so an applic.
    checks periodically if a table or a column was changed(just
    like timestamps of files)?
   If this is possible, where is this data in database and how to access it?

Otherwise, my other crude options are:
  4) define tables to hold timestamps, and setup triggers on every column
     of every table that needs to be monitored, and the triggers would fill
     these timestamp-tables which are periodically monitored by applic.
  5) Not use create timestamp-tables but have applic. check periodically and
     do some in-direct processing (and I have few possible thoughts)
     like doing logical diffs on data etc.

We are using informix 7.3 and solaris 2.6. (BTW, the applic. is in Java).
Being able to detect a table change is also useful for administrators.
Any opinions or experiences that you can share ?

Thanks
AH

2. Extraction Tools

3. change databasename filename

4. What's a good database program?

5. Import File Package with Filename that changes

6. Do I Need A DBMS or Data Warehouse??

7. How Do I dynamically Change a Source FileName in a DTS Package

8. ODBC Timeout expired????

9. not safe to change calculated column formulae with live data

10. newbie:how do you programatically change the filename in DTS

11. Change Logical Filename in 7.0

12. Changing Logical Filename

13. change DB location (filename)