How do you prevent piracy??

Post by ek_on » Mon, 19 Aug 2002 04:15:52

Hi all, I'm writing a database for a customer that I don't really trust.
Call me paranoid, but whats stopping this "customer" from copying the files
I've written and selling them to everyone in town? I've got a few security
ideas in mind and need some opinions. If I have a password system that for
every 100 records the file must be unlocked. If this is done by me, there's
no way they can call everyone they've sold it to and give them access.
Anyone think this will work?

-- Thanks for your help

How do you prevent piracy??

Post by John Weinshe » Mon, 19 Aug 2002 04:56:12

Filemaker password security is not particularly robust; how seriously you
want to protect your files should depend on how likely are potential hackers
to apply extra-Filemaker tools to getting in, as well as how valuable are
the files in the first place.

With Filemaker Developer, you can bind the files to remove the code. That
removal is final-- not even you can retrieve it.

--
John Weinshel
Datagrace

Quote:> Hi all, I'm writing a database for a customer that I don't really trust.
> Call me paranoid, but whats stopping this "customer" from copying the
files
> I've written and selling them to everyone in town? I've got a few security
> ideas in mind and need some opinions. If I have a password system that for
> every 100 records the file must be unlocked. If this is done by me,
there's
> no way they can call everyone they've sold it to and give them access.
> Anyone think this will work?

> -- Thanks for your help

How do you prevent piracy??

Post by Michael Stou » Mon, 19 Aug 2002 05:06:22

I would suggest something like a license agreement and a master password
protected file. You could also do something like StatusCurrentUser and hard
code in the users allowed if not quit. My reservation for limiting records
would be that this may create more work than you really want.
--
Michael Stout

http://www.fmpdev.com/

Quote:> Hi all, I'm writing a database for a customer that I don't really trust.
> Call me paranoid, but whats stopping this "customer" from copying the
files
> I've written and selling them to everyone in town? I've got a few security
> ideas in mind and need some opinions. If I have a password system that for
> every 100 records the file must be unlocked. If this is done by me,
there's
> no way they can call everyone they've sold it to and give them access.
> Anyone think this will work?

> -- Thanks for your help

How do you prevent piracy??

Post by ek_on » Tue, 20 Aug 2002 00:30:31

I think I found a way.

2 globals and a startup script that checks if global #1 is empty. If so it
sets status(currenthost) to this field. If the file is moved to a different
machine, the script compares global#1 to global#2 which is set to status
(currenthost) regardless of if it is empty. Ifthey don't match, it asks for
a password that allows access.

I would guess nobody has the same machine name, and most don't know how to
change it (in my particular target profession anyway)

sound good?

Thanks for your help

Quote:> Hi all, I'm writing a database for a customer that I don't really trust.
> Call me paranoid, but whats stopping this "customer" from copying the
files
> I've written and selling them to everyone in town? I've got a few security
> ideas in mind and need some opinions. If I have a password system that for
> every 100 records the file must be unlocked. If this is done by me,
there's
> no way they can call everyone they've sold it to and give them access.
> Anyone think this will work?

> -- Thanks for your help

How do you prevent piracy??

Post by Tom Fitc » Thu, 22 Aug 2002 02:41:49

Only trouble is if they can save a clone, the global will be empty
again.

Tom Fitch
Fitch & Fitch
Portland, Oregon

Quote:> 2 globals and a startup script that checks if global #1 is empty. If so it

Post by Jemmy Duck » Thu, 22 Aug 2002 08:26:28

> Only trouble is if they can save a clone, the global will be empty
> again.

If the user's menu access is restricted, however, the user would not be
able to save a clone. Correct?

How do you prevent piracy??

Post by Fenton Jon » Thu, 22 Aug 2002 12:25:10

If you don't give them the master password then they can't alter the
structure. You should also include an "About" layout. If you use the
Developer it can put its script wherever the About menu lives.
It can be very simple. Here is an example of mine (kind of old). Be
advised, this is not legal advice. This is just what it says to do in
the 5.0 Developer Edition manual. It is required for distributing
"bound" solutions, but I believe it would apply to any solution:

Fenton Jones Consulting
1728 Meade Ave
San Diego, CA 92116-3930

For technical support call (619) 692-1529

Warning: This solution contains password(s) which can only be provided
by the developer identified above.

Portions of this software are copyright 1984-2001 FileMaker, Inc.
All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001 Fenton Jones
(this is optional, but I like it :-)

This notice lets FileMaker Inc. know that you have rights, and they
will not break it open to reveal the master password unless the person
asking can prove they have a license that says so. Explicitly retain
that right only for yourself in a written contract.

This doesn't stop them selling it "as is" to others however. One
simple trick is to hard-code their company name into some of the
layouts. They might even like that, kind of a personalization. Don't
tell them that they can't change it, and that you're doing it because
you suspect they are dishonest.
Tell them they can call you and you'll change it for them anytime for
free. Create it as a field in a 1-record Menu file, which they can't
access, then reference it from everywhere else, so you can change it
quickly, but they can't.

How do you prevent piracy??

Post by Tom Fitc » Sun, 25 Aug 2002 08:58:28

Quote:> > Only trouble is if they can save a clone, the global will be empty
> > again.

> If the user's menu access is restricted, however, the user would not be
> able to save a clone. Correct?

Correct.

Tom Fitch
Fitch & Fitch
Portland, Oregon

How do you prevent piracy??

Post by ek_on » Thu, 29 Aug 2002 07:45:40

My theory is working out very well. I've been testing for a few days trying
to think of a way to work around it. So far seems pretty solid. If my end
user gets past it, They wanted it pretty bad.

I've got a small sample file I used to test it first. If you want it , email
me.

Thanks for your help.

> > > Only trouble is if they can save a clone, the global will be empty
> > > again.

> > If the user's menu access is restricted, however, the user would not be
> > able to save a clone. Correct?

> Correct.

> Tom Fitch
> Fitch & Fitch
> Portland, Oregon

1. Preventing Piracy

What is the best way to prevent illegal piracy of computer programs written
in Java?

If each distribution CD is given its own unique ID, and each user has an ID
that is verified through the internet to a data base on a server which is
checked during the install program, could this be an effective means of
preventing piracy.

Is there any way to prevent a user from copying files from one computer to
another and duplicating registry settings and "hidden" files.

In essence, what is the best way to prevent piracy?

2. Generating schema SQL scripts via command line.

3. Preventing Software Piracy

4. Database Technologies

5. checking for correct data entry or preventing that it can be done

6. multiple aliased tables

7. Problem with other db app preventing me from doing SQL selects thru ODBC

8. DSN doesn't appear

9. Protecting VB apps from piracy

10. Help Us Stop Piracy-Earn Rewards!!!

11. Software Piracy

13. PIRACY MICROSOFT PROGRAM FROM MACAU $6 EACH