Calculated subtotal of a subset of a subset in a file

Calculated subtotal of a subset of a subset in a file

Post by Scott B Wasserman S » Thu, 14 Dec 2000 08:11:08

I'm trying to get a calculated subtotal of a subset of a subset in a file to
appear in a calculated field.

Trades (file) (500 records)
    Account Number (text field) (50 records)
        Ticker (text field) (5 records)
            Net (number field) (5 records)

                looking for sum of 'Net' for those 5 records

Would like to have a calculated field display the sum total of the field
'Net' for all instances of a given stock in a given account.

Any ideas ???

Thanks, Scott

Calculated subtotal of a subset of a subset in a file

Post by Jame » Thu, 14 Dec 2000 10:06:22

Hi Scott -

If you can determine a common criterion for all the records you want to include
in the set you are calculating on, whether it is a value in the text field
Ticker that they all share, or a concatenation of Account Number and Ticker that
they all share, you can use the GetSummary function.  Hope this suggestion leads
you to a solution.

Best of Luck -
James

Quote:> I'm trying to get a calculated subtotal of a subset of a subset in a file to

--
Don't forget to remove the obvious spam blocks when replying.
I advocate making an address book entry and using it!  Thanks!

1. Drop down list with only subset of values from other file

I have a file which contains records on films. I have another file which
contains film prints. This file contains a field which is the film id,
in order to provide the relationship with films. I can create a value
list which the film id and film name, sorting on film name. This
provides a list of every film, which is not what I want. Only certain
films in the films file can be have a film print. There is a field in
the films file that identifies this.

I thought I could create a calculated field like:
if (film type = "abc", film id, "")

and use this as the film id but this doesn't work. It just makes the id
blank in the list. Does anyone have any ideas?

--
Matthew Smith
(to reply via email remove xxx)

2. Dev. Ed. moves Mac System Folder files: help!

3. Creating subset in same file

4. Euro-sign

5. Subset of Original record - portal or separate file?

6. Migrating to 8.2 ?

7. Portal to View File Subset

8. some connect problem

9. Creating a subset database file

10. Subsets

11. Foreign Key as subset of Primary Key

12. data security by limited record subset

13. Subset of a result set from a Stored Procedure