date format and field names

Post by Chris Tozie » Fri, 12 Apr 1996 04:00:00

I want Paradox to be able to automatically update calculated fields.  For
example:  I have fields such as  sum([xxx.March]) that will calculate the
numbers in field March.  But I have to manually change that calc every
month.  The calculated month must always be the month previous to the
current month (calculate March's data if this is April).  I have set up
an object that determines the necessary month, but it is a date format
and I can't integrate that into a field name.  Also, the data I'm
calculating will not be posted to a table.  Any ideas?

[...]

Post by Gene Griswol » Mon, 15 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Weird how this message got posted 6 times.
Your problem is design. No way in database design should you have a
field named March,April,May etc. It violates all the rules on
normalization. What is this thing your counting? Payments made? Then
have a payments table with an id that matches to the right record in the
master table and an amount field and a date field or month field. Work
from there.

Gene G.

1. Date format for Oracle Forms date field

This is my first post to this newsgroup, so please let me know if it is
mis-posted.

Question:
--------
Has anybody figured out a nice way to allow a user to enter the date in
a date field on a form with AND without delimiters?

Oracle's party line is to constrain the user with the FX prefix so that
they can't enter an invalid date (one without delimiters).  Without the
FX prefix, and with a format mask of MM/DD/YYYY, a user can enter
12121994 and end up with a parsed date of 12/21/0094.  It takes the 3rd
and 6th characters:

                12 1 21 9 94
                12 / 21 / 94

and automatically replaces them with delimiters and the result is
12/21/0094.

A mask of MMDDYYYY won't allow delimiters at all, so this is not a
solution either.

I am curious if anyone has found a more user-friendly solution than the
one that Oracle gave me.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

John Macpherson

--
       John E. Macpherson       |  H A M I L T O N   S T A N D A R D
    Senior Software Engineer    |    A United Technologies Company

2. resetting MSLast_job_info

3. Date Fields (Strings To Date Format)

4. Subscribe

5. Exporting fields with array fields (and a date format question)

6. SQL Debugging

7. Date Time format to Date format

8. *****US-CHI. TANDEM PLATFORM (RECRUITER)

9. Formatting field names

10. Quickly creating INSERT INTO statement - formatting a string of field names

11. Assigning Names to Flat Fixed Format Fields

12. ADO: format rs!xxxxx when the field name exists in more than one table

13. how do i set the date format to myd in a field in a table