Paradox 4.5 DOS and Novell Network Question

Paradox 4.5 DOS and Novell Network Question

Post by Tom Ca » Thu, 17 Feb 2000 04:00:00



This is kind of an extension of my last post, but I felt it necessary
to ask these questions to all users that have input...

And THANKS again for all your input, as this NG rocks!

What is the deal with Dos share, and windows 95/98 in using Paradox
4.5 DOS?

We used to use share as a locking method, and now what....because we
are 95B we have no share, what happens? Paradox seems to be okay with
it, or is it? This has been an area of controvery for me as a network
guy. There is a spot in Paradox config where you set the network type
and stuff....what should we have it set at to run dos/win95B/win98
stations? We run on an all IPX Novell network.

And by the way: Client32 seems to cause paradox harm in every install,
so we use the MS client w/NDS, and a NWREDIR.VXD update I got from
bill gates :) Without this VXD update, the problem is paradox sees "No
Disk Space" and that's because our drive is like 7 gigs, with the
patch, it sees the max of like 2.1 gig, so it seems happy.

We are having lock problems every day, have to get all the users out,
delete the *.lck, etc, etc.
Some times it's just one user causing the whole database to hang, but
it can be tough to find  that one guy....

Any input is appreciated!

Thanks Again!

Tom Carr

-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

 
 
 

Paradox 4.5 DOS and Novell Network Question

Post by Steve Gree » Thu, 17 Feb 2000 04:00:00



> What is the deal with Dos share, and windows 95/98 in using Paradox
> 4.5 DOS?

DOS Share isn't needed under win95/98/NT.. but if you're sharing pdox data
locally, you still need -share on the pdox command line..

Quote:> There is a spot in Paradox config where you set the network type
> and stuff....what should we have it set at to run dos/win95B/win98
> stations? We run on an all IPX Novell network.

Network Type "Other" is universally the safest option.. with a Novell
server, you can use "Novell" but I can't guarantee that there isn't
anything about a "modern" Novell network that's different from what pdox's
1993 version expects.. stick with "Other"

Quote:> And by the way: Client32 seems to cause paradox harm in every install,
> so we use the MS client w/NDS, and a NWREDIR.VXD update I got from
> bill gates :) Without this VXD update, the problem is paradox sees "No
> Disk Space" and that's because our drive is like 7 gigs, with the
> patch, it sees the max of like 2.1 gig, so it seems happy.

most people have found that MS Client is more stable.. and the disk space
issues are cured by using Lesspace.com, which you can find on my web
site..

Quote:> We are having lock problems every day, have to get all the users out,
> delete the *.lck, etc, etc.
> Some times it's just one user causing the whole database to hang, but
> it can be tough to find  that one guy....

don't you just love windows? <g>.. make sure -bios is on the pdox command
line.. and in Control Panel, kill off Oportunistic Locking and
Write-behind Caching..

--
Steve Green
Corel CTech - Paradox
Diamond Software Group, Inc.
Waldorf, Maryland  USA

http://www.diamondsg.com


 
 
 

Paradox 4.5 DOS and Novell Network Question

Post by Frédéric G. MARAN » Thu, 17 Feb 2000 04:00:00


Most people have probably also found that MS client is not a full-fledged
client, preventing your use of NDS-enabled applications (small things like
NDPS printing, login scripts that don't crash your workstation, task
scheduler, pconsole, netadmin, nwadmin... :-( )




[...]
> most people have found that MS Client is more stable.. and the disk space
> issues are cured by using Lesspace.com, which you can find on my web
> site..

[...]
 
 
 

Paradox 4.5 DOS and Novell Network Question

Post by Tom Ca » Thu, 17 Feb 2000 04:00:00


Steve,
        I thank you for your FAST reply!

Where exactly do you disable "Opertunistic" locking, as I go into the
device manager, or system icon in the control panel, then performance
tab, then click on file system, and we set the read ahead optimization
to "Zero" and troubleshooting tab, we check disable write behind cache
on all drives, but which one is for opertunistic locks?

I know the is a must to turn off, as it makes sense, our new volumes
do not support that type of lock.

THANKS AGAIN!

Tom Carr

Quote:

>don't you just love windows? <g>.. make sure -bios is on the pdox command
>line.. and in Control Panel, kill off Oportunistic Locking and
>Write-behind Caching..

-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----
 
 
 

Paradox 4.5 DOS and Novell Network Question

Post by Tom Ca » Thu, 17 Feb 2000 04:00:00


true, however as a true Novell lover, I have to admit the client32
causes manu issues with many programs, as any client software does. As
you point out , you have to have client32 somewhere, but in a legacy
shop such as ours, with pdox45 dos , client32 is no good..:(

I am also gonna try that lessspace rather than , and in addition to ,
the NWREDIR.VXD update for the MS client.....

Tom Carr

On Wed, 16 Feb 2000 19:04:05 +0100, "Frdric G. MARAND"


>Most people have probably also found that MS client is not a full-fledged
>client, preventing your use of NDS-enabled applications (small things like
>NDPS printing, login scripts that don't crash your workstation, task
>scheduler, pconsole, netadmin, nwadmin... :-( )




>[...]
>> most people have found that MS Client is more stable.. and the disk space
>> issues are cured by using Lesspace.com, which you can find on my web
>> site..
>[...]

-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----
 
 
 

Paradox 4.5 DOS and Novell Network Question

Post by Steve Gree » Thu, 17 Feb 2000 04:00:00



> Where exactly do you disable "Opertunistic" locking, as I go into the
> device manager, or system icon in the control panel, then performance
> tab, then click on file system, and we set the read ahead optimization
> to "Zero" and troubleshooting tab, we check disable write behind cache
> on all drives, but which one is for opertunistic locks?

you found your way to it.. opportunistic locking is the first check box on
that screen, and write-behind is the last one.. (or vice versa)

--
Steve Green
Corel CTech - Paradox
Diamond Software Group, Inc.
Waldorf, Maryland  USA

http://www.diamondsg.com

 
 
 

Paradox 4.5 DOS and Novell Network Question

Post by Tom Ca » Fri, 18 Feb 2000 04:00:00


Steve,
        THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP.
        Just did it, and we will try it and see......

Tom Carr




>> Where exactly do you disable "Opertunistic" locking, as I go into the
>> device manager, or system icon in the control panel, then performance
>> tab, then click on file system, and we set the read ahead optimization
>> to "Zero" and troubleshooting tab, we check disable write behind cache
>> on all drives, but which one is for opertunistic locks?

>you found your way to it.. opportunistic locking is the first check box on
>that screen, and write-behind is the last one.. (or vice versa)

-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----
 
 
 

Paradox 4.5 DOS and Novell Network Question

Post by root » Tue, 22 Feb 2000 04:00:00


Maybe you only should have a partition which is less than 1 GByte.
We had such problems on Linux maxhines and could solve it this way.

Karl-Anton


> This is kind of an extension of my last post, but I felt it necessary
> to ask these questions to all users that have input...

> And THANKS again for all your input, as this NG rocks!

> What is the deal with Dos share, and windows 95/98 in using Paradox
> 4.5 DOS?

> We used to use share as a locking method, and now what....because we
> are 95B we have no share, what happens? Paradox seems to be okay with
> it, or is it? This has been an area of controvery for me as a network
> guy. There is a spot in Paradox config where you set the network type
> and stuff....what should we have it set at to run dos/win95B/win98
> stations? We run on an all IPX Novell network.

> And by the way: Client32 seems to cause paradox harm in every install,
> so we use the MS client w/NDS, and a NWREDIR.VXD update I got from
> bill gates :) Without this VXD update, the problem is paradox sees "No
> Disk Space" and that's because our drive is like 7 gigs, with the
> patch, it sees the max of like 2.1 gig, so it seems happy.

> We are having lock problems every day, have to get all the users out,
> delete the *.lck, etc, etc.
> Some times it's just one user causing the whole database to hang, but
> it can be tough to find  that one guy....

> Any input is appreciated!

> Thanks Again!

> Tom Carr

> -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
> http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
> -----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

 
 
 

Paradox 4.5 DOS and Novell Network Question

Post by Randyw Wilso » Wed, 23 Feb 2000 04:00:00


Quote:> Maybe you only should have a partition which is less than 1 GByte.
> We had such problems on Linux maxhines and could solve it this way.

> Karl-Anton

I use a 4G mirrored partition on NW5.0 and client32 v3.0.1.0other than the odd pdoxusrs.lck  problem
it wokrs fine

Randy Wilson System Admin Farnell Packaging.


> > This is kind of an extension of my last post, but I felt it necessary
> > to ask these questions to all users that have input...

> > And THANKS again for all your input, as this NG rocks!

> > What is the deal with Dos share, and windows 95/98 in using Paradox
> > 4.5 DOS?

> > We used to use share as a locking method, and now what....because we
> > are 95B we have no share, what happens? Paradox seems to be okay with
> > it, or is it? This has been an area of controvery for me as a network
> > guy. There is a spot in Paradox config where you set the network type
> > and stuff....what should we have it set at to run dos/win95B/win98
> > stations? We run on an all IPX Novell network.

> > And by the way: Client32 seems to cause paradox harm in every install,
> > so we use the MS client w/NDS, and a NWREDIR.VXD update I got from
> > bill gates :) Without this VXD update, the problem is paradox sees "No
> > Disk Space" and that's because our drive is like 7 gigs, with the
> > patch, it sees the max of like 2.1 gig, so it seems happy.

> > We are having lock problems every day, have to get all the users out,
> > delete the *.lck, etc, etc.
> > Some times it's just one user causing the whole database to hang, but
> > it can be tough to find  that one guy....

> > Any input is appreciated!

> > Thanks Again!

> > Tom Carr

> > -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
> > http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
> > -----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

 
 
 

1. Paradox 4.5 DOS Database problems in Novell 3.12

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is an application problem or an OS problem, but I'm
installing a five user license server.exe on a Dell Poweredge server, to be
swapped with our 50 user license server.exe once it is up.  I've installed
the minimum patches and the logins, drive mappings, and file creation and
manipulation work fine in DOS, Win95, 98 and NT4.  Settings for both servers
are as identical as possible.  The problem occurs when I try to manipulate a
database file within paradox.  The application reports not enough drive
space.  Script creation is fine.  Editor use is unaffected.  I can even copy
tables.  But posting records and even form and report design is not possible
due to insufficient disk space.  DriveSpace() returns 0.  There is currently
6.20GB free on the volume.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Lorrin Moore

2. Set in WHERE-Clause ?!

3. Paradox 4.5 for DOS and Novell

4. Converting LONG columns to NCLOB

5. Novell Client32 and Paradox 4.5 for DOS

6. Single Database Restore / Single DBSPACE RESTORE

7. Running Paradox 4.5 for Dos on a network

8. Rounding issues

9. Windows 95 Networking with Paradox 4.5 for DOS

10. PARADOX FOR DOS 4.5 Speed of printing on a Windows 95 network

11. Win 95 Network Problem w/Paradox 4.5 for DOS

12. Paradox 4.5 for DOS on a network

13. Paradox for DOS 4.5 on a NT Network