Conversion Paradox 3.5 DOS to Paradox 4.5 Windows

Conversion Paradox 3.5 DOS to Paradox 4.5 Windows

Post by tj » Mon, 11 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Actually, Borland's object converters for Paradox *5.0* do indeed
offer a script converter in addition to a form and report converter.
You'd have to use Paradox 5.0 to run them, though.  The conversion of
scripts is only partial, but anything which cannot be converted to
live code is at least moved to the PdoxWin script as commented code so
that you can look at it and convert the rest of it yourself.

Tim

>I have a relational application developed under Paradox 3.5 for DOS.
>There is some (but minimal) PAL script.
>The files are related as follows:
>                  RECORD ALBUMS
>            ____M:1_____|___1:M________
>            |                         |
>      BAND MEMBERS                  SONGS
>The screens for displaying record items have scrollable boxes,
>showing the band members and the tracks in line with the one to many
>relationships.

>I'd like to convert it across to Paradox 4.5 for Windows.
>Is there such a facility built into the Windows product or some other
>way of achieving the goal?
>Thanks in advance                       wal

>BDQ, 19 Woodend Drive,           Phone:  +44 (0) 1344 21161 / 873679
>Ascot, Berkshire  SL5 9BD, UK.  Mobile:  +44 0585 893461

1. Converting from Paradox 3.5 for DOS to Paradox 5.0 for Windows

: Hi everyone.  I have a couple questions about Paradox 5.0 that I hope you
: can answer.  Please forgive me if they have been asked before or are in
: the FAQ (I wasn't able to find it).

: 1.  Is there an equivalent to CoEdit for the windows version?  I'm :
planning : to install 5.0 on everyone's workstations, but sharing the data
on our : network.  Will there be problems with sharing data that way?

The default (in fact, the ONLY way) is co-edit, called simply EDIT in
Windows.  If you want EDIT like DOS version you have to specify a full
lock on the table.

: 2.  I have a table which I'd like to use as a pull down menu as well.
Is : there : an easy way to make the entries in the table become items in
the list?  I : would : get rid of the table entirely, except we use it to
run queries off of.  I : guess : the alternative would be, is there a way
to include the items of a list : in : a query?

Pull down menu?  I think you meant dropList?  There's an example in the
manual on how to do this.  It's about the "datasource" property of the
list.

You can have "variable queries" just like DOS version.  The tilde query
is still valid, and in fact is more useful here.

: 3.  Having never programmed in an Object based language before, I'm :
finding it : difficult not to think in a sequential, procedural way.  Does
anyone know : of : any books out there that will help make the transition
easier?  I thought : it might : be neat to be able to use a reference that
talks about the differences : with : PAL and OPAL in more depth than the
Borland manuals.

There's a Borland techfax on this subject.  See your support document for
details.  Techfax is free.

I find it helpful to think of what is the task that needs to be done,
then design the user interface, (tableframe or multi-record?  what type
of buttons?  etc.)  then finally put in some code in the buttons and
stuff to make them actually do what you wnat.

--
+============================================================================+

|| Pretty good Paradox for Windows Programmer, self-proclaimed Treknologist ||
|| [  the rest of this sig is under construction until further notice...  ] ||
+============================================================================+

2. DataGrid update question

3. Paradox DOS 4.0/4.5 to Paradox for Windows

4. Searching

5. Paradox 3.5, 4.0, or 4.5 for DOS

6. Procedure returning empty output parameter

7. Paradox 4.01 DOS and Paradox 4.5 Windows

8. sort order

9. Paradox 3.5 scripts --> Paradox 4.5 OPAL scripts

10. Paradox 3.5 in a DOS windows under WIndows 9x

11. Paradox 4.5 for DOS and Windows 95 DOS 7.x

12. Paradox DOS to Paradox Windows Conversion help needed

13. Paradox 3.5 to Paradox 8 Conversion