PARADOX ENGINE in DOS and PARADOX database

PARADOX ENGINE in DOS and PARADOX database

Post by Crane Electronic » Thu, 13 Nov 1997 04:00:00

RE: BORLAND PARADOX ENGINE + DFX

We have used BORLAND PARADOX ENGINE Version 3.01, to create an application
about 3 years ago. Our customers have been happy using these for a long
time.
Only recently  one of customer wanted to access the Database files, using
your
standard PARADOX Database to access the Database which is created using
the ENGINE. Although we have not tried this ourselves we, assumed it
should be O.K and quite straight forward to do.

When the customer attempted to open the Files using The PARADOX database
it Prompts for a Password to access the database files.
As we did not use any Password or any password functions when creating the
database files, we are not sure why is it is asking for a password.

We need anyone's expert advice on what has caused this database to prompt
for
a Password, and how do we get round this as our customer has lot of this
files
created over last 2 years.

Please note when we attempted this using the Microsoft Queries (MS ODBC)
using the Paradox Driver and we could not access it either as it prompted
for a password.

Please HELP !!!!

PARADOX ENGINE in DOS and PARADOX database

Post by Kasey Chang (fix address before replying to m » Fri, 14 Nov 1997 04:00:00

On 12 Nov 97 13:26:57 GMT, "Crane Electronics"

>RE: BORLAND PARADOX ENGINE + DFX
>We have used BORLAND PARADOX ENGINE Version 3.01, to create an application
>about 3 years ago. Our customers have been happy using these for a long
>time.
>Only recently  one of customer wanted to access the Database files, using
>your
>standard PARADOX Database to access the Database which is created using
>the ENGINE. Although we have not tried this ourselves we, assumed it
>should be O.K and quite straight forward to do.
>When the customer attempted to open the Files using The PARADOX database
>it Prompts for a Password to access the database files.
>As we did not use any Password or any password functions when creating the
>database files, we are not sure why is it is asking for a password.
>We need anyone's expert advice on what has caused this database to prompt
>for
>a Password, and how do we get round this as our customer has lot of this
>files
>created over last 2 years.
>Please note when we attempted this using the Microsoft Queries (MS ODBC)
>using the Paradox Driver and we could not access it either as it prompted
>for a password.

Both can be chalked up to the same reason: WRONG VERSION OF THE TABLE.
If you use 3.X to access 4.X tables, you will be prompted for a
password, which obviously does not exist. The "default" MS Query ODBC
drivers are 3.X drivers, which obviously doesn't read 4.X tables.

PDOXWIN, Star Trek, Computer Games, Science Fiction, Writing, && more
Commercial use of this e-mail address implies your consent to pay me
amounts of up to US$100.00 per e-mail message from you received by me.

PARADOX ENGINE in DOS and PARADOX database

Post by MongoAna » Wed, 19 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>>When the customer attempted to open the Files using The PARADOX database
>>it Prompts for a Password to access the database files.
>>As we did not use any Password or any password functions when creating the
>>database files, we are not sure

I agree with last opinion.
You are probably trying to read the database as an incorrect
version of pdox.

PARADOX ENGINE in DOS and PARADOX database

Post by Steven Gree » Thu, 20 Nov 1997 04:00:00

When a program that deals with Pdox tables asks for
a password on a table that you *know* is not encrypted
the table is version 4.x or higher, and the program
is expecting version 3.x tables..

--
Steve Green - Diamond software Group - Waldorf Maryland USA

and Corel's CTech tech support staffs but I don't represent
Borland International or Corel in any official capacity.