Rem Lock

Post by Jan Blickster » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 20:32:03

Following previous advice to use RemLock following a crash, and remove the
lck files properly, I have found that users are unable to access the Paradox
10 database, untill they have also deleted the *.lck files from the PRIV
directory on their hard disk.

Is this expected, or have I done something wrong?

TIA

Rem Lock

Post by Sundial Service » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 22:53:00

> Following previous advice to use RemLock following a crash, and remove the
> lck files properly, I have found that users are unable to access the
> Paradox 10 database, untill they have also deleted the *.lck files from
> the PRIV directory on their hard disk.

> Is this expected, or have I done something wrong?

You haven't done anything wrong, nor have you done anything unsafe.

".LCK" files are the basis of the locking-mechanism.  A directory used as
:PRIV: naturally has a lock placed on it to keep anyone else from using it.
If Paradox dies, the lock-file may not be cleaned up.

It is safe to attempt to delete this file because, if anyone does have it
open, Windows won't allow you to delete it.  So, if you do succeed, it
cannot have been in-use.

----------------------------------
Fast automatic table repair at a click of a mouse!
http://www.sundialservices.com/products/chimneysweep

1. Slow Performance - INMEM000.REM file ???

Hello all,

I am in the process of trouble shooting a performance issue within an
application that is linking to SQL Server 7 on an NT platform.

The core issue being unacceptable increasingly degraded performance during
update actions.  It seems as if a file (inmem000.rem) is being dumped into
the clients Temp directory and has grown in size to something greater than
110Mb thus far.  Several actions within the application seem to interact
with this file and cause it to grow.  Repeated attempts to replicate the
issue on other standalone configurations and clone networks do not seem to
have these problems (nor is it an issue within an Oracle 8 environment).

Upon closing the application down the file is cleaned up (sometimes) and
does not reappear until the application is started.  When the App restarts
it creates a 0Kb file... once data is updated within the app the file again
grows to its prior size and slows the system down.

Viewing the file in a text editor provides some direction in that it seems
to hold query strings (i.e. Select Where statements) that do relate to the
application...  I do not believe that my app is creating the file and rather
believe that SQL Server is utilizing the file in some way.

Any ideas as to what the file is and how to reign the size and performance
issues back in check?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.  TIA
-Rob

2. Extended Stored Procedures

3. Interbase sql to VFP6 rem view

4. Convert Access 97 - Access 2000

5. REM

6. Column Sorrting

7. Page lock to simulate row level lock

8. ODBC API: sqlstate 22002

9. DTS locks Access 97 database - and leaves it locked even once completed

10. Locking advice needed - are locking hints needed here?

11. No DeadLocks ...Lock file locks

12. Intent Exclusive Lock and Intent Share Lock

13. Lock request timeout when viewing locks