YWIN 5¨ DB-Link to Sybase

Post by Shlomo Wygod » Wed, 04 Jan 1995 21:57:32

 have a Sybase database on a Unix HP, and I try to connect to it using
Pdoxwin 5.0 and SQL Link 2.0. I defined a SYBASE alias, but when trying to
connect it using the Alias manager in Paradox, I get the message:

Db-library network communications layer not added.

Now what do they mean by that? Any help, somebody?

--

   Tel:       +972 3 5388888, +972 3 5388853     Fax:  +972 3 5331617

YWIN 5¨ DB-Link to Sybase

Post by Jeremy McGe » Thu, 05 Jan 1995 22:39:50

Quote:

> Db-library network communications layer not added.

> Now what do they mean by that? Any help, somebody?

You need a copy of DBLIB, the network-layer software from Sybase. This
comes in different flavours, depending on the kind of network software
you use.

If you already have this, make sure it's on the path, and configured
correctly. Check the configuration by using a Sybase tool on the PC
client to connect to the host.  If this works, Paradox should work too.

-- J

Borland UK

YWIN 5¨ DB-Link to Sybase

Post by kad.. » Sun, 08 Jan 1995 09:32:18

Quote:Shlomo Wygodny writes:
>  have a Sybase database on a Unix HP, and I try to connect to it using
> Pdoxwin 5.0 and SQL Link 2.0. I defined a SYBASE alias, but when trying to
> connect it using the Alias manager in Paradox, I get the message:

> Db-library network communications layer not added.

Are you using TCP/IP?  What is your communications protocol? For TCP/IP, you
need to make sure that this connection is being made, and the appropriate line
entered in your win.ini file under section [SQLSERVER], e.g.

[SQLSERVER]
servername=WDBNEWTC,host ip address,port,URGENT

Also, the communications .DLL's should be in your windows/system directory.

Good luck,

1. YWIN 5¨ HELP! Locking problem

HELP!!! A very elementary lock problem:
in Pdox 4.5, when one user edited (and locked) a record in a table frame, and
a second user tried to edit it, too, the second user got a message : "record
already locked by ...". He could then move out to another record.

In Pdox 5, on the other hand, the second user is STUCKED - all his key strokes
are buffered, and released only when the first user release the write lock...

This happened with retry period = 0 (the default?). When I set the retry
period to 1, I get (after a while) a message that the record is locked by
the first user, but the main problem stil exists: the second user is STUCKED!!

How can I prevent this?

--

   Tel:       +972 3 5388888, +972 3 5388853     Fax:  +972 3 5331617
   Mercury Interactive (Israel) Ltd  P.O.B. 501, Or Yehuda 60218, Israel

2. error 927. Database cannot be opened. It is in the middle of a restore

3. YWIN 5¨ Printing to file

4. Connecting to an Access 7.0 database (password protected)

5. View to Linked Sybase DB Possible?

6. FileMaker Server 3 Error

7. ODBC OLE-DB to Sybase error 7399 with linked servers

8. Urgent Help Needed in Restoring SQL7 database

9. Links to sybase db devices on HP/UX

10. Problem linking to Sybase as linked server

11. urgent: link mysql db as a linked server

12. Link errors while linking a Sybase Client library program

13. Linking Access db and ODBC link via Adodc