Newbie questions about Win 5.0 forms (sort of long)

Newbie questions about Win 5.0 forms (sort of long)

Post by Michael R. Litt » Sun, 09 Oct 1994 05:14:34

I'm in a crunch to get an application delivered to my customers and am
experiencing a few little annoyances.  I've no doubt the answers are
probably in the manuals, but my time is very limited.  Any help is

and, if there's any interest, I can post a summary later.  Thanks.

Part of my application is to create various bar code labels to track
packages from receiving through distribution.  Since a lot of packages
move via a pallet, I need a unique label to represent all the packages on
a particular pallet.  To do so, I use the current date (along with a
counter), which I get from the PC.  But before I use this date, I present
it to the user with a msgQuestion so they can correct it if wrong.  I
execute the msgQuestion in the open method for the form so that it asks
only once for each pass.  In Version 4.5, the form would open and the
dialog box would appear over it.  In 5.0, the dialog box appears before the
calling form displays.  Since the label form is called from a "menu" form,
the dialog box appears over the menu.  While not a performance problem,
I'm afraid it might confuse my customers, who are largely non-computer,
clerk-type people.  Is there a better method than "open" to put the
msgQuestion?  Or a way I can force the label form to display before the
dialog box?

Second annoyance:  To print the bar code labels, I issue a DOS copy to the
label printer ("copy filename comx:").  In Paradox, I'm using a System
"execute" command to perform this.  (When I tried the FileSystem "copy"
command, it tried to copy my file to a file named "comx:" and errored.
With the colon removed, a file named "comx" was written to disk.)
Unfortunately, when the "execute" command executes, the screen goes black
for an instant before returning to the application.  Likewise, this
doesn't affect performance, but it has freaked out a customer or two.
What I'd like is for the form to remain on the screen while processing
occurs.  Will an option on the execute command help here?

Third and final annoyance:  Is there any way to deactivate or, better,
remove the toolbar and menu bar from a delivered application (I have an exit
button to return to the Program Manager)?  I was constantly slapping hands
during the last training session as the customers were more interested in
the toolbar than the application (I tried not to take that too personally).

Anyway, if you've read this far, thanks for wading through my drivel.
Perhaps in a few years as I gain more experience and familiarity with the
product, I can return the favor by helping out another Newbie.
--
  Mike Little                  Sandia National Laboratories, Albuquerque, NM

  ("All opinions are mine and may not reflect those of Sandia, the Martin
  Marietta Corporation or the United States Department of Energy.")

Post by Carey David Klenets » Sun, 09 Oct 1994 05:30:29

>I'm in a crunch to get an application delivered to my customers and am
>experiencing a few little annoyances.  I've no doubt the answers are
>probably in the manuals, but my time is very limited.  Any help is

>and, if there's any interest, I can post a summary later.  Thanks.
>Part of my application is to create various bar code labels to track
>packages from receiving through distribution.  Since a lot of packages
>move via a pallet, I need a unique label to represent all the packages on
>a particular pallet.  To do so, I use the current date (along with a
>counter), which I get from the PC.  But before I use this date, I present
>it to the user with a msgQuestion so they can correct it if wrong.  I
>execute the msgQuestion in the open method for the form so that it asks
>only once for each pass.  In Version 4.5, the form would open and the
>dialog box would appear over it.  In 5.0, the dialog box appears before the
>calling form displays.  Since the label form is called from a "menu" form,
>the dialog box appears over the menu.  While not a performance problem,
>I'm afraid it might confuse my customers, who are largely non-computer,
>clerk-type people.  Is there a better method than "open" to put the
>msgQuestion?  Or a way I can force the label form to display before the
>dialog box?

You could try putting the code on the SetFocus method of the page.  This
may require you to use a flag if your Form is multi-paged.

Quote:>Second annoyance:  To print the bar code labels, I issue a DOS copy to the
>label printer ("copy filename comx:").  In Paradox, I'm using a System
>"execute" command to perform this.  (When I tried the FileSystem "copy"
>command, it tried to copy my file to a file named "comx:" and errored.
>With the colon removed, a file named "comx" was written to disk.)
>Unfortunately, when the "execute" command executes, the screen goes black
>for an instant before returning to the application.  Likewise, this
>doesn't affect performance, but it has freaked out a customer or two.
>What I'd like is for the form to remain on the screen while processing
>occurs.  Will an option on the execute command help here?

Create a .PIF file that calls a batch file to do the copy.  Set the PIF file
options so that the Program is Windowed as opposed to full screen.
The .PIF file, CPY.PIF for example, could call MAKEBAR.BAT.
MAKEBAR.BAT would be:

copy %1 comx:
echo on

Your execute statement could then be execute("CPY.PIF",whatever,whatever)

Quote:>Third and final annoyance:  Is there any way to deactivate or, better,
>remove the toolbar and menu bar from a delivered application (I have an exit
>button to return to the Program Manager)?  I was constantly slapping hands
>during the last training session as the customers were more interested in
>the toolbar than the application (I tried not to take that too personally).

declare a menu variable and do an menu.addText(" "), then menu.show()
There may be a removeMenu in 5.0 (I don't remember).

In 4.5 you could use HideSpeedBar() and ShowSpeedBar().  These will still
work (maintaining backward compat.), but I think it is now HideToolBar() and
ShowToolBar().

>Anyway, if you've read this far, thanks for wading through my drivel.
>Perhaps in a few years as I gain more experience and familiarity with the
>product, I can return the favor by helping out another Newbie.
>--
>  Mike Little                      Sandia National Laboratories, Albuquerque, NM

>  ("All opinions are mine and may not reflect those of Sandia, the Martin
>  Marietta Corporation or the United States Department of Energy.")

Hope this helps!

-Carey

    _     _   __  __    __   __  __       Limax Computing - Questions?

   | |_  | | | |\/| | |    |  >  <            Phone: (408) 425-7455
   |___| |_| |_|  |_| |_||_| /_/\_\        Carey Klenetsky - Consultant

Post by Kuo-Sheng (Kas » Tue, 11 Oct 1994 06:33:17

[...]

You can put the msgquestion in the PAGE::OPEN instead of FORM::OPEN.  It
will still get executed only once, but it should appear first.

: Second annoyance:  To print the bar code labels, I issue a DOS copy to the
: label printer ("copy filename comx:").  In Paradox, I'm using a System
: "execute" command to perform this.  (When I tried the FileSystem "copy"
: command, it tried to copy my file to a file named "comx:" and errored.
: With the colon removed, a file named "comx" was written to disk.)
: Unfortunately, when the "execute" command executes, the screen goes black
: for an instant before returning to the application.  Likewise, this
: doesn't affect performance, but it has freaked out a customer or two.
: What I'd like is for the form to remain on the screen while processing
: occurs.  Will an option on the execute command help here?

Yes...  Open up your PIF Editor and edit the _DEFAULT.PIF, and change it
to Windows instead of full screen.  That will force that little DOS
session to run in the Windowed mode.  You can also add the option
"ExeHidden" which should hide that window.

The PERMANENT solution is for you to open the com port yourself and write
the characters out.  You can open the USER.EXE's opencomm and related
commands like a DLL.  Details are in any Windows API book and Mike
Prestwood's "What Every PDOXWIN Programmer Should Know".

: Third and final annoyance:  Is there any way to deactivate or, better,
: remove the toolbar and menu bar from a delivered application (I have an exit
: button to return to the Program Manager)?  I was constantly slapping hands
: during the last training session as the customers were more interested in
: the toolbar than the application (I tried not to take that too personally).

hidespeedbar or hidetoolbar should hide it, then to wipe out the menu,
define an empty menu

Var
  m  menu
endvar

m.addtext("")
m.show() ;something like that, see your manual

||   (the rest of this .sig is under construction...)                       ||

1. dumb newbie question - won't take you long

Hello to all you Oracle experts.
I am just starting my foray into the world of Oracle8, I have installed it
on NT (trial version from Oracle site) and read the accompanying docs till
my eyes hurt (there's just *so* much of it!).
I'd like to now create an example database of my own, or experiment with the
starter database that came with it.

Here's the questions:

In the starter database, the docs say the contents consist of User accounts,
Tablespaces, etc. What it doesn't say is whether there is any data in it.
Are there any data tables already created, which I can muck around with with
SQL?

svrmgr30.exe is the Server Manager program, I guess. Issuing a HELP command
in this utility tells me I should read the Server Manager User's Guide.
However, there is only an Oracle7 Server Manager User's Guide in the
documentation, which seems to concern a graphical version of the program.
Where do I get the docs for Oracle8 Server Manager User's Guide?

Any help will be appreciated, I realise I've probably missed some basic
points concerning databases of this scale - I've got a long way to go...

Thanks

2. How to create Fields during runtime

3. Paradox 4.5 Win Form Difficulties in 5.0 Win

4. Wanted to Sell: Paradox 5.0

5. Web: Newbie question regarding importing form data from web into FM Pro 5.0

6. SQL Loader error: SQL*Loader-282

7. Pdox Win 5.0 VS dbase win 5.0 transactions

8. syntax wiggy

9. Newbie question : convert unsigned long to signed long

10. Sorting in a form (Paradox 5.0)

11. GPF in Forms 5.0 on Win 95 platform

12. pdox win 5.0, field position on form?