Paradox 1 for Windows crashes in Win XP Home (thanks)

Paradox 1 for Windows crashes in Win XP Home (thanks)

Post by Martin B. Brillia » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 06:56:43

Don't laugh ... I'm using Paradox for Windows version 1.0. I got a new
computer a few months ago, with Windows XP Home on it, installed the
Paradox 1.0 I had been using, copied over all the Paradox data files
I'm using as treasurer of a non-profit chapter....

After a couple of months, Paradox started crashing, about a minute,
(more or less) after starting it. Defragging helped, for a while.
Moving the data to a partition that ended below the 1024 cylinder
boundary helped, for a while. I could always access the files through
my network from a Windows 95 machine, but that meant running up and
down two flights of stairs....

I read in this group about oplocks, so I looked up how to disable
them. The procedure on the Microsoft website isn't even supposed to be
applicable to Windows XP Home (only to server OS's), but I put in the
registry value they talked about, and now I can access my Paradox
files from Windows XP. I hope this isn't another "for a while" fix....

Did I do right?

                                                Marty
Martin B. Brilliant at home in Holmdel, NJ

Post by Steven Gree » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 07:04:35

> Did I do right?

probably not.. yes, you need to deal with all the things you dealt with,
but you haven't given us enough info to try to determine why you're
crashing.. most likely, what you did had nothing directly to do with your
problem..

so.. first off, you need to tell us the exact context of the problems, and
the error messages, if any..

how long has it been since you used the repair tool on your tables.. if
pdox itself is 10 years old, so are the tables..

also, I can't think of a single "pdoxwin 1.0" message here in a long, long
time.. for 20 bucks or less, you can get something semi-recent on ebay..

--

Steve Green - Diamond Software Group, Inc - Waldorf Maryland USA
Corel CTech Paradox - http://www.diamondsg.com - Support/Downloads/Links

Do you need a Sanity Check? http://www.diamondsg.com/sanity.htm
Upgrade/Downgrade versions? http://www.diamondsg.com/upgrade.htm

Paradox 1 for Windows crashes in Win XP Home (thanks)

Post by Martin B. Brillia » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 07:35:09

Any context. Seems to stay up longer if there are no windows on the
Paradox desktop. No error messages. There is no response to the next
mouse click, and then a few seconds later the menu bar turns dead
white, and after a few more seconds the title bar says "(not
responding)" after the program name.

I haven't used the repair tool recently. Up until about 6 months ago,
I was using Windows NT 4.0 on a smaller drive, and had no problems at
all, so using the repair tool never entered my mind. I'll try running
the repair tool on the tables I use; there are about a dozen tables in
the same directory that I haven't used in a long time, so I don't
think I need to bother with them.

A few minutes ago I got Paradox to fail the same way by rapidly
hitting the fast forward or backward button to scan a form window. Is
that a clue?

You suggested an upgrade. If you don't know exactly what the problem
is, can you guess which version I need to upgrade to? Version 8, the
first one for Windows 95, is about $30 and up on eBay, plus shipping.

On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 18:04:35 -0400, Steven Green

Post by Steven Gree » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 07:37:11

> I was using Windows NT 4.0 on a smaller drive, and had no problems at all

OK.. right-click on Properties, go to the Compatibility tab, and pick NT4.. remember,
you're using v1.. very old, very limited, very flaky..

Quote:> You suggested an upgrade. If you don't know exactly what the problem is, can you
> guess which version I need to upgrade to? Version 8, the first one for Windows 95, is
> about $30 and up on eBay, plus shipping.

technically, it doesn't matter which version you pick.. they're *all* more solid than
the one you have.. and 8 or later are 32-bit, made to be used on the newer versions of
Windows..

don't buy from either of those two guys that list every version all the time.. too much
$.. buy from an individual that's selling.. if not today, then next week.. it'll be
much cheaper..

--

Steve Green - Diamond Software Group, Inc - Waldorf Maryland USA
Corel CTech Paradox - http://www.diamondsg.com - Support/Downloads/Links
Do you need a Sanity Check? http://www.diamondsg.com/sanity.htm
Upgrade/Downgrade versions? http://www.diamondsg.com/upgrade.htm

Paradox 1 for Windows crashes in Win XP Home (thanks)

Post by Martin B. Brillia » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 07:57:48

OK, I ran the table repair utility.... the main table I was using had
a blob list incompatibility, possibly due to the recent crashes.
Anyway, I rebuilt it. I also set the compatibility to Windows NT 4.0
(SP 5). So far, Paradox 1.0 seems to be running solid now. I'll come
back if the problem recurs.

Come to think of it, I don't know why I bought version 1.0 (not new, I
got it from a former user, long before eBay). I think I knew even then
about the risks of buying version 1, or any version x.0. But I didn't
have any problems for many, many years. Life's like that ... hits you
when you least expect it.

Many thanks for your help.

On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 18:37:11 -0400, Steven Green

> > I was using Windows NT 4.0 on a smaller drive, and had no problems at all

> OK.. right-click on Properties, go to the Compatibility tab, and pick NT4.. remember,
> you're using v1.. very old, very limited, very flaky..

> > You suggested an upgrade. If you don't know exactly what the problem is, can you
> > guess which version I need to upgrade to? Version 8, the first one for Windows 95, is
> > about $30 and up on eBay, plus shipping.

> technically, it doesn't matter which version you pick.. they're *all* more solid than
> the one you have.. and 8 or later are 32-bit, made to be used on the newer versions of
> Windows..

> don't buy from either of those two guys that list every version all the time.. too much
> $.. buy from an individual that's selling.. if not today, then next week.. it'll be
> much cheaper..

> --

> Steve Green - Diamond Software Group, Inc - Waldorf Maryland USA
> Corel CTech Paradox - http://www.diamondsg.com - Support/Downloads/Links
> Do you need a Sanity Check? http://www.diamondsg.com/sanity.htm
> Upgrade/Downgrade versions? http://www.diamondsg.com/upgrade.htm

                                                Marty
Martin B. Brilliant at home in Holmdel, NJ

Paradox 1 for Windows crashes in Win XP Home (thanks)

Post by Martin B. Brillia » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 22:29:08

So, at 8:19 this morning I started Paradox for Windows v.1, left it up
with no windows on its desktop, and went web surfing with MSIE.

Exactly 1 hour and 1 minute later, at 9:20, a gray window pops up with
title bar "Application: PDOXWIN" and text "The Win 16 Subsystem has
insufficient resources to continue running. Click on OK, close your
applications, and restart your machine." The Paradox window is white
as a sheet, except for the title bar and a few odd scraps.

What do I do now? Upgrade? Would Paradox 5, academic edition, stay up
longer in Windows XP? and would it be compatible with my version 1
tables, forms, and reports?

Post by Steven Gree » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 22:45:05

> What do I do now? Upgrade? Would Paradox 5, academic edition, stay up
> longer in Windows XP? and would it be compatible with my version 1 tables, forms, and
> reports?

all later versions are compatible.. all versions seem to work in XP.. except yours, it seems..
like I said, I can't recall the last "version 1" question here..

if anything is delivered, you must re-deliver.. if you upgrade, go to one of the 32-bit
versions.. (7/32, not 7/16, or 8, 9, 10, 11).. longer potential shelf-life..

--

Post by Dennis Santor » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 23:57:50

> if anything is delivered, you must re-deliver.. if you upgrade, go to one of the 32-bit
> versions.. (7/32, not 7/16, or 8, 9, 10, 11).. longer potential shelf-life..

Not only longer shelf life, they won't cause your 16 bit subsystem to run so you won't run out of
16 bit resources for Paradox because you'll be in the 32 bit system.

Denn Santoro
President
Resource Development Associates
http://www.RDAWorldWide.Com
Offices in the United States and Germany
Providing solutions to health care, business, governments and non-profits since 1982