***PDOXWIN 5.0 MANUALS vs PDOXWIN 4.5 MANUALS***

***PDOXWIN 5.0 MANUALS vs PDOXWIN 4.5 MANUALS***

Post by Nasir No » Sat, 29 Oct 1994 12:21:10

I recieved my full set of Paradox for Windows 5.0 manuals. Borland
has done quite a bit of reformatting and rewording. Has anyone done
any comparison on the quality of information contained in 5.0 vs
4.5 manuals? More precisely, are PDOXWIN 4.5 manual worth keeping?
If so, why? Thanks very much for any info!!!

--nasir

Post by Peter Hy » Tue, 01 Nov 1994 20:23:31

 > I recieved my full set of Paradox for Windows 5.0 manuals. Borland
 > has done quite a bit of reformatting and rewording. Has anyone done
 > any comparison on the quality of information contained in 5.0 vs
 > 4.5 manuals?

Sort of. I read through the 5.0 manuals cover to cover and felt there were
many new inclusions (or things I had never *noticed* in the 4.5 manuals).
Some explanations of key issues were much advanced.

But best of all was the 5.0 online help. Having read through the manuals
now, I almost *never* use 'em.

Quote:> More precisely, are PDOXWIN 4.5 manual worth keeping?

Nope, IMHO.

cheers,
peter

             Peter Hyde, South Pacific Information Services Ltd
           Christchurch, New Zealand -- In the Better Hemisphere
   <<< Please reply in this group (if relevant) rather than email me >>>

Post by Svein Olav Mytti » Tue, 01 Nov 1994 07:45:34

> I recieved my full set of Paradox for Windows 5.0 manuals. Borland
> has done quite a bit of reformatting and rewording. Has anyone done
> any comparison on the quality of information contained in 5.0 vs
> 4.5 manuals? More precisely, are PDOXWIN 4.5 manual worth keeping?
> If so, why? Thanks very much for any info!!!

My experience is that the 5.0 manual is for the most a copy of 4.5...
I throw my 4.5 manual away and have never missed it.

Svein Olav Mytting, Europe..................................Si libet, licet

1. Bug in PdoxWin 5.0 and not in Pdoxwin 4.5

I think that there's a bug in pdox5.0 for win that isn't in pdox4.5
for win.

Occasionally, I have to import fixed length text files that
have between 2,000 and 12,000 records into pdox.
I always thought that to do this all you had to do was type in the
field names, type, where the field starts, and how long the field is.

When I go and do this in pdox 5.0, about half of the text file is
imported, some of the fields are left blank when they should be, and I
get an error that says something to the effect of "Corrupt file header."

What's weird is that I'll go to pdox 4.5 for windows and repeat the same
process, and the entire file is imported in its complete form.

SIDENOTE:  When a newer version of a program is on the market, shouldn't
           it have fewer bugs in it than the older version.

Any suggestions why this is happening to me would be helpful.

thanx.

2. SQL Plus - Listing Tables in a Database

3. PdoxWin 5.0 manuals

4. How to solve E_US08B4 No MST is currently in progress.

5. Upgrad pdoxwin 4.5 to pdoxwin 7.0

6. foxpro command

7. Upgrading from Pdoxwin 4.5 to Pdoxwin 9 HELP !

8. Is there a fork in the path of your career???

9. Attaching code to a report(PdoxWin 4.5,5.0,7.0)

10. PDOXWIN 5.0 Script file format - compatible with 4.5?

11. Printer control from PDOXWIN 4.5 or 5.0 under Windows 95

12. NT 3.1 and PDOXWIN 4.5 & 5.0

13. PDOXWIN 4.5/5.0 gdi leaks