Bug in PdoxWin 5.0 and not in Pdoxwin 4.5

Bug in PdoxWin 5.0 and not in Pdoxwin 4.5

Post by Jose Mor » Sat, 23 Sep 1995 04:00:00

I think that there's a bug in pdox5.0 for win that isn't in pdox4.5
for win.

Occasionally, I have to import fixed length text files that
have between 2,000 and 12,000 records into pdox.
I always thought that to do this all you had to do was type in the
field names, type, where the field starts, and how long the field is.

When I go and do this in pdox 5.0, about half of the text file is
imported, some of the fields are left blank when they should be, and I
get an error that says something to the effect of "Corrupt file header."

What's weird is that I'll go to pdox 4.5 for windows and repeat the same
process, and the entire file is imported in its complete form.

SIDENOTE:  When a newer version of a program is on the market, shouldn't
           it have fewer bugs in it than the older version.

Any suggestions why this is happening to me would be helpful.

thanx.

Bug in PdoxWin 5.0 and not in Pdoxwin 4.5

Post by Peggy Bak » Sun, 24 Sep 1995 04:00:00

At least part of the problem is that Borland used an entirely new database
engine for 5.0.  It had its own set of problems, fixed things that had been
broken and broke things that had been fixed.  File importing and exporting
have been big problems.  You might try to get the updated Borland Database
Engine files that are available for Delphi; they seem to have fixed at
least one of the file import problems I have had.

On Sep 22, 1995 22:47:56 in article <Bug in PdoxWin 5.0 and not in Pdoxwin

--

peggy baker

Post by Simon Slav » Mon, 25 Sep 1995 04:00:00

> SIDENOTE:  When a newer version of a program is on the market, shouldn't
>            it have fewer bugs in it than the older version.

'different', not 'fewer'.
This isn't a dig at Borland, I've done the same thing myself.

Simon.
--
Simon Slavin - Computing Manager for The Enterprise Group Ltd. (Says my boss.)
    Think of all the / Stamps you'll save / Buy by email ! / Burma-Shave

1. ***PDOXWIN 5.0 MANUALS vs PDOXWIN 4.5 MANUALS***

I recieved my full set of Paradox for Windows 5.0 manuals. Borland
has done quite a bit of reformatting and rewording. Has anyone done
any comparison on the quality of information contained in 5.0 vs
4.5 manuals? More precisely, are PDOXWIN 4.5 manual worth keeping?
If so, why? Thanks very much for any info!!!

--nasir

2. SQL Anywhere 5.0.02

3. Upgrad pdoxwin 4.5 to pdoxwin 7.0

4. AMD K5 versus K6

5. Upgrading from Pdoxwin 4.5 to Pdoxwin 9 HELP !

6. US-CT: Putnam-Sun Oracle DBA

7. Attaching code to a report(PdoxWin 4.5,5.0,7.0)

8. FPD2.6: Modify Structure of Distributed Database?

9. PDOXWIN 5.0 Script file format - compatible with 4.5?

10. Printer control from PDOXWIN 4.5 or 5.0 under Windows 95

11. NT 3.1 and PDOXWIN 4.5 & 5.0

12. PDOXWIN 4.5/5.0 gdi leaks

13. PDOXWIN 4.5 (or 5.0) WFWG