Difference between Win 4.5 & Win 5.0

Post by Dudley Pearc » Sun, 25 Aug 1996 04:00:00

What is the difference between Windows 4.5 & Windows 5.0?
Thanks for your help.

Difference between Win 4.5 & Win 5.0

Post by David Ell » Sun, 25 Aug 1996 04:00:00

says...

Quote:

>What is the difference between Windows 4.5 & Windows 5.0?
>Thanks for your help.

ObjectPAL, de* and help files are superior in 5.0

Post by Terry Straehl » Mon, 26 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>What is the difference between Windows 4.5 & Windows 5.0?
>Thanks for your help.

There is a considerable difference between the two.  The database
engine was changed from ODAPI to IDAPI.  The developer tools are
better in 5.0.  But why do you want to know?     If we know why maybe
we can help you.  If you are planning to buy, the present version is
7.0 (16 bit or 32 bit).  If you have forms, etc that were delivered
under a specific version they must be run under the version that
delivered them.  If you have undelivered code, it is extremely forward
(or is it backward) compatible.  In any event, there is usually little
problem in migrating an application to a later version as long as you
have the source forms.  (Unlike other database applications)

 Straehley Associates - Computer Consulting and Programming

 http://www.strassoc.com

Post by Dave Monro » Tue, 27 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> >What is the difference between Windows 4.5 & Windows 5.0?
> >Thanks for your help.
> There is a considerable difference between the two.  The database
> engine was changed from ODAPI to IDAPI.  The developer tools are
> better in 5.0.  But why do you want to know?     If we know why maybe
> we can help you.  If you are planning to buy, the present version is
> 7.0 (16 bit or 32 bit).  If you have forms, etc that were delivered
> under a specific version they must be run under the version that
> delivered them.  If you have undelivered code, it is extremely forward
> (or is it backward) compatible.  In any event, there is usually little
> problem in migrating an application to a later version as long as you
> have the source forms.  (Unlike other database applications)

>  Straehley Associates - Computer Consulting and Programming

>  http://www.strassoc.comI am confused. There is a Paradox 7.0 16bit version that will run on

Windows3.1 and Windows95? If so what is the differences between

Difference between Win 4.5 & Win 5.0

Post by Dan Dyke » Tue, 27 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>What is the difference between Windows 4.5 & Windows 5.0?
>Thanks for your help.

One which was critical to an application I was writing was the time data type.
Although the books talked about it, it was not supported until 5.

1. Paradox 4.5 Win Form Difficulties in 5.0 Win

I have many forms, some that were created in Paradox for Windows 4.5 and
some that were created in Paradox for Windows 5.0. In the forms that were
created in Paradox 4.5, the text in the fields ride up to the top of the
fields and are hard to read. In forms that were created in PdoxWin 5.0,
the letters are down lower and are "normal." This is irritating as we
have to use a different font in the edit boxes than we would like to and
it isn't as nice looking. Is there any way to solve this?
Also, in 4.5 forms, the font list omits several fonts, and in 5.0 forms,
the font list is complete. What's causing this?
I am opening and viewing all these forms in PdoxWin 5.0. Is there any way
to solve this other than recreate all my old forms from scratch in
PdoxWin 5.0?

Thanks and rock Rhrp,
ZinkKS

2. JDBC (Postgres) and RMI problem

3. Printing with Paradox 4.5 WIN on Win NT 3.51

4. Ingres in Mutex State

5. Pdox for Win 4.5 Runtime messes Pdox for Win 1.0

6. Problems with ALIASes and SQL

7. Pdox Win 5.0 VS dbase win 5.0 transactions

8. Paradox DDL Scripts, multiple SQL Statements

9. Pdox 4.5 DOS, 5.0 Win and NT4 Problems

10. 4.5 report runs but won't deliver in 5.0

11. Paradox [4.5,5.0][WIN] - Memory bug sol'n

12. Converting Tables from WIN Version 4.5 to 5.0

13. Win 4.5 and 5.0 in the same machine