PDOXDOS 4.5 and Win2000

Post by Marlene Penr » Sun, 27 May 2001 05:00:23

Hi all!  Glad to see you folks are still here.  I haven't been here in over
a year, been working my way out of DOS, with one client left kicking and
screaming and now is in trouble again as technology, ahem MS, screws them
over one more time.

Before I state the problem, let me say the answer is not "go back to Win
9x".  Their internal tech support department will not allow it and I have
absolutely no power over them.  So I'm looking for input from people who
have managed to make their PDOXDOS apps run on Win2000.  If there are none
of you out there, then I just won't re-up my contract at the end of June!
End of attitude -- here's my questions!  ;-)

Situation:
- Networked PDOXDOS 4.5 app running for 7 years starting with Win 3.1, moved
up to Win 95, first was on Novell servers, moved onto NT servers over a year
ago.  Have been stabilized on Win95/NT combo for over a year.
- Unfortunately, every new PC now coming into the company has Win2000 on the
workstation, and others may be forced to upgrade, and the PDOXDOS app is
having sporadic to catastrophic problems.

Minor Problem 1:
When the app is run in a window, it seems to function OK except the mouse
will not work.  I know it's a DOS issue, not Paradox because I have the same
problem running DOS EDIT, but does anyone have a solution to this one?
Also, when it runs in a window, they complain Paradox shrinks the size of
the window too small.  Suggestions?

Major Problem 2:
When the app runs in full screen mode, there are regular GP0000 crashes, at
all different places in the app.  It's not a corrupt database problem
because I can make it happen just by clicking the icon, getting to the main
menu screen, and exiting -- no database ever opens -- about 4 times out of
10 it will GP0000 just bringing Paradox up.  The other times you might run
for 5-10 minutes on varying tasks and suddenly crash to Windows.  It appears
to me that Win2000 is simply kicking Paradox off the system randomly.
Anybody run into this or have any ideas?  They say they have a PDOXDOS 4.0
app (running in 3.5-compatible mode that I did not write or support) that
reportedly is not having problems.  I'm getting further details on that, but
any thoughts?

Potential Problem 3:
One of the project managers in the department insists Windows XP will take
care of this with its Win95 emulation.  Besides the issue of what do we do
in the meantime, I don't have that much faith in Microsoft.  Does anyone
have any beta experience with XP and PDOXDOS?

Thanks for listening!  I'll break this into 3 threads if you think that
would be better.

Marlene Penry

PDOXDOS 4.5 and Win2000

Post by Michael Kenned » Sun, 27 May 2001 05:31:47

Marlene,

Welcome back !!.

Same ol' gang* out here; same problems; same solutions; do drop by
more often !.

Quote:> Minor Problem 1:
> When the app is run in a window, it seems to function OK except the mouse
> will not work.  I know it's a DOS issue, not Paradox because I have the
same
> problem running DOS EDIT, but does anyone have a solution to this one?
> Also, when it runs in a window, they complain Paradox shrinks the size of
> the window too small.  Suggestions?

We all know about this, and we don't have a solution yet. Some of us
investigated it in some detail. The problem is a bug in some MS code - where
something occurs (related to Mouse interrupts), which later causes segment
registers to be destroyed when Paradox makes standard DOS (Int-21) calls,
which clobbers Paradox. Are you using "-bios" in the command line ?.
Seemingly, if not, the bomb might not occur, but "-bios" solves other
possible problems.

Some people have discussed this problem with MS, and I have the impression
that they (M$) are looking into it !. If you have contact with MS, maybe
haunt them. Also, SP2 is just out for W2K: have you tried with SP2 ?. And,
while browsing around the MS site, I encountered an FTP area under something
like ftp://microsoft.hotfix.com/WinNT/Windows_2000 called SP3 and another
called "Latest", so maybe they've done a patch in there already. (Check back
on the postings here over recent days for more comments on this site). Get
your W2K experts to investigate !.

I guess if MS don't fix it, then we might be able to come up with something.
However, every time I looked into the problem, I then "thought" that MS
would fix it, and I lost interest again !. What to do ??.

Quote:> Major Problem 2:
> When the app runs in full screen mode, there are regular GP0000 crashes,
at
> all different places in the app.  It's not a corrupt database problem
> because I can make it happen just by clicking the icon, getting to the
main
> menu screen, and exiting -- no database ever opens -- about 4 times out of
> 10 it will GP0000 just bringing Paradox up.  The other times you might run
> for 5-10 minutes on varying tasks and suddenly crash to Windows.  It
appears
> to me that Win2000 is simply kicking Paradox off the system randomly.
> Anybody run into this or have any ideas?  They say they have a PDOXDOS 4.0
> app (running in 3.5-compatible mode that I did not write or support) that
> reportedly is not having problems.  I'm getting further details on that,
but
> any thoughts?

It might well be caused by the same bug as in issue #1. The "bug" just
causes internal damage, and that can probabaly be manifest in very many
different ways. I assume you were using "-bios" in the command line.

Quote:> Potential Problem 3:
> One of the project managers in the department insists Windows XP will take
> care of this with its Win95 emulation.  Besides the issue of what do we do
> in the meantime, I don't have that much faith in Microsoft.  Does anyone
> have any beta experience with XP and PDOXDOS?

Don't know naaathing about XP. Apart from the new "marketing approach"
!!!!!. Ouch !!.

  - Mike

PDOXDOS 4.5 and Win2000

Post by Michael Kenned » Sun, 27 May 2001 05:33:15

Ops, forgot to say that most of the traffic is now on COREL-run newgsroups,
so you might visit corel.com, and locate the newsgroups from there...

  - Mike

PDOXDOS 4.5 and Win2000

Post by Steven Gree » Sun, 27 May 2001 06:31:27

> Before I state the problem, let me say the answer is not "go back to Win
> 9x".

then the answer is "you're S.O.L." <sigh>.. there is no frix for either
problem.. your client really should have investigated this theory *before* they
jumped into 2000.. in that regard, it's not your fault or your responsibility..
PdoxDOS doesn't belong on NT, ME, or 2000.. or anything thaqt MS has yet to show
us.. they're going out of their way to make sure DOS doesn't work on these
platforms, for many obvious reasons..

--

Steve Green
Corel CTech - Paradox

http://www.diamondsg.com

PDOXDOS 4.5 and Win2000

Post by Marlene Penr » Sun, 27 May 2001 09:16:09

Thanks Mike, I'll check that out, plus your other suggestions.  But right
now, I'm taking a 3 day holiday, how's THAT for unprofessional?  <g>

Marlene

Quote:> Ops, forgot to say that most of the traffic is now on COREL-run
newgsroups,
> so you might visit corel.com, and locate the newsgroups from there...

>   - Mike

PDOXDOS 4.5 and Win2000

Post by Marlene Penr » Sun, 27 May 2001 09:22:11

Hi Steve,

".. your client really should have investigated this theory *before* they
jumped into 2000.."

No kidding, I am so tired of this, I gave them the standard speech about
testing production databases and applications, but their internal politics
are such a mess.  The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is
doing...but has to live with it.  The latest is the Tech dept telling them
they've had enough warning to rewrite their applications and get off DOS,
but the Finance dept won't give them the bucks for redeveolpment.  So they
look to me for a miracle, and they aren't paying me miracle-worker rates.
Contract ends in June though, and after 7 years, I may not re-enlist!

Marlene