Not enough memory/Virtual memory error from large query

Not enough memory/Virtual memory error from large query

Post by Liquor Distribution Branc » Thu, 12 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I'm getting a "not enought memory" error while executing a large query
going from Paradox 7/8 to Oracle.  The result set is over 200MB in size,
but the hard drive has more than enough space (1 Gig free), I have 32 MB of
memory on board, and the Windows NT virtual memory file is set to maximum
of 150 MB.

Can anyone tell me what's wrong?  Is this something I need to set in the
Windows NT control panel, or in Paradox?

Post by Richard Cart » Fri, 13 Feb 1998 04:00:00

: I'm getting a "not enought memory" error while executing a large query
: going from Paradox 7/8 to Oracle.  The result set is over 200MB in size,
: but the hard drive has more than enough space (1 Gig free), I have 32 MB of
: memory on board, and the Windows NT virtual memory file is set to maximum
: of 150 MB.

Paradox will create intermediate temporary tables while executing
your query, and they can be huge.  Try executing a series of
queries, where the first one limits the size of the data to
be processed in the subsequent queries.

Not enough memory/Virtual memory error from large query

Post by Liquor Distribution Branc » Fri, 13 Feb 1998 04:00:00

The problem is, we need to be able to execute queries of this size.  It
hardly seems excessive to want to be able to do a query which produces
150-200MB worth of data, is it?
Is there no way to tweak NT or Paradox 7 so that it can execute a proper
query without work-arounds?

> Paradox will create intermediate temporary tables while executing
> your query, and they can be huge.  Try executing a series of
> queries, where the first one limits the size of the data to
> be processed in the subsequent queries.
> --

Not enough memory/Virtual memory error from large query

Post by <alov.. » Sun, 15 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Which version of the BDE do you have?  It may help if you get the latest
version, which is 4.51 from Borland's web site (www.borland.com)

Alan

Post by Bob Hutchis » Fri, 20 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> The problem is, we need to be able to execute queries of this size.  It
> hardly seems excessive to want to be able to do a query which produces
> 150-200MB worth of data, is it?
> Is there no way to tweak NT or Paradox 7 so that it can execute a proper
> query without work-arounds?

> > Paradox will create intermediate temporary tables while executing
> > your query, and they can be huge.  Try executing a series of
> > queries, where the first one limits the size of the data to
> > be processed in the subsequent queries.
> > --

The temporary tables are stored in the private directory. Make sure you have sufficient
space on that drive as well your data drive (if they are different)
--

RHM Consulting