PDOX 5.0 ASCII export null field no Quotes, Why?

PDOX 5.0 ASCII export null field no Quotes, Why?

Post by Dan Connagha » Sat, 13 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Is there a fix to the Paradox For Windows 5.0 Export ASCII.

I am trying to export 3 fields, Name, PhoneArea, and Phone. The data
input for same area code is left blank, (I know and have told them to
enter a default area code but they don't listen go figure). This data
must be exported in ASCII dilimited for import into Phone Plaster
Software.

Example of exported text with ver 5.0
"XYZ","905","555-1212"  ;export is fine here
"ABC Ltd.",,"555-1212"  ; export does not include the "" when field is
blank

Example of exported text with ver 3.5 (DOS)
"XYZ","905","555-1212"  ;export is fine here
"ABC Ltd.","","555-1212"  ; Export is fine

Why does version 3.5 work as expected and 5.0 botchis up?
Is there a setting i am overlooking? I have set and un-set the blank=0
setting whis has no effect.

Any help or a point in the right direction would be great.
Dan Connaghan

Post by Scott Wiersdor » Sat, 13 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> Is there a fix to the Paradox For Windows 5.0 Export ASCII.

> I am trying to export 3 fields, Name, PhoneArea, and Phone. The data
> input for same area code is left blank, (I know and have told them to
> enter a default area code but they don't listen go figure). This data
> must be exported in ASCII dilimited for import into Phone Plaster
> Software.

> Example of exported text with ver 5.0
> "XYZ","905","555-1212"  ;export is fine here
> "ABC Ltd.",,"555-1212"  ; export does not include the "" when field is
> blank

> Example of exported text with ver 3.5 (DOS)
> "XYZ","905","555-1212"  ;export is fine here
> "ABC Ltd.","","555-1212"  ; Export is fine

> Why does version 3.5 work as expected and 5.0 botchis up?
> Is there a setting i am overlooking? I have set and un-set the blank=0
> setting whis has no effect.

> Any help or a point in the right direction would be great.
> Dan ConnaghanOne thing I have done is not to delimit my text fields with anything, but

to use a separator (like a tilde ~ or something).  If the program you are
using has search and replace, you can then replace all the tildes with
whatever you want.
e.g.
exportAsciiVar("table.db", file.txt, "~", "", false, false)
Hope this may help.
Scott Wiersdorf
--
****************************
 |^^^^| Scott Wiersdorf

 |  ~ | "My other computer
  \ /  is an HP workstation."

Post by Robert Griffin » Wed, 17 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> Is there a fix to the Paradox For Windows 5.0 Export ASCII.

> I am trying to export 3 fields, Name, PhoneArea, and Phone. The data
> input for same area code is left blank, (I know and have told them to
> enter a default area code but they don't listen go figure). This data
> must be exported in ASCII dilimited for import into Phone Plaster
> Software.

> Example of exported text with ver 5.0
> "XYZ","905","555-1212"  ;export is fine here
> "ABC Ltd.",,"555-1212"  ; export does not include the "" when field is
> blank

> Example of exported text with ver 3.5 (DOS)
> "XYZ","905","555-1212"  ;export is fine here
> "ABC Ltd.","","555-1212"  ; Export is fine

> Why does version 3.5 work as expected and 5.0 botchis up?
> Is there a setting i am overlooking? I have set and un-set the blank=0
> setting whis has no effect.

> Any help or a point in the right direction would be great.
> Dan ConnaghanHI

Have you tried setting a default and
"picture" validation for the fields
in structuring the table.
In your case I feel that if the area
code were entered after the long phone
number and was a required field it
would be a bit more bullet proof.
Bye
Robert
--
Marlan Software                 Robert Griffing

Houston, Texas  77043           Phone (713)467-1548

1. Exporting Pdox memo fields to ascii - Pdox for Win 4.5

I am exporting a pdox db that includes several memo fields to ASCII delimated
text. However, the  memo fields get truncated. I believe that the any info
included in the db file is exported, but not any included in an external memo
file. Is there any way to get pdox to export the entire field, external file
and all?

Thanx in advance.

Pete Farkas

BTW, please respond via email if at all possible.

2. Fox is now Microsoft

3. PDOX 5 - Exporting ASCII from Reports

4. Connections Sample Application - PDOXWIN 5

5. DTS: Exporting nulls to an ASCII file and reimporting

6. online 5.x esql/runtime 7.x

7. Export - Pdox 5.0 Win 3.x

8. Upsize problem from Access 2K to SQL 7

9. Export Pdox 5.0 Win 3.x

10. How do you export to ASCII group grouped on a logical field

11. $ field export to ascii

12. Export numberic fields to ASCII Fixed