Installing IDAPI/PdoxWin to client workstations

Installing IDAPI/PdoxWin to client workstations

Post by Frank Burlei » Wed, 10 May 1995 04:00:00

Can anyone suggest a means by which to install ParadoxWin 5.0 to
client machines in a Netware LAN *other* than going around to each
machine with the disks (or using the network CD ROM), as Borland seems
to want (according to the manuals and my experience)?

Thanks.
--
Frank Burleigh 812-333-7082 (home); 812-855-9170 (work)
School of Law, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN  47405

Installing IDAPI/PdoxWin to client workstations

Post by Todd Fa » Thu, 11 May 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>Can anyone suggest a means by which to install ParadoxWin 5.0 to
>client machines in a Netware LAN *other* than going around to each
>machine with the disks (or using the network CD ROM), as Borland
seems
>to want (according to the manuals and my experience)?

Don't _install_ anything on their machines.  Just put everything on the
network, application and Paradox.  Works great, and all you have to do is
set up the icon.  You could all but eliminate this step by creating a short
Windows executable that users can run that will create the icon on their
system.

I know some people will gripe about this, saying that it will slow everything
down to a crawl.  But that is what file servers are for.  Fact is, it doesn't
slow anything down significantly, not even on our network with a 1000
simultaneous (network, not Paradox) users.  The speed penalty is only
about 10%, and usually only during the initial loading of the basic IDAPI
modules.

Todd

"His mind is somewhat too much taken up with his mind." - John Earle
Despite the fact that the above ideas are obviously products of a
fevered mind, they are not necessarily the views of my employer.

Post by Neil Duffe » Thu, 11 May 1995 04:00:00

> Can anyone suggest a means by which to install ParadoxWin 5.0 to
> client machines in a Netware LAN *other* than going around to each
> machine with the disks (or using the network CD ROM), as Borland seems
> to want (according to the manuals and my experience)?

In my copy of the ParadoxWin 5.0 User's Guide, Appendix A (approx. 10
pages) is dedicated solely to installation on a network.  From a
brief scan of the appendix, only the local-only configuration
requires the disks at each station.  For mixed & server-only
configurations, it mentions installing from the admin's station
then visiting each workstation & finishing the job from the network.

1. Workstation Install Fails Under PDOXWIN 5.0

I think you may have to do this temporarily just while you
*install* the program.  Once it's installed, you should be able
to make it read-only again.

Simon.
--
Simon Slavin - Computing Manager for The Enterprise Group Ltd. (Says my boss.)
    Think of all the / Stamps you'll save / Buy by email ! / Burma-Shave

2. UV ODBC on Windows NT

3. unable to install 6.5 client on windows 2000 workstation

4. Matrices in Paradox for Windows v4.5

5. Install 7.0 client on NT Workstation?

6. ODS API for Delphi4

7. How to install BCP.exe on a client workstation

8. How to show version info?

9. NT4 Workstation Client Install Question

10. Install SQL2000 Client on Window2000 WorkStation - problems w/ starting

11. Installing SQLServer client on a NT 4.0 Workstation

12. Problem installing SQLServer 6.5 Client on NT Workstation 4.0