Success importing to a MEMO FIELD?

Post by Jeffrey Saika » Fri, 18 Feb 1994 23:18:19

I'm wondering if anyone has had success importing data to a memo field using
PARADOX FOR WINDOWS 4.5. Here's my situation:

We have a text file of records, each with eight fields. The last field often
exceeds the 240-character-limit, necessitating a memo field. Fine. But I can't
find anything (in writing) by Borland that definitively shows how to import
to a memo field. We even bought the book What Every Paradox 4.5 for Windows
Programmer Should Know (by Mike Prestwood, Senior Engineer for Borland) but
his two examples of memo field importation don't work. (We keep getting a
TCursor error).

Can anyone help?

JEFFREY

Post by 6446mccor.. » Tue, 22 Feb 1994 23:42:07

>I'm wondering if anyone has had success importing data to a memo field using
>PARADOX FOR WINDOWS 4.5. Here's my situation:

>We have a text file of records, each with eight fields. The last field often
>exceeds the 240-character-limit, necessitating a memo field. Fine. But I can't
>find anything (in writing) by Borland that definitively shows how to import
>to a memo field. We even bought the book What Every Paradox 4.5 for Windows
>Programmer Should Know (by Mike Prestwood, Senior Engineer for Borland) but
>his two examples of memo field importation don't work. (We keep getting a
>TCursor error).

>Can anyone help?

>JEFFREY

I have seen a form that purports to do something like this, at least import
data to a table that has a memo field, but perhaps no other fields.  You might
be able to learn something that would help from this.  You can ftp this from
ftp.cica.indiana.edu. The path is something like /pub/pc/borland/pdx/win and
the name of the file is memo.zip.

BL McCormick

Post by Peter Hy » Fri, 25 Feb 1994 07:25:44

 > I'm wondering if anyone has had success importing data to a memo field using
 > PARADOX FOR WINDOWS 4.5.

Sure thing.

 > exceeds the 240-character-limit, necessitating a memo field. Fine. But I can't
 > find anything (in writing) by Borland that definitively shows how to import
 > to a memo field.

I found a quick poke around the Memo data type section of the reference manual did the trick, but
it could have been better explained...

 > Can anyone help?

See example below (it's butchered a bit from what we actually use, but
only because we also do graphic import and/or a bit of character filtering in
the same routine).

method importDetail(var dtc Tcursor,filename String) Logical
var      succeeded Logical
         maxID Number
         memoData Memo
endvar

        succeeded = memoData.readfromfile(filename) ;here's the gist
        if succeeded then
                dtc.edit()
                if not dtc.insertrecord() then ; problem
                        msginfo("Details Import","Unable to append record for "+filename)
                else
                        maxID = getMaxID(dtc.tablename()) ;you can guess
                        if maxID >=0 then    ; else error msg in getMaxID()
                                dtc.Txt= memoData ; Txt is a memo field
                                dtc."Detail ID"= maxID
                                dtc.endedit()
                                return True     ; succeeded!
                        endif   ; maxID
                endif   ; insert
        endif   ; readin succeeded
        return False
endmethod

             Peter Hyde, South Pacific Information Services Ltd
          Christchurch, New Zealand - one world away from reality

1. Success with P4W4.5 MEMO FIELD IMPORTATION!!!

After literally months of trying to import to a memo field via Paradox for
Windows V4.5 and utilizing every bit of documentation from Borland, I have
finally been able to get this feature to work. But the credit goes to the
writer of memo.zip, a file which expands into two undelivered forms and a
"readme" text file, one of which does the job.

If anyone else is having similar import/export problems, I recommend getting
memo.zip. It can be accessed via ftp from ftp.borland.com in the sub-directory
/pub/libs/pdx/bi/win.

JEFFREY GLENN SAIKALI

**Windoze sucks. But until some cyberspace wizard comes along to rescue us
from the nightmare of an operating environment that crashes at least three
times per day, I guess we'll all keep tossing money in Wild Bill's pocket.**

2. MS SQL Equivalent of SP_COLUMNS in ORACLE

3. Bug???-Importing dbfs with MEMO fields

4. Tools Oracle on UNIX/NT + SQLServer on NT + Tools for UNIX/NT(system)

5. Problem importing Access memo fields

6. Microsoft SQL Server vs. Sybase SQL Server

7. VFP large memo(binary) fields failing to import properly

8. Union of Tables

9. Import FoxPro tables with Memo field

10. Importing Memo Fields from Access to SQL 7.0

11. Import Visual FoxPro file with memo fields

12. Importing Access memo fields to SQL Server 2000