HELP HELP Report totals in Headers - not footers

HELP HELP Report totals in Headers - not footers

Post by ragt.. » Tue, 28 May 1996 04:00:00

I NEED  to print reports that have part-number wt and quantity summaries
before the details.  Boy am I getting descuraged!   NEED SOLUTION YESTERDAY!

REPORT MUST FLOW AS FOLLOWS:

TOTAL QUANT OF ALL PARTS
  GENEREAL DETAILS AND TOTALS FOR SHIPMENT

TOTAL QUANT/INFO OF PART #1
  DETAILS of first PART #1
  DETAILS of secont PART #1

TOTAL QUANT/INFO OF PART #2
  DETAILS of first  PART #2
  DETAILS of second PART #2

ETC.

I can query the overall totals and details and place into variables but how
can I do the rest.

PLEASE E-MAIL OR POST

[Thanks for the help in advance!]

'You learn something new every day ... whether you like it or not!'

HELP HELP Report totals in Headers - not footers

Post by Jeff Benshetle » Wed, 29 May 1996 04:00:00

I had a somewhat similar problem in that I wanted to print a report with
the color of each row controlled by the data in the report.  To the best
of my knowledge this cannot be done with a Paradox report.

What I did instead was to create a form with a table frame of calculated
fields.  In general the fields just pulled the data in from the query.
However, one of the fields tested to see if the sales for that part were
 15% above or below the previous years sales and set the color of the
row to green or red respectively.

While it would be quite a bit more work, you could do something similar
with your report.  You would have calculated fields that initially
printed the summaries and then printed the details based on a global
state variable.

HELP HELP Report totals in Headers - not footers

Post by Steve Gree » Thu, 30 May 1996 04:00:00

Query out the various sub-totals, as you already
guessed.. then key that Answer table, so you can
link it directly to the report.. now you can place
the linked totals anywhere in the group..

--
Steve Green - Diamond Software Group - Waldorf Maryland USA
CompuServe 71333.2362 - Prodigy TBMG62A -  I am a member of

Post by Sundial Servic » Thu, 30 May 1996 04:00:00

>I had a somewhat similar problem in that I wanted to print a report with
>the color of each row controlled by the data in the report.  To the best
>of my knowledge this cannot be done with a Paradox report.
>What I did instead was to create a form with a table frame of calculated
>fields.  In general the fields just pulled the data in from the query.
>However, one of the fields tested to see if the sales for that part were
> 15% above or below the previous years sales and set the color of the
>row to green or red respectively.
>While it would be quite a bit more work, you could do something similar
>with your report.  You would have calculated fields that initially
>printed the summaries and then printed the details based on a global
>state variable.

Having been burned, I always do report totals outside of reports using
separate query-sequences that culminate in running the report itself.  In
fact, it is not uncommon for one of our reports to involve thirty or forty
steps before the report runs.  That's why we developed the Paradox Report
Sequencer as an internal tool, and since released it to the public as our
ReportRabbit product.  There was simply too much balderdash over the months
and years about report-subtotals and page-breaks and you-can-do-this-but-not-
that...  Anyway it works, and the customers are none the wiser.  Otherwise
you're doing too much work for every report, for just too many reports.

/mr/

http://www.azwebproducts.com/computer/sundial/sundial1.htm

HELP HELP Report totals in Headers - not footers

Post by KJumo » Thu, 06 Jun 1996 04:00:00

You do not state whether DOS or Windows, but grouping should help you with
this, Grouping by Part number, subgrouping etc