Problem with Paradox 3.5 application converted to Paradox 4 (Dos)

Problem with Paradox 3.5 application converted to Paradox 4 (Dos)

Post by Gloria W. Sag » Fri, 19 Sep 1997 04:00:00

I have an application written for Paradox 3.5 which I converted to Paradox
4.02 and am running under Win95.  The application runs fine except that
reports viewed on the screen stay on the screen for a fraction of a second.
 The same program runs fine using Runtime 4.0 .... the reports stay on the
screen until F2 is pressed.

Any ideas?  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Also since it is difficult to obtain copies of Paradox 4.0 (for a customer)
would there be any problem running a converted (libraries converted) 3.5
application under Paradox 4.5 for Dos.

GWS

1. Converting from Paradox 3.5 for DOS to Paradox 5.0 for Windows

: Hi everyone.  I have a couple questions about Paradox 5.0 that I hope you
: can answer.  Please forgive me if they have been asked before or are in
: the FAQ (I wasn't able to find it).

: 1.  Is there an equivalent to CoEdit for the windows version?  I'm :
planning : to install 5.0 on everyone's workstations, but sharing the data
on our : network.  Will there be problems with sharing data that way?

The default (in fact, the ONLY way) is co-edit, called simply EDIT in
Windows.  If you want EDIT like DOS version you have to specify a full
lock on the table.

: 2.  I have a table which I'd like to use as a pull down menu as well.
Is : there : an easy way to make the entries in the table become items in
the list?  I : would : get rid of the table entirely, except we use it to
run queries off of.  I : guess : the alternative would be, is there a way
to include the items of a list : in : a query?

Pull down menu?  I think you meant dropList?  There's an example in the
manual on how to do this.  It's about the "datasource" property of the
list.

You can have "variable queries" just like DOS version.  The tilde query
is still valid, and in fact is more useful here.

: 3.  Having never programmed in an Object based language before, I'm :
finding it : difficult not to think in a sequential, procedural way.  Does
anyone know : of : any books out there that will help make the transition
easier?  I thought : it might : be neat to be able to use a reference that
talks about the differences : with : PAL and OPAL in more depth than the
Borland manuals.

There's a Borland techfax on this subject.  See your support document for
details.  Techfax is free.

I find it helpful to think of what is the task that needs to be done,
then design the user interface, (tableframe or multi-record?  what type
of buttons?  etc.)  then finally put in some code in the buttons and
stuff to make them actually do what you wnat.

--
+============================================================================+

|| Pretty good Paradox for Windows Programmer, self-proclaimed Treknologist ||
|| [  the rest of this sig is under construction until further notice...  ] ||
+============================================================================+

2. Problem with RDO and DBList controls...

3. Conversion Paradox 3.5 DOS to Paradox 4.5 Windows

4. HELP!! Deleted Table without a backup

5. Converting / Accessing Paradox 3.5 files with Paradox 7 For Win 95

6. 32-bit ODBC driver problems

7. Paradox SE, Paradox 3/3.5 Paradox Engine

8. Please add Phil Stollery to INFO-INGRES mailing list

9. Modified Scripting problems in Paradox 3.5 for DOS

10. Problems with Paradox DOS after upgrade from 3.5 to 4.02

11. Paradox 3.5 for DOS under Windows 95 - problems ??

12. Converting DOS Paradox to Paradox 9

13. Converting, Importing, or Updating Paradox 4.5 for DOS Scripts to Paradox 5 for Win