Pdox 7 (NT) "gotcha's"

Post by Igor Firkusn » Fri, 09 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Just thought I'd share the following "gotcha's" I've recently run into, since I haven't seen anything
written about it and it might save some of you some confusion, if not some work:

I recently started playing with Pdox 7 on NT 3.51 (FAT file system, which may matter), and the first
thing I tried was to try running some 5.0 scripts I've been working with. A few things did not perform
as expected, and after a little bit of tracing I figured out why:

1) In at least some cases, 7.0 handles "default" filename extensions differently. Specifically, if
executeQBE() or executeSQL() are called and passed just a table name without the .DB extension, e.g.,
execute QBE (":ALIAS:TABLE"), 5.0 puts the answer into table ":ALIAS:TABLE.DB". However, for some
reason, 7.0 names the new table "TABLEDB.DB" I don't know if this is a "feature" or a bug, and I don't
know if it happens just with FAT (maybe a long-filename problem???) or also NTFS etc., but it can
easily be a problem when running old 5.0 code. Interestingly enough, I only had this problem in
instances of table creation. Calls such as tc.open(":ALIAS:TABLE") will correctly open the
file TABLE.DB. I haven't experimented to see what happens if both TABLE.DB and TABLEDB.DB exist, or if
it would open the latter in the absecse of the former, etc...

I'd be interested on any info about this stuff, re. documentation, similar possible problems, etc.

Hope this was helpful to some of you.

Pdox 7 (NT) "gotcha's"

Post by Stefan Boding » Sat, 10 Aug 1996 04:00:00

I've only run into your first problem where you supply an answer table and
get  tableDB.DB and I don't know if it's a bug or a feature. It has nothing
to do with NT as it is the same in Win-95.  But I do know how to correct it
in code. It is also a SQL speciffic (does not show up in QBE) and it will
only happen if you supply ":ALIAS:TABLE" as your answer table(no .DB in the
end), if you don't add .DB yourself paradox will add DB.DB for you.
        Regards,
        Stefan Bodingh

Quote:> Just thought I'd share the following "gotcha's" I've recently run into,

since I haven't seen anything
Quote:> written about it and it might save some of you some confusion, if not
some work:

> I recently started playing with Pdox 7 on NT 3.51 (FAT file system, which

may matter), and the first
Quote:> thing I tried was to try running some 5.0 scripts I've been working with.

A few things did not perform
Quote:> as expected, and after a little bit of tracing I figured out why:

> 1) In at least some cases, 7.0 handles "default" filename extensions

differently. Specifically, if
Quote:> executeQBE() or executeSQL() are called and passed just a table name

without the .DB extension, e.g.,
Quote:> execute QBE (":ALIAS:TABLE"), 5.0 puts the answer into table

":ALIAS:TABLE.DB". However, for some
Quote:> reason, 7.0 names the new table "TABLEDB.DB" I don't know if this is a

"feature" or a bug, and I don't
Quote:> know if it happens just with FAT (maybe a long-filename problem???) or

also NTFS etc., but it can
Quote:> easily be a problem when running old 5.0 code. Interestingly enough, I

only had this problem in
Quote:> instances of table creation. Calls such as tc.open(":ALIAS:TABLE") will