Pdox win develop market in US?

Post by Brian Cla » Fri, 03 Feb 1995 01:46:23

I posted something like this before and didn't get any response, but there
were about 3 times as many articles posted then as now so I'll try again.

I curious what the job market is like for PdoxWin programmers.  I'm in a
shell because I'm a CS student and just working part time for the university.
Most of you are out there in the "real world" and I'm wondering what the
market is like.  Basically I'm wondering what my chances are to work with
high level stuff (which is what I prefer) instead of the C, C++ stuff.  I'm
not asking for a job, I'm just wondering what the job market is like so I
know what to do so that I'm marketable in the future.  Any comments would
be appreciated.

Thanks much,
Brian

Post by Kuo-Sheng (Kas » Thu, 09 Feb 1995 13:40:57

: I curious what the job market is like for PdoxWin programmers.  I'm in a
: shell because I'm a CS student and just working part time for the
university. : Most of you are out there in the "real world" and I'm
wondering what the : market is like.  Basically I'm wondering what my
chances are to work with : high level stuff (which is what I prefer)
instead of the C, C++ stuff.  I'm : not asking for a job, I'm just
wondering what the job market is like so I : know what to do so that I'm
marketable in the future.  Any comments would : be appreciated.

Chance?  PDOXWIN programmers are not that high in demand, to tell you the
truth, which in itself is a bad thing.  People are much more interested
in Visual BASIC or (eeek!) Access programmers than PDOXWIn programmers.

I would say learn Visual BASIC first, while keep your feet wet in OPAL
and Pascal (to be ready for Delphi).

--
+============================================================================+

|| Pretty good Paradox for Windows Programmer, self-proclaimed Treknologist ||
|| [  the rest of this sig is under construction until further notice...  ] ||
+============================================================================+

1. Pdox for Win 4.5 Runtime messes Pdox for Win 1.0

After our network adminstrator installed a new Pdox for Win 4.5 Runtime
application to launch it to users (server), strange things has
happened. When I open local Pdox for Win 1.0, open folder with form icon and
double click it, it's default is to pfwrun.exe! If I right click form icon,
there it is in the top of the popup menu: Run pfwrun.exe! I have noticed that
Borland Odapi-based applications carelessly write to win.ini file and
generally mess up with different versions of dlls. Also odapi.cfg settings
seems to be pain in heterogenous network environment where different versions
of Paradox for Win and Quattro Pro for Win exist. If you people out there
have solutions, I'm very pleased to hear of them.

Thanks, Jussi

2. D.C. DBA's or UNIX Admin.

3. Problem: Developing on Win 98 and running on Win NT

4. To Query or not to Query? That is the problem...

5. HOW DO I CONVERT A PDOX 4.5 SCRIPT TO PDOX 5 OR 8 FOR WIN

6. jdbc connection problem

7. Question: pdox(dos) vs. pdox(win)

8. Client Tools

9. pdox(dos) vs. pdox(win)

10. Exporting Pdox memo fields to ascii - Pdox for Win 4.5

11. Pdox 5 and Win 3.1/locate producing win error

12. Installing PDOX for Win 5.0 in Win 95?

13. Pdox Win 5.0 VS dbase win 5.0 transactions