All of a sudden getting contant 'Your program has caused illegal operation - bye bye' What's going on???

All of a sudden getting contant 'Your program has caused illegal operation - bye bye' What's going on???

Post by Tim Cra » Mon, 05 Feb 1996 04:00:00

I had Paradox for Windows 4.5 working reasonably under my WIN95 setup
(about 1 crash/day - acceptable!) but now, all of a sudden it's refusing to
run ANY forms or scripts.

Ir loads OK but someway into running the OPAL it gives up and shows me the
now very familiar 'Illegal Operatiom' dialog box.

Is this a known problem - what can I do?

Tim

All of a sudden getting contant 'Your program has caused illegal operation - bye bye' What's going on???

Post by Gary L. McQui » Mon, 05 Feb 1996 04:00:00

:>
:>I had Paradox for Windows 4.5 working reasonably under my WIN95 setup
:>(about 1 crash/day - acceptable!) but now, all of a sudden it's refusing to
:>run ANY forms or scripts.
:>
:>Ir loads OK but someway into running the OPAL it gives up and shows me the
:>now very familiar 'Illegal Operatiom' dialog box.
:>
:>Is this a known problem - what can I do?
:>
:>Tim
Push the details button and the response may give you additional hints.

Post by Tim Cra » Tue, 06 Feb 1996 04:00:00

| Push the details button and the response may give you additional hints.

OK - I am familiar with low level programming but I, erm, can't say that
this help me a whole bunch!

This is what I get:

        PDOXWIN caused a general protection fault
        in module ODAPI01.DLL at 001b:0000212d.
        Registers:
        EAX=00000000 CS=3eef EIP=0000212d EFLGS=00000206
        EBX=000068d8 SS=300f ESP=00008400 EBP=00008406
        ECX=0000617a DS=24ff ESI=00020001 FS=0000
        EDX=000068d8 ES=2f37 EDI=00000005 GS=0147
        Bytes at CS:EIP:
        26 ff 6f 2f c4 5e 06 26 8b 47 78 26 0b 47 7a 74
        Stack dump:
        68d80000 841d2f37 3eef20e7 2f377ac8 68d80000 7ac82f37 00012f37
        05e48499 00053eef 2f377ac8 00000000 445c3a43 5c415441 41524150
        5c584f44 41524150

Is this clearer to you than me ???

TC

Post by Tim Cra » Wed, 07 Feb 1996 04:00:00

| I am given to believe that a major update to Win95 can be expected in a few
| weeks and I hope a solution to this problem is included.  An awful lot of
| people who are "movers and shakers" in getting Win95 rolled-in are not going
| to make any serious moves regarding this software until problems like this are
| removed.  :-!

Well it's nice to know that it's not just me getting this problem. I can't
figure out why it should just start to happen though. Paradox and Netscape
(Beta5) now won't run at all. I've completely re-installed everything to no
avail. Even if it was an operating system fault it doesn't explain the
inconsistency of it all. It really seems like a virus but I've tried all
the main scanners and got a clean check.

Getting very frustrated now.

Tim

Post by Sundial Servic » Wed, 07 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>| I am given to believe that a major update to Win95 can be expected in a few
>| weeks and I hope a solution to this problem is included.  An awful lot of
>| people who are "movers and shakers" in getting Win95 rolled-in are not going
>| to make any serious moves regarding this software until problems like this are
>| removed.  :-!
>Well it's nice to know that it's not just me getting this problem. I can't
>figure out why it should just start to happen though. Paradox and Netscape
>(Beta5) now won't run at all. I've completely re-installed everything to no
>avail. Even if it was an operating system fault it doesn't explain the
>inconsistency of it all. It really seems like a virus but I've tried all
>the main scanners and got a clean check.

If the problem is an "Invalid page fault" then this is the bug I'm talking
about.  If it is "General protection fault" then it could be something else.

But this is what you do run into, out on the bleedin' bleeding-edge.  :-/

/mr/

All of a sudden getting contant 'Your program has caused illegal operation - bye bye' What's going on???

Post by Gary L. McQui » Fri, 09 Feb 1996 04:00:00

:>
:>
[...]
I tried installing a beta of Netscape and after the install none (those I
tried) of my 16-bit apps would work. There was no effect on the 32-bit apps. I
deleted the beta and reinstalled v1.5. Still on 16-bit apps. I then tried
deleting some dlls in win/sys and reinstalling MS Office. No luck. I then tried
reinstalling Win95 and picked the option (somewhat like) corrupted and missing
files. The function of the 16-bit apps returned. My guess is some dll was
changed by the beta and worked with 32 but not 16-bit apps. After reinstalling
some functions I had changed in Win95 were changed back to default so this is
NOT something to do on my wanderings, just something to think about. This is to
me a serious undertaking! Question: Paradox worked? Then we did something? Then
it did not work? What did we do? Your mention of Netscape jogged my memory but
it could be any new program that changed a dll that is causing a problem.

All of a sudden getting contant 'Your program has caused illegal operation - bye bye' What's going on???

Post by Andrea Hoe » Thu, 15 Feb 1996 04:00:00

..
[snip]

>:>Well it's nice to know that it's not just me getting this problem. I

can't figure out why it should just start to happen though. Paradox and
Netscape (Beta5) now won't run at all. I've completely >:>re-installed
everything to noavail.

[snip snip]

says...

Quote:>I tried installing a beta of Netscape and after the install none >(those I

tried) of my 16-bit apps would work.

We ran into some really strange problems under Netscape Beta5 and ended up
going back to Beta3 until the final release was made.  Don't know what they
did, but haven't seen any irregularities under the final release (so far).

1. SQL Server went bye-bye after install / patch

Verify in HKLM/system/ccs/services/mssqlserver that the path is correct,
and verify that master.dat is in the same location that the above registry
key thinks...

--
Richard Waymire, MCT, MCSE, MVP (SQLServer)
Principal Engineer, ARIS Corp.

2. Having parameter problems scripting DTS execution from ASP

3. Init went bye bye

4. BDE Question

5. bye-bye master

6. 5.5 and Execute SQL

7. Bye Bye

8. 7.3b3 passes on MacOSX 10.2.1

9. Bye-bye mvBase and mvEnterprise

10. FilePro - was Re: Bye Bye $CO

11. Bye Bye $CO

12. SP execution getting 'Operation Cancelled'