Paradox 4.5 for DOS problems on Pentium II

Post by Steve Gree » Tue, 26 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> I have Paradox application that works fine on computers
> up to Pentium MMX at 233.
> Now we have problems with working on computers based on Pentium II at
> 300MHz.
> Paradox frequently exits with error "GP  AT ...".

I've seen this reported occasionally, but don't have and hardware that fast
to test it on.. to the best of my knowledge, if this *is* true, there is no
workaround..

--
Steve Green
Corel CTech - Paradox

http://www.diamondsg.com    <- please note our new web site

Post by Steve Gree » Wed, 27 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> Steve - I've got Pdox45 running on a PII 450 with no problems whatever...I
> suspect there's more to the problem than CPU speed...such as the
> aforementioned 5GB hard drive...if this is one volume (drive), could this be
> a Lesspace issue?

You seem to be correct.. imagine that <g>

--

Post by Steve Gree » Thu, 28 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> You may have already thought of, and tried this, already, but
> when I had the same symptom (on a slower Pentium) I fixed it by
> going into properties for the shortcut and
> setting Initial Environment to 1024 (rather than Auto). (In the icon, select
> Properties/Memory/Initial Environment then select 1024).

You should *never* fool around with the Properties settings with PdoxDOS.. the
command line is all that matters.. all that you can acomplish this way is to
artificially restrict pdox's memory, and potentially cause a GP crash..

--
Steve Green
Corel CTech - Paradox
Diamond Software Group, Inc.
Waldorf, Maryland  USA

http://www.diamondsg.com    <- please note our new web site

Paradox 4.5 for DOS problems on Pentium II

Post by Bob Stub » Fri, 29 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Howdy:

PMFJI.

Is your Paradox run off of the network or locally?  Is your data local
or remote?  What brand is your computer?

Bob

Paradox 4.5 for DOS problems on Pentium II

Post by Kon » Sun, 31 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I have added parameter -norealheap and now work stable.

Could you be more specific? Like tell me how to do it step-by-step?
Reason I ask is because I was afraid of that problem so still staying
on Pent. 233mmx machine and Win95 (FAT16). BTW, mine is PdoxDox3.5
Thanks
kong

Paradox 4.5 for DOS problems on Pentium II

Post by Bob Stub » Sun, 31 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Kong:

The "-norealheap" parameter is another startup parameter that you can
use, just like the "-extk 16000" that you probably already use.  It's
been so long that I don't remember what it's used for (the "real
heap", as it were) - perhaps one of the gurus can address that.

Bob

Post by Steve Gree » Sun, 31 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> >I have added parameter -norealheap and now work stable.

> Could you be more specific? Like tell me how to do it step-by-step?
> Reason I ask is because I was afraid of that problem so still staying
> on Pent. 233mmx machine and Win95 (FAT16). BTW, mine is PdoxDox3.5

First off, the -norealheap switch deals with how pdoxdos handles
conventional memory.. I haven't seen a single machine that ends up with
more conventional memory this way in *many* years.. of course, we may end
up seeing that this switch cures something other that what it was
intended for, like the -bios switch does under NT..

If you scroll thru the messages on this thread, I think you will find
that the original person's problem was really too big a hard drive.. the
cure is lesspace.com, which is mentioned in this manner in *many* threads
here..

As for your problem, if you are using PdoxDOS 3.5 under *any* version of
Windows, the only safe way to do it is Real Mode.. conventional memory
only.. under 95/98/NT, that also means a DOS Only box, which not only
cuts off all the memory, but cuts off the network, too..

You should be using PdoxDOS 4.02 to run your 3.x stuff under Windows..
there are also *many* threads here on that subject, too..

--
Steve Green
Corel CTech - Paradox
Diamond Software Group, Inc.
Waldorf, Maryland  USA

http://www.diamondsg.com    <- please note our new web site

Paradox 4.5 for DOS problems on Pentium II

Post by Steve Gree » Sun, 31 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> HDD: 4.3GB Quantum

You ned lesspace.com.. you can find it on my web site..

--
Steve Green
Corel CTech - Paradox
Diamond Software Group, Inc.
Waldorf, Maryland  USA

http://www.diamondsg.com    <- please note our new web site

1. pdox40 (dos) problem on pentium II

I am unable to get paradox for dos (4.02) to run on Pentium II even after
changing pdoxdos.pif file to -extK 16000.  If I type paradox extk 16000 at
command line it will open, but I need just to type paradox as on older
machines.

Interestingly, if I double click on the pdoxdos.pif file in the Windows98
Find feature - paradox opens and runs just fine in windows.  When I attempt
to make pdoxdos.pif a desktop shortcut I get the error message and dumped.

I really need to just type paradox at the ms-dos prompt (command line) and
have paradox run.  A step by step set of instructions would help me.
Thanks.

Lee Ezman

2. Another servername in triggers possible?

3. Pentium II and Paradox 7 - problems

4. Question: Online 7.14 not shutting dwn completly

5. IMPORT PARADOX FOR DOS V 4.5 INTO PDOXWIN 4.5

6. Using UDF's to update tables

7. HELP! - DOS GP errors-Paradox 4.5 for DOS

8. ADO: Business object cannot be created?

9. Paradox 4.5 for DOS and Windows 95 DOS 7.x

10. Printing problems with Paradox 4.5 for DOS.

11. Paradox Dos 4.5 Problem

12. Paradox 4.5 DOS Database problems in Novell 3.12

13. Problem:Paradox 4.5 for Dos in Win96