converting 3.4 to 4.5

Post by matth.. » Sun, 03 Jul 1994 01:33:48

How much work is involved in converting tables and scripts from 3.5 to
4.5 (DOS)?

4.5 (Win)?

Thanks

Information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth.
Truth is absolute.

converting 3.4 to 4.5

Post by John C. Le » Sun, 03 Jul 1994 20:34:26

>Newsgroups: comp.databases.paradox
>Subject: converting 3.4 to 4.5
>Date: 1 Jul 1994 16:33:48 GMT

>How much work is involved in converting tables and scripts from 3.5 to
>4.5 (DOS)?
>4.5 (Win)?
>Thanks
>--

>--
>Information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth.
>Truth is absolute.

Tables can be used unmodified.  However, a simple restructure will bring them
to 4.0+ format.  I took an older 3.5 app, and 'converted' it to 4.0 with a
simple re-make of the LIBs, restructure of the tables, and renaming one
variable that conflicted with a new reserved word.  Now runs under 4.0 runtime
with no problem.

HOWEVER, be very aware that the older-style interface (now called 'compatible'
mode) was done away in 4.5 (Lotus-style menus, etc).  The shift to the newer
Turbo-Vision style interface (windowing, dialog boxes, etc) will take you some
time, tho it's really neat.  IOW, 3.5 interface code works under 4.0 just by
setting one variable to indicate the mode.  It won't work at all under 4.5.
For that reason alone (i.e. having to learn a new interface), I decided to go
to FoxPro/DOS and FoxPro/Win, where essentially the same language and
interface exist.  If ya gots to learn again, may as well learn something that
handles both environments, I says.

converting 3.4 to 4.5

Post by Kuo-Sheng (Kas » Wed, 06 Jul 1994 08:37:51

: How much work is involved in converting tables and scripts from 3.5 to
: 4.5 (DOS)?

Virtually none.  You may want to restructure the tables to take advantage
of the new and better locking methods, as well as the new field types
like BLOB and MEMO.  You may also want to revamp the interface to use the
drop-down and pop-up menus.

: 4.5 (Win)?

Only the tables can be used.  The scripts must be rewritten from scratch,
due to different programming paradigm.

||   (the rest of this .sig is under construction...)                       ||

1. CONVERTING 3.4 TO 4.5

Greetings Matt;

 > How much work is involved in converting tables and scripts from 3.5
 > 4.5 (DOS)?

 Converting TABLES form 3.5 to 4.5 is a matter of restructuring the tables
 in your application(s)...  However, the scripts are a different matter.

 In 4.5 the "compatible" UI is no longer supported and this would require
 alot of rewriting of code.

 > 4.5 (Win)?

  The table structures are the only compatible items going from 3.5 to
  PDOXWIN 4.5.  The forms, reports, and scripts (in 3.5) cannot be used.

  Good luck!

* Phil Tusa
* Soiree Software Solutions
* (713) 347-2500

2. Unusual problem with Printform?

3. postgres 7.0.3 on FreeBSD 3.4

4. Finding the Max value and adding one

5. Bug #712: Documentation Section 3.4 Binary

6. databases, software

7. Bug #712: Documentation Section 3.4 Binary Strings

8. Authentication

9. Linking Oracle8.0.5 with Veritas Netbackup 3.4

10. anyone use NBU 3.4 together with infx 7.34

11. Informix restore via Netbackup 3.4 fails

12. VERITAS Netbackup 3.4 w/Informix 9.30?

13. Veritas Netbackup 3.4 and Informix 9.21