Paradox Conversion to Access or Paradox for Windows

Paradox Conversion to Access or Paradox for Windows

Post by CMCLO » Wed, 11 Aug 1999 04:00:00

What is the opinion regarding converting from Paradox 3.0 for DOS to Access
rather than Paradox for windows?  Which is most cost effective, less time
involved?  Our existing database was set up by a predecessor- which means many
of the scripts written needs to be translated.

Paradox Conversion to Access or Paradox for Windows

Post by Kasey Chan » Wed, 11 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> What is the opinion regarding converting from Paradox 3.0 for DOS to
> Access rather than Paradox for windows?  Which is most cost effective,
> less time involved?  Our existing database was set up by a
> predecessor- which means many of the scripts written needs to be
> translated.

As both involves practically a complete rewrite from scratch, the
difference mainly depends on the amount of onsite expertise you have. If
you have more Access expertise, go with Access. Otherwise, stick with
Paradox.

--
Kuo-Sheng "Kasey" Chang / spam-hater /
Paradox guru / X-Com Guru / Sci-Fi Fan /

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Post by Steve Gree » Wed, 11 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> What is the opinion regarding converting from Paradox 3.0 for DOS to Access
> rather than Paradox for windows?  Which is most cost effective, less time
> involved?  Our existing database was set up by a predecessor- which means many
> of the scripts written needs to be translated.

if you have no pre-existing knowledge of either current product, the most
important issue is finding thee right competent pregrammer to do the work for
you.. assuming your app is failly small and simple, either product will work..
it's the programmer that's important.. the current code is merely a guideline, for
many reasons.. it hopefully is the map to your business rules..

--
Steve Green
Corel CTech - Paradox

http://www.diamondsg.com

Paradox Conversion to Access or Paradox for Windows

Post by Mike Irwin [CTech » Wed, 11 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Given all other things are equal, staying with Paradox will allow you
to retain your current tables during the period of development and
deployment of the new version. This may be of considerable one-time
benefit, if you have a lot of data involved and the programs you are
using now can be relied on while development proceeds. You also tend to
simplify arguments over which version is "right" when both sides use
the same tables.
--
Mike Irwin                    It's not because things are hard that we
[Volunteer CTech Sysop,       don't dare them; it's because we don't

Post by Sundial Service » Thu, 12 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> What is the opinion regarding converting from Paradox 3.0 for DOS to Access
> rather than Paradox for windows?  Which is most cost effective, less time
> involved?  Our existing database was set up by a predecessor- which means many
> of the scripts written needs to be translated.

I would convert the system to Paradox for Windows, without question.

Having done many, many conversions of this kind in years past, I can
also say that you will find that much of the old Paradox for DOS code
will not need to be converted, and that much more of it will be vastly
simplified by the enhanced capabilities of Paradox for Windows.

As for Access, frankly I am becoming more and more dissatisfied with it,
each release.  "And I don't give a <!> who sells it!"  :-)  Our business
consists of "Paradox, Access, and Delphi" (and ChimneySweep ;-)) ... and
Access is not putting on a good show these days, while Paradox keeps
chugging along.

1. Paradox DOS to Paradox Windows Conversion help needed

Ok, I'm reposting this again in one last cry for help. If anyone has
ANY suggestions, please respond.

Can anyone help me to either find or write a routine which duplicates
the "MultiAdd" routine found in Paradox DOS? I've never used the
routine, and don't know exactly what it should be doing. I need to
duplicate it for a conversion that I'm doing.

Someone please help

Bryan Mohr

2. fileBrowserEx and TCursor problems

3. Conversion Paradox 3.5 DOS to Paradox 4.5 Windows

4. CA-BC-Van Web Development Team needed, several positions

5. Paradox 3.5 to Paradox 8 Conversion

6. Performance loss: ODBC, jet engine, MDB on file server

7. paradox dos workshop application > windows conversion

8. Can you program in Java, HTML, CGI or Perl?

9. paradox dos to windows conversion

10. Paradox 3.5 to Paradox 5.0 for Windows

11. Besoin d'aide pour passer de Paradox V3.5 DOS à Paradox V7 Windows

12. Paradox 5 and Paradox 7 under Windows NT