Can an answer table append an answer table?

Can an answer table append an answer table?

Post by Dave Lakosk » Sat, 26 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I have a table that tracks attendance.

Date        Name    morning    evening
1/2/2000    John    present    present
1/2/2000    Mary    present    absent
1/3/2000    John    present    present
1/3/2000    Mary    absent    absent

The end result is to have a query and crosstab tell me how many times a
person is absent for that period.    I will not be able to change the
structure of the table any suggestions down that road wont be needed.

So that it looks like this....

name        present    absent
----------------------------
John            4                0
Mary            1                3

I can do this in the MS competitor,  but really want to do it in
Paradox9.
What I did in MSaccess was  run a new query on the name and the morning
period and did a count on the morning period.   (OK in P9 so far...)
Next I ran a query on the name and the evening period with a count of
the evening period.   In the second query Im able to append the results
to the first query plus specify that "evening" be appended to "morning"
along with the respective counts.   ( Cant find a way to do this in P9,
yet..)  Then I do a crosstab on the final table and I get something
similar to the example up above.

Any ideas on a P9 way to do this?   I know my route will most probably
be using SQL but some of the MSAccess SQL commands dont work.
Thanks.

Dave

Can an answer table append an answer table?

Post by Steve Urba » Sun, 27 Feb 2000 04:00:00

On Fri, 25 Feb 2000 13:19:05 -0600, Dave Lakoske

>Any ideas on a P9 way to do this?   I know my route will most probably
>be using SQL but some of the MSAccess SQL commands dont work.
>Thanks.

>Dave

You can only have one Answer Table at a time.
So
Rename the first Answer Table to a "Reserved Tablename" like "list".
Or
Declare a tablename to be private and rename to that name.

Using Private/reserved_names keeps the tables in the private directory
(everyone can also have "their version" at the same time

Steve U
,        _
,       | \                           Steve Urbach
,       |  )erek

,  / / /                              http://www.greenduck.com

1. Answers, answers, who has the answers?

First off, I'm still hoping to get some clues on how to set up a query to
perform the same series of actions on multiple fields in a table without having
to set up each field separately.

Now for a fresh set of questions...

1)  I've set up library code to open a multiple-selection form and get all the
selected values.  (ie, a list of contacts with a checkbox attached to each
displayed record, allowing the selection of all, some, or none of the people)
The values are tracked in a dynarray, but pdox refuses to let the library
method pass the dynarray back as a return value.  Can this be done by some
(relatively) direct means, or will the list of selections have to be passed
one-by-one?

1a)  I've noticed that Paradox only seems to track as many checkbox values as
the tableframe displays.  With DataArriveRecord, I've been able to set the
check to fit each record's actual select status as it receives focus, but not
as it comes onscreen (via moving through the list pagewise, for instance).
Any suggestions?

2)  Another library method is meant to jump from a master/detail form to a
form showing a the detail table in greater detail (say, from a Company
screen with a list of contacts to a Contact screen showing additional info
on a specific contact).  When coded specifically for each combination of
forms, it works, jumping to the desired detail record by attaching a tcursor
to a field, finding the contact, and resyncing the field.  The library version
needs to be told what field to attach itself to for this search since there are
no fields that are guarantted to be on every form; I passed this field ID to
the method as a UIObject-type variable named 'LinkField'.  All fine and well
until it hits the attach command and can't find a UIObject on the new form
named 'LinkField'.  I tried having it attach to LinkField.Value, but this
generated a syntax error (which was hardly a surprise).  How can this be
genericized?

3)  Can a tab order be established within a multirecord object without OPAL
coding?  Fields within the MROs I've tried don't respond to tab/backtab at
all...

4)  For the purposes of the DataNextSet/DataPriorSet actions, how is a 'set'
defined?  It appears to default to 10 records.  Can a different number of
records be specified?  For a table indexed on a string, can a 'set' be defined
as all records with the same first character in the index field?

5)  Say you've got a form showing two tables in a 1-1 relationship.  One table
is, of course, defined as the 'master' table.  How can a search be done on one
of the other table's fields?  What if the relationship is 1-many and the
master table is on the many side?  How about searching through a detail table?
(Do you get the impression that I'm less than satisfied with Paradox's default
DataSearch behavior?)

Th-th-th-that's all (for now) folks!

2. Multiple processors, configuration

3. Linking Answer table to Master table

4. Help!

5. Lost Record in Answer Table with running a query including two tables in Paradox 5.0

6. ODBC 7 Paradox

7. Refreshing a source table with Answer table updates ?

8. outer join in sybase

9. Question and answer lost on a SQL query (answer from avegaart)

10. Auto Answer Append QRY Warning

11. D2, MS SQL SRV, Temporary tables - Do you have the answer

12. failed sanity check, table answers was not found

13. Save SQL Answer Table Easy Way ??