Porting Paradox DOS apps to Windows

Post by Rod Wal » Tue, 13 Nov 2001 08:24:33

Hi,

I use Paradox 4.5 for DOS and also own Paradox 9 for Windows. Over the
years my company had a number of custom apps written for Ver 4.5. Is
there any way to use those applications in the Windows version?

I've seen some references to Ver 10, but all I find at Corel.com is
Ver 9 - is there a Version 10?

Thank you,
Rod

Porting Paradox DOS apps to Windows

Post by Liz » Tue, 13 Nov 2001 08:47:26

Rod,

Yes, there's a version 10.  It's only available as part of
WordPerfect Office 2002 Professional.

Regards,

Liz
---
http://www.thedbcommunity.com/
http://www.aros.net/~law/

> Hi,

> I use Paradox 4.5 for DOS and also own Paradox 9 for Windows. Over the
> years my company had a number of custom apps written for Ver 4.5. Is
> there any way to use those applications in the Windows version?

> I've seen some references to Ver 10, but all I find at Corel.com is
> Ver 9 - is there a Version 10?

> Thank you,
> Rod

Porting Paradox DOS apps to Windows

Post by Rod Wal » Tue, 13 Nov 2001 17:30:57

DEar Liz,

Thank you!

In your opinion, other than the price of a suite I probably won't use,
is there any downside to upgrading to Ver 10?

Thanks again,
Rod

Post by Steven Gree » Tue, 13 Nov 2001 21:42:08

> I use Paradox 4.5 for DOS and also own Paradox 9 for Windows. Over the
> years my company had a number of custom apps written for Ver 4.5. Is
> there any way to use those applications in the Windows version?

total re-write from square one.. all that ports are the tables themselves,
and your business rules (if they still apply)

--
------------------------------

Steve Green
Waldorf Maryland USA

http://www.diamondsg.com

------------------------------
Diamond Software Group, Inc.
Corel CTech - Paradox Support
------------------------------
Diamond Sports Gems
Sports Cards and Memorabilia
------------------------------

Porting Paradox DOS apps to Windows

Post by Liz » Tue, 13 Nov 2001 22:46:54

Rod,

There's a Paradox 10 newsgroup (corel.wpoffice.paradox10) on this
server which would answer this better than I can.  However, it
appears to have a lot of things fixed and seems stable.  The
biggest problem (nightmare really) appears to be the install
routine, so read the notes over on the P10 group about getting
through that (fairly recent threads - look for one called "I've
had it" and then a follow-up about it having installed).

Liz

> DEar Liz,

> Thank you!

> In your opinion, other than the price of a suite I probably won't use,
> is there any downside to upgrading to Ver 10?

> Thanks again,
> Rod

Porting Paradox DOS apps to Windows

Post by Sundial Service » Wed, 14 Nov 2001 00:50:28

I have been less-than-satisfied with some of the finer points of the
version-9 release, but you can certainly start a conversion project with
that and you might not encounter any difficulties at all.

A Paradox-for-DOS application, when converted to Windows, is usually
about 1/3 the size of the original, but quite different.  It's not a
"port."

One thing you might want to seriously consider, Rod, is to hire a couple
of consultants from this group to prepare for you an outline document
that could be used by your firm to prepare an RFP, or to guide a bid or
quotation process to your client.  Both Steve Green's company and ours
would be possible resources; there are of course many other "regulars"
here that would be qualified too.

Our typical quotes on such work, as an example, are two to three
staff-days (about 24 hours) at $65.00 an hour and we suggest that
clients obtain two if not three such unbiased quotes.  {The firm
offering the quote should not assume that they are going to get any of
the work, will not do the document "for free," and may in fact be
retained to help evaluate bidders at the exclusion of itself.}  It's
cheap insurance to hire another set of eyes to help you and your client
go into a major project with the greatest possible clarity, because
computer projects are typically plagued with well-intentioned "scrap(!)"
work.

> > I use Paradox 4.5 for DOS and also own Paradox 9 for Windows. Over the
> > years my company had a number of custom apps written for Ver 4.5. Is
> > there any way to use those applications in the Windows version?

> total re-write from square one.. all that ports are the tables themselves,
> and your business rules (if they still apply)

Quote:> Fast(!), automatic table-repair with two clicks of the mouse!
> ChimneySweep(R):  Release 4.0 is here!!

Porting Paradox DOS apps to Windows

Post by Rod Wal » Wed, 14 Nov 2001 06:05:21

Thank you for the feedback. I think you made a vaild suggestion.
First, I have to decide if I'll stick with Paradox or go to Access.
Our apps are quite simple as I understand them, but they do the job
well. I realize, one day I'll wake up and some future must-have
version of Windows will not allow me to keep my trusty Paradox 4.5, so
I must get serious about a Windows based database. I certainly like
Access, but Paradox has done a good job for the end-user. I'm not
thrilled with their bundling Version 10. Perhaps some future version
will come as a standalone version sonce again.

In any case, thank you and let me think about what I want to do.

By the way, just got back from Scottsdale (I'm from LA); lovely city.

Thanks,
Rod

Post by Steven Gree » Wed, 14 Nov 2001 22:44:39

> I realize, one day I'll wake up and some future must-have
> version of Windows will not allow me to keep my trusty Paradox 4.5

that statement already applies to all versions except 95 and 98.. better get a *big* cup of coffee <g>

--
------------------------------

Steve Green
Waldorf Maryland USA

http://www.diamondsg.com

------------------------------
Diamond Software Group, Inc.
Corel CTech - Paradox Support
------------------------------
Diamond Sports Gems
Sports Cards and Memorabilia
------------------------------

Porting Paradox DOS apps to Windows

Post by Sundial Service » Thu, 15 Nov 2001 00:54:40

Rod ... listen to us ... that time is -n-o-w- ...  -r-i-g-h-t---n-o-w-
... and there is still time to do something about it.

> > I realize, one day I'll wake up and some future must-have
> > version of Windows will not allow me to keep my trusty Paradox 4.5

> that statement already applies to all versions except 95 and 98.. better get a *big* cup of coffee <g>

> --
> ------------------------------

> Steve Green
> Waldorf Maryland USA

> http://www.diamondsg.com

> ------------------------------
> Diamond Software Group, Inc.
> Corel CTech - Paradox Support
> ------------------------------
> Diamond Sports Gems
> Sports Cards and Memorabilia
> ------------------------------

Quote:> Fast(!), automatic table-repair with two clicks of the mouse!
> ChimneySweep(R):  Release 4.0 is here!!

Porting Paradox DOS apps to Windows

Post by Mr. Elb » Thu, 15 Nov 2001 09:46:45

On Tue, 13 Nov 2001 08:44:39 -0500, Steven Green

Strange, all my  trusty Paradox 4.5 DOS networked applications run
well and quick in Windows  XP. What am I missing?

>> I realize, one day I'll wake up and some future must-have
>> version of Windows will not allow me to keep my trusty Paradox 4.5

>that statement already applies to all versions except 95 and 98.. better get a *big* cup of coffee <g>

Porting Paradox DOS apps to Windows

Post by Dave Porte » Thu, 15 Nov 2001 13:50:49

Quote:> Strange, all my  trusty Paradox 4.5 DOS networked applications run
> well and quick in Windows  XP. What am I missing?

Dear Mr Elbe,
IMO, this is potential good news. Do your trusty Paradox 4.5 Dos Apps use
the mouse?
Dave

Post by Steven Gree » Thu, 15 Nov 2001 22:56:16

> Strange, all my  trusty Paradox 4.5 DOS networked applications run
> well and quick in Windows  XP. What am I missing?

well, if nothing else, you're missing enough time and experience with that platform to consider the
statement meaningful.. Microsoft is going to great lengths to make sure old DOS stuff doesn't work on their
newer platforms.. each version has issues with shell-to-DOS and/or mouse use and/or printing and/or floppy
access and/or DOS commands themselves, etc.. even some interactive menu selections..

to be honest, your apps might not be robust enough to use these, and other problematic things, enough to
even have it come into play.. and therefore your experience wouldn't necessarily be valid for other users..

to get to the point, my apps are massive and complex compared to most people's apps.. there are problems
with *every* platform except 95 and 98, and the problems are different with each platform.. I don't allow
my apps to be used on anything except 95 and 98, period.. on those platforms, I can *guarantee* that
everything works as designed.. and those are the only two that qualify..

--
------------------------------

Steve Green
Waldorf Maryland USA

http://www.diamondsg.com

------------------------------
Diamond Software Group, Inc.
Corel CTech - Paradox Support
------------------------------
Diamond Sports Gems
Sports Cards and Memorabilia
------------------------------

Porting Paradox DOS apps to Windows

Post by Sundial Service » Thu, 15 Nov 2001 23:39:41

As a good example, trusty ol' PKZIP.EXE fails under Windows 2000 with
some obscure fault that kills the entire session.

Given that Microsoft had flawless DOS-support on 32-bit Windows (even
NT) for a period of time, confirms that it can be done.  [Linux does DOS
too.]  The only solid reason that I can see for it not working is ..
marketing.

Nevertheless, the MS-DOS environment contemplated by and designed-for by
Paradox for DOS is enormously different from what you have today.  It is
so much less expensive to build a new replacement using modern tools and
capabilities.

For example, and just throwing a few numbers around here, you might
spend $8,000 on creating one or more RFPs or replacement-system designs,
and another $50,000 on a replacement system -- signed, sealed,
delivered, and most importantly, guaranteed. (I'm excluding annual
maintenance-contract costs.)

Lest you gulp at such an (off the cuff) price guesstimate...  [a] the
cost of keeping a technological dinosaur alive is much more; and [b]
Paradox-for-DOS applications that are still alive these days are
probably mission-critical, and doing enough transaction volume that the
cost of its replacement is only a few dollars per transaction.  Finally
[c] the cost of a mission-critical system going out-of-service, or being
replaced in a desperate rush, is beyond measure.

Notice that I said "spending $8,000 on replacement system designs and
RFPs."  This is a vital first step .. you should contract with at least
two experts, do the job right, and pay them separately so they are
impartial - true - consultants.

You should not delay on this.

Post by Steven Gree » Fri, 16 Nov 2001 02:44:45

> As a good example, trusty ol' PKZIP.EXE fails under Windows 2000 with
> some obscure fault that kills the entire session.

correct.. no Cancel/Debug, no Unexpected Condition abort, no GP abort.. pdox
is just gone altogether..

--
------------------------------

Steve Green
Waldorf Maryland USA

http://www.diamondsg.com

------------------------------
Diamond Software Group, Inc.
Corel CTech - Paradox Support
------------------------------
Diamond Sports Gems
Sports Cards and Memorabilia
------------------------------

Porting Paradox DOS apps to Windows

Post by Mr. Elb » Fri, 16 Nov 2001 09:05:19

On Wed, 14 Nov 2001 12:44:45 -0500, Steven Green

>> As a good example, trusty ol' PKZIP.EXE fails under Windows 2000 with
>> some obscure fault that kills the entire session.

>correct.. no Cancel/Debug, no Unexpected Condition abort, no GP abort.. pdox
>is just gone altogether..

Well my old version of PKZIP 2.04g - 1993 works like a charm in
Windows XP.

1. Problem porting FP DOS app to windows

I have an application developed in FoxPro 2.0 for DOS which now must be
ported to FoxPro for Windows, 2.5.  The application appears to run
adequately, including menu changes, but only occupies half the screen,
since windows is running in VGA-50 mode.  The logical answer is to issue
the display=VGA25 command either in a config file, or at the start of the
main program, but these commands have no apparent effect.  I am simply
unable to get FoxPro for windows to read a 25-line screen.  Short of
re-writing all the modules, is there some way to solve this problem?

Incidentally, I have written all the code myself, rather than having FP
generate it from dialog screens.  So, there are no .SCX or .MNU files, only
.PRG files.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Paul Larned

P.S.  I have talked to the FoxPro support people, who also can't seem to
find a way to change the screen.  They don't know why the 'display=VGA25'
command doesn't work, and they are trying to decide if this is a bug.

2. begginer - select first X records

3. porting Windows => DOS

4. Ingres and Crystal Reports

5. Paradox 4.5 for DOS and Windows 95 DOS 7.x

6. win2000 and paradox 9 table problems

7. Porting apps from Windows->Mac

8. Besoin d'aide pour passer de Paradox V3.5 DOS à Paradox V7 Windows

9. Paradox 3.5 in a DOS windows under WIndows 9x

10. Borland Paradox 4.0 DOS Based transferring files from Windows 3.1 to Windows 98

11. Paradox DOS 4.0/4.5 to Paradox for Windows

12. Paradox DOS to Paradox Windows Conversion help needed