For Robert Wiltshire

Post by ez15 » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 10:30:28

Subject: Re: New Question
Date: Sunday, June 22, 2003 6:18 PM

Hello Again Robert,

After reading some of the replies I am dumbfounded.  I don't know what they
are talking about.

UseYN  Artist  Title Label  No  Genre  Year

These are the headers for my CD table.  I put
a + in the UseYN column on each entry I wanted
to save to a new table.  I re-sorted the table and all the + signs
disappeared.  I don't think this was what you were trying to explain to me.
feel so  frustrated.  It made sense to me to make
a new column but now I feel so frustrated and
dumb that it would not work for me.

Thank you for your patience,
Emmy

#1 calc count unique, Press F8 to run query
#2 calc count unique as uniqArtitsts,F8
#3 calc count all,F8
#4 calc count all as allArtists

Helpful hint :
While you are entering a query, CTRL-DELETE, will delete the entire line in
the query that you are working on.  This is useful if you want to make sure
no prior query specs remain to influence your current query.

Now a 2 field query
moveto "artists" field in query image
select this field for query by pressing F6 or getting a checkmark
then, moveto title field
typein "calc N as useYN" in this field

Press F8
You should have 2 fields in answer table.
Artist name and useYN with a N in it.

In summary, we used the "calc" query keyword to
    1. summarize - unique record counts
    2. summarize - total record count
    3. create a new field in answer table already populated with a value.

For Robert Wiltshire

Post by ez15 » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 23:06:28

You said go to artists field type in.  Did you want me to type in AS?

Emmy

Quote:> > If you have other pointers I am more than willing to give then a try.

> Start a new query,

> go to the artists field
> type in

> Several queries to try,
> notice how the AS word renames the field in the answer table.
> when you are creating a query, pressing F8 will run the query,
> so when you see F8 , that means run the query
> you can click the gear icon on the toolbar also if you want,
> but i find it slightly easier to press F8

> #1 calc count unique, Press F8 to run query
> #2 calc count unique as uniqArtitsts,F8
> #3 calc count all,F8
> #4 calc count all as allArtists

> Helpful hint :
> While you are entering a query, CTRL-DELETE, will delete the entire line
in
> the query that you are working on.  This is useful if you want to make
sure
> no prior query specs remain to influence your current query.

> Now a 2 field query
> moveto "artists" field in query image
> select this field for query by pressing F6 or getting a checkmark
> then, moveto title field
> typein "calc N as useYN" in this field

> Press F8
> You should have 2 fields in answer table.
> Artist name and useYN with a N in it.

> In summary, we used the "calc" query keyword to
>     1. summarize - unique record counts
>     2. summarize - total record count
>     3. create a new field in answer table already populated with a value.

For Robert Wiltshire

Post by ez15 » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 05:27:30

I would prefer if we communicated back and forth w/o the newsgroup.  I tried
to respond to your e-mail but you have a block on it and the e-mail bounced
back.

Emmy

> Subject: Re: New Question
> Date: Sunday, June 22, 2003 6:18 PM

> Hello Again Robert,

> After reading some of the replies I am dumbfounded.  I don't know what
they
> are talking about.

> UseYN  Artist  Title Label  No  Genre  Year

> These are the headers for my CD table.  I put
> a + in the UseYN column on each entry I wanted
> to save to a new table.  I re-sorted the table and all the + signs
> disappeared.  I don't think this was what you were trying to explain to
me.
> feel so  frustrated.  It made sense to me to make
> a new column but now I feel so frustrated and
> dumb that it would not work for me.

> Thank you for your patience,
> Emmy

For Robert Wiltshire

Post by Liz » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 06:32:17

Emmy,

Communication via newsgroup benefits everyone - the person with the
question, those trying to find the answers, lurkers who only read and
those who will come by in a few months or even years and read what
went on.  Keeping the conversations in threads and on the newsgroups
benefits all.

Unless your conversation truly needs to go private, please continue
your questions here.

Liz

PS: Some, as you've noticed, block direct email via spam traps; others
prefer not to receive unsolicited private email and either won't
respond or will respond by directing you to post to the groups (or
some in a less polite manner).  It's generally considered polite to
ask someone (on the groups) if they'd be willing to receive a private
email prior to sending said private email.  (Just an FYI on newsgroup
etiquette.)

> I would prefer if we communicated back and forth w/o the newsgroup.  I tried
> to respond to your e-mail but you have a block on it and the e-mail bounced
> back.

> Emmy

For Robert Wiltshire

Post by Dennis Santor » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 06:50:36

The whole point of the NG is to SHARE. That way many people get the benefit of
the questions AND answers.

If you just want free consulting then you have to find a chump.

If you want paid consulting outside the NG there is lots of that available for
hire.

Denn Santoro
President
Resource Development Associates
http://www.RDAWorldWide.Com
Offices in the United States and Germany
Providing solutions to health care, business, governments and non-profits since
1982

For Robert Wiltshire

Post by ez15 » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 08:48:56

I'm sorry if I offended anyone.  That was not my intention.  I will continue
to post through the newsgroup.  This thread was getting long and I thought
maybe it would be better if the communication was just between Robert and
me.

Emmy

> Emmy,

> Communication via newsgroup benefits everyone - the person with the
> question, those trying to find the answers, lurkers who only read and
> those who will come by in a few months or even years and read what
> went on.  Keeping the conversations in threads and on the newsgroups
> benefits all.

> Unless your conversation truly needs to go private, please continue
> your questions here.

> Liz

> PS: Some, as you've noticed, block direct email via spam traps; others
> prefer not to receive unsolicited private email and either won't
> respond or will respond by directing you to post to the groups (or
> some in a less polite manner).  It's generally considered polite to
> ask someone (on the groups) if they'd be willing to receive a private
> email prior to sending said private email.  (Just an FYI on newsgroup
> etiquette.)

> > I would prefer if we communicated back and forth w/o the newsgroup.  I
tried
> > to respond to your e-mail but you have a block on it and the e-mail
bounced
> > back.

> > Emmy

For Robert Wiltshire

Post by ez15 » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 08:51:47

Ok, you don't have to be so sarcastic ---- "find a chump".  I haven't been a
newgroup person for long and don't know all the do's and don'ts.

Emmy

Quote:> The whole point of the NG is to SHARE. That way many people get the
benefit of
> the questions AND answers.

> If you just want free consulting then you have to find a chump.

> If you want paid consulting outside the NG there is lots of that available
for
> hire.

> Denn Santoro
> President
> Resource Development Associates
> http://www.RDAWorldWide.Com
> Offices in the United States and Germany
> Providing solutions to health care, business, governments and non-profits
since
> 1982

For Robert Wiltshire

Post by Robert Wiltshir » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 10:32:22

Quote:> > I would prefer if we communicated back and forth w/o the newsgroup.  I
tried
> > to respond to your e-mail but you have a block on it and the e-mail
bounced
> > back.

For the record,
I initiated direct email on this thread after about 3 or 4 suggestions and

I was trying to take a very step by step approach to help someone learn.
and thought it would be more productive to email directly.
So I deserve the heat for that.

If the email bounced, look at my email address that bounced, and see if it
and see if you can spot the word that doesnt belong there. I think the word
antispam might need to be removed.

Robert Wiltshire

1. Oracle Analyst Programmers -Wiltshire - Permanent, Permanent

Agency:        Application Centre Ltd.
Contact:       Paul Corcoran
Telephone:     0171 354 5056  or Mobile 0958 419 692
Fax:           0171 354 2373

Type:          Permanent
Job Title:     Oracle Analyst Programmers -Wiltshire - Permanent

Vacancy:       We need 3/4 Oracle Analyst Programmers with Oracle
v7, PL/SQL and any exposure to Developer 2000. The client is a
major name with some interesting projects servicing major business
activity expansion. Extensive training and career development.

Location:      Wiltshire
Start date:    ASAP
Duration:      Permanent
Rate/Salary:   Permanent salaries - good
Reference:     CIX/PC 405 Oracle Perm
Subject:       Oracle Analyst Programmers -Wiltshire - Permanent,
Permanent

2. ms sql server

3. learning SQL and databases

4. Developer in Wiltshire, UK wanted

5. H E L P !!! - ENCRYPTED STORED PROCEDURE

6. [Robert.Hufsky@ser.at: autocommit in ecpg]

7. Looking for Robert Mangan SYbase DBA (London)

8. Thanx Robert D.Martin

9. Robert Green in Salt Lake City

10. Wanted: "SmartNames" database (Bob=Robert)

11. Intelligent Information Systems Course - taught by Robert Meersman