Help with Paradox Space Limitation

Post by Wayne Fergerstro » Wed, 15 Oct 1997 04:00:00

We have noticed that in Paradox when running the application on a drive
that has *free space* of > 2 GB we get an error message saying that Paradox
needs > 15 MB of free space. The hard drive could be 4 GB in size but it
won't run until at least 2 GB of space is used leaving less than 2 GB free
space. The test environment is a Novell 4.11 server with Win95
clients....anyone notice this type of problem or how to fix it?

Thanks

Post by Sundial Servic » Wed, 15 Oct 1997 04:00:00

>We have noticed that in Paradox when running the application on a drive
>that has *free space* of > 2 GB we get an error message saying that Paradox
>needs > 15 MB of free space. The hard drive could be 4 GB in size but it
>won't run until at least 2 GB of space is used leaving less than 2 GB free
>space. The test environment is a Novell 4.11 server with Win95
>clients....anyone notice this type of problem or how to fix it?

You do not mention which version of Paradox you are using but it sounds like
an early Paradox for DOS.  These systems did not support hard drives greater
than 2GB.

A utility was posted to the newsgroup even this week, at my request (thank
you!) called LESSPACE.EXE, which "fools" Paradox for DOS into thinking that
the disk is not "too large."

Basically, as disks have gotten bigger and bigger, DOS has invented new and
clever ways to be able to handle them... of which FAT32 is the latest
incarnation.  New interfaces, and new variations on old interfaces, were
invented along the way.  Older software that existed before the time these
interfaces came into being, such as Paradox for DOS, obviously has no way to
handle them.

Help with Paradox Space Limitation

Post by K Mitchel » Thu, 16 Oct 1997 04:00:00

LESSPACE.ZIP is attached.

Quote:> We have noticed that in Paradox when running the application on a drive
> that has *free space* of > 2 GB we get an error message saying that
Paradox
> needs > 15 MB of free space. The hard drive could be 4 GB in size but it
> won't run until at least 2 GB of space is used leaving less than 2 GB
free
> space. The test environment is a Novell 4.11 server with Win95
> clients....anyone notice this type of problem or how to fix it?

> Thanks

begin 600 Lesspace.zip
<encoded_portion_removed>
end

Post by Wayne Fergerstro » Thu, 16 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> We have noticed that in Paradox when running the application on a drive
> that has *free space* of > 2 GB we get an error message saying that
Paradox
> needs > 15 MB of free space. The hard drive could be 4 GB in size but it
> won't run until at least 2 GB of space is used leaving less than 2 GB
free
> space. The test environment is a Novell 4.11 server with Win95
> clients....anyone notice this type of problem or how to fix it?

> Thanks

I also forgot to mention that im using Paradox 7 16 bit

1. Looking for help on paradox and its limitations

To Anyone with Information

I am looking for information on paradox 5.0.  I need to know about its
limitations and strengths regarding the setup of tables, queries and
reports.  Where does the program run into trouble?  What makes it better
than other database software Programs

Thanks
Leslie

2. PLATINUM technology Delivers First Phase Integration of Application Lifecycle Products - Press Release

3. table fields number limitations in Paradox :(, Help!

4. SQL 7.0 DTS, DDQ inconsistencies

5. Paradox, (16 bit BDE) and wasted space - HELP

6. What is the value of blank field in database?

7. Limitation of transaction space

8. Raw space limitations

9. Space limitations of FM server

10. space limitation for users or tablespaces

11. Database space limitation

12. dBASE 5.0 drive space limitations