How to transfer data etc from DOS Paradox runtime to MS Access

How to transfer data etc from DOS Paradox runtime to MS Access

Post by Chris Wilki » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 09:08:17

I work part time at a local Advice center. The use DOS Paradox Runtime
to record client data.

Can the infomation be transfered to MS Access. Can the reports, input
forms be transfered as well as the database?

Chris...

Post by Larry DiGiovann » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 09:21:48

> Can the infomation be transfered to MS Access.

Yes, usually via ODBC.  Create a DSN to the data using the MS Paradox
driver, then pull the data into Access through that DSN.

Quote:> Can the reports, input forms be transfered as well as the database?

No.  All of this must be rewritten from scratch.  This is true of Paradox
for DOS to any other platform (Access, Paradox for Windows, etc.)

--
Larry DiGiovanni
Digico, Inc.

How to transfer data etc from DOS Paradox runtime to MS Access

Post by Dave Porte » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 09:44:00

If you install the supplemental data converters (that are not installed with
a 'typical' Access install)
from your office CD. These are also perhaps available somewhere at
Micro$oft.com.
You can convert or import paradox tables straight to access tables....

But, as Larry said, there is no way to transfer anything but the raw data,
no input forms or reports or scripts, etc.

Dave

Post by Steven Gree » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 10:29:39

> Can the infomation be transfered to MS Access.

just to offer a third option.. from Paradox, export the tables to ascii..
them import the ascii files to access..

Quote:> Can the reports, input forms be transfered as well as the database?

the answer to that one is still no <smile>

--

Steve Green - Diamond Software Group, Inc - Waldorf Maryland USA
Corel CTech Paradox - http://www.diamondsg.com - Support/Downloads/Links

Do you need a Sanity Check? http://www.diamondsg.com/sanity.htm
Upgrade/Downgrade versions? http://www.diamondsg.com/upgrade.htm

Post by Larry DiGiovann » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 12:46:50

> just to offer a third option.. from Paradox, export the tables to ascii..
> them import the ascii files to access..

Sounds like he only has Runtime.  Plus, export to text is probably more
trouble than it's worth with date formatting and memo support (assuming
Pdox4).  IMHO.

--
Larry DiGiovanni
Digico, Inc.
IT Consulting and Staffing Solutions
www.digicoinc.com
Check out www.thedbcommunity.com for Paradox resources.
New position listings on www.digicoinc.com/joinus.htm

1. Paradox Runtime Doesn't Like Paradox DOS?

A client recently trying to install PDX WIN 4.5 Runtime encountered
a very strange problem.  His machine already had PDX DOS installed.
The runtime installed quite happily, but once he exited Windows, when
he went to restart Windows - his system was toast!  Windows loaded,
but all that he got was the background wallpaper and the mouse cursor.
Mouse click showed PgmMgr in the task list, but unable to switch to it!
Could do nothing except alt-F4 to exit.  An examination of system files,
ini's, etc showed nothing wrong.
I talked him through it over the phone, and we managed to recover by
commenting out all groups in the progman.ini file, and then one by one
uncommented them.  Each time windows successfully loaded including
program manager.  No other changes were made, and once the last
grp item was uncommented, the progman.ini was back to its original
state.  Windows came up normally.  Tried a re-install of PDX runtime,
and it gave the message that there were old versions of some of the
ODAPI files, so it replaced them (it should have done this the first time).

Anyone know if there's a (in)compatibility problem with PDX DOS and the
PDX WIN runtime?

--
Brian Pederson,  Eon Systems Corporation
PGP Fingerprint: 47 13 E0 49 C1 B8 02 82 95 4E B8 2C BD 20 81 70

2. Oracle 8i

3. SQL Syntax in ADODB Data Transfer from AS/400 to MS Access

4. Client questions

5. Transfer data from MS-Access to DB2

6. OriginalValue vs. Value

7. errors in data transfer AS400-->MS Access

8. Universe Newbie - question on serial coms

9. REQ: paradox RUNTIME 7.0 or Paradox 8.0 (normal and/or Runtime)

10. Accessing Sage Financial Planner data files through Paradox 4.5 Dos

11. Smart Software MS.DOS Database, Speadsheet, etc)

12. transfer MS Access memo filed to MS SQL 7.0 problem

13. Transferring Data results in loss of Primary Key etc