Paradox 3.5, 4.0, or 4.5 for DOS

Post by Anthony K Kon » Mon, 18 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I am in the process of designing a database system but have trouble
deciding on which DBMS to use.  What I wanted is to be able to run the
database application with a "cheap" machine.  If a i286 can do it then it
will be wonderful.  I ran Paradox 3.5 using my old i286 before but
programming in Paradox 3.5 is really a pain for me!  I like to do it in
version 4.0 and 4.5.  However, version 4.0 and 4.5 cannot be run using my
"cheap" machine.  Can someone give me some advice here?  Or should I just
totally forget about DOS base database and go straight to Windows base
DBMS?  I had developed a DBMS using Microsoft Access 2.0 but I didn't
like it too much because the user tends to use the mouse too much and I
wanted to restrict the user to keyboard only.  And setting up machine to
run Access and Windows efficiently means I have to invest a lots more in
hardware then if I were using Paradox 3.5 for example.  Anyway... Please
give me some advice!  Thanks.

Sincerely,

Anthony

*   Name: Anthony K Kong       (Random Walk with L.D.Polyethylene)  *

Paradox 3.5, 4.0, or 4.5 for DOS

Post by Steve Urba » Mon, 18 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>Subject: Paradox 3.5, 4.0, or 4.5 for DOS
>Date: Sun, 17 Dec 1995 01:13:59 -0700
>I am in the process of designing a database system but have trouble
>deciding on which DBMS to use.  What I wanted is to be able to run the
>database application with a "cheap" machine.  If a i286 can do it then it
>will be wonderful.  I ran Paradox 3.5 using my old i286 before but
>programming in Paradox 3.5 is really a pain for me!  I like to do it in
>version 4.0 and 4.5.  However, version 4.0 and 4.5 cannot be run using my
>"cheap" machine.

Time saved is worth $,  The price of a clone Pentium System Loaded is way less
than what the IBM AT sold for.

Quote:> Can someone give me some advice here?

If you had problems programming in PAL with 3.5, then 4.5 (Skip 4.0) will not
make you any happier.  More power, means MORE  complexity. OTOH if having to
code Pull down menus, dialog boxes, do table look-ups was the problem, Then
PDOX 4.5 DOS offers a lot of options (granted with a learning curve). Tools
like Paint Pal can help with Diolg Box construction.

Quote:>  Or should I just
>totally forget about DOS base database and go straight to Windows base
>DBMS?  I had developed a DBMS using Microsoft Access 2.0 but I didn't
>like it too much because the user tends to use the mouse too much and I
>wanted to restrict the user to keyboard only.

4.0 and 4.5 PAL have the command  "MOUSE HIDE" to disable the mouse during the
script. Some users use the mouse for everything, others (like me) like to use
the keyboard shortcut keys.  IMHO you will never win this battle and you
should make tha Application Rodent Friendly anyway.

 >And setting up machine to

>run Access and Windows efficiently means I have to invest a lots more in
>hardware then if I were using Paradox 3.5 for example.  Anyway... Please
>give me some advice!  Thanks.
>Sincerely,
>Anthony
>*   Name: Anthony K Kong       (Random Walk with L.D.Polyethylene)  *

Paradox 3.5, 4.0, or 4.5 for DOS

Post by Steve Gree » Tue, 19 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Anthony: if you are stuck with old 286s and
low end 386s, then you're stuck with Pdox3.5
or dBaseIII, or something along those lines..
FWIW, Pdox3.5 is a GREAT package to work with,
if you understand how it works, because you
really need to have a stong understanding of
interactive Pdox to do well with PAL..

--
Steve Green - Diamond Software Group - Waldorf, MD, USA
71333,2362 CompuServe - TBMG62A Prodigy - I am a member

Paradox 3.5, 4.0, or 4.5 for DOS

Post by Kevi » Fri, 22 Dec 1995 04:00:00

4.0 or 4.5 will run on a 286 w/2Mb of RAM, but the more the
better. Also the programming language for all three is very
nearly identical. 4.0 adds dialog boxes with buttons and event
driven programming (which is great - kinda like pdox for MSW),
and 4.5 gives you a few more functions. 3.5 is a fine package.

Kevin

Paradox 3.5, 4.0, or 4.5 for DOS

Post by Steve Gree » Fri, 22 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Kevin: you must be very careful when trying to use
4.x (or 3.x in protected mode) with 286s.. many of
them are not compliant with accepted standards, and
you can't run in protected mode.. this, of course,
means that you can't use 4.x at all..

Furthermore, we usually recommend that you give 4.x
at least 4 meg of free, available memory.. that means
an 8 meg machine..

--
Steve Green - Diamond Software Group - Waldorf, MD, USA
71333,2362 CompuServe - TBMG62A Prodigy - I am a member
of the TeamB Tech Support staff for ParadoxDOS but I do
not represent Borland Int'l in any official capacity.

1. Conversion Paradox 3.5 DOS to Paradox 4.5 Windows

Actually, Borland's object converters for Paradox *5.0* do indeed
offer a script converter in addition to a form and report converter.
You'd have to use Paradox 5.0 to run them, though.  The conversion of
scripts is only partial, but anything which cannot be converted to
live code is at least moved to the PdoxWin script as commented code so
that you can look at it and convert the rest of it yourself.

Tim

2. Why A Valid Column Name Is Flagged As 'Invalid Column Name'?

3. Paradox DOS 4.0/4.5 to Paradox for Windows

4. US-DE: Wilmington-Junior Programmer - PL/SQL, Oracle shell

5. Paradox 4.0 DOS to Paradox win 4.5

6. Please help - Im sooo Lost !

7. Paradox 3.5 scripts --> Paradox 4.5 OPAL scripts

8. Error 1460

9. Paradox 4.5 DOS under NT 4.0 WS

10. Printing Paradox 4.0/4.5 for DOS in Win95

11. Paradox for dos 4.5 under NT 4.0

12. PARADOX 4.0/4.5 DOS

13. 3.5,4.0 & 4.5 Buffer Error