From Paradox Engine 3.0 to the latest one.

Post by Lee Yen H » Thu, 13 Oct 1994 16:35:00

Hi,

We have an application (in BC++) that uses Paradox Engine 3.0.  Recently we
are thinking of upgrade to a latest version of Paradox Engine.  We would like
to gather information on whether it is worth the (trouble?) upgrade.  Will it
be faster?  Is the upgrade easy/difficult?

Regards

Yen Hoe

From Paradox Engine 3.0 to the latest one.

Post by Kuo-Sheng (Kas » Sat, 15 Oct 1994 21:30:50

: We have an application (in BC++) that uses Paradox Engine 3.0.  Recently
we : are thinking of upgrade to a latest version of Paradox Engine.  We
would like : to gather information on whether it is worth the (trouble?)
upgrade.  Will it : be faster?  Is the upgrade easy/difficult?

I think a saw a preview or quick review of the "Borland Database Engine"
in a recent issue of PC Week...

--
+============================================================================+

||   (the rest of this .sig is under construction...)                       ||
+============================================================================+

From Paradox Engine 3.0 to the latest one.

Post by Karl Southe » Tue, 18 Oct 1994 06:24:58

Quote:

> We have an application (in BC++) that uses Paradox Engine 3.0.  Recently we
> are thinking of upgrade to a latest version of Paradox Engine.  We would like
> to gather information on whether it is worth the (trouble?) upgrade.  Will it
> be faster?  Is the upgrade easy/difficult?

There is not later version of the Paradox Engine. Borland database
engine is in early experience program but only supports the Windows
environment. It should be quicker than the Paradox Engine was under
Windows but if you app is a DOS based one then it is difficult to say.
Gut feeling says no but is does depend on the types of transactions and
queries you are running.

The BDE provide far more control over the objects manipulating your
data-base and is a fuller product than was the Paradox Engine. It also
gives you lots of other goodies like access to dbase files,
internationalisation (not just sort order).

                               Sheffield, UK