Can PDOX5.0 import text files containing null characters?

Can PDOX5.0 import text files containing null characters?

Post by spoon.. » Tue, 11 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Why can't I get a good answer to this question.
Brief history:
I am importing a fixed text file that contains null characters.  Some
records begin with nulls.  This seems to be a big problem with PDOX.
When a record is read PDOX think the null(00) is the end of the
record.  All documentation that I have read does not address this
issue.  When the null is at the beginning of a record PDOX return an
error and aborts.  I had to write a DELPHI program to scan the files
that I am importing and convert all the null to spaces.  If anybody
can help me on this issue I would appreciate it.  Forget about calling
Borland.

I tried to call Borland and the guy on the phone didn't know %$&*#.
Get this.  I told him to create a text file with nulls and then try to
view it.  He couldn't create the text file so I sent him one.  Keep in
mind $2.00 a minute while this is happening.  I sent him  a file with
ten records with to of the records including nulls.  First he goes
into notepad and deletes all the records without nulls and saves it.
He then informs me that he had no problem importing it and that I was
doing something wrong.  Maybe he was able to import it because when
you open the text file in notepad, notepad does not recognize nulls so
the file he saved and imported no longer had nulls.  Then I told hime
to use word to crop the file.  After he crops the file he tells me he
can't import the file at all.  Another DUH he saved the file as a word
doc.

I hung up without an answer and out a couple bucks.
Please help.

Post by Raymond Kw » Wed, 12 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>Why can't I get a good answer to this question.
>Brief history:
>I am importing a fixed text file that contains null characters.  Some
>records begin with nulls.  This seems to be a big problem with PDOX.
>When a record is read PDOX think the null(00) is the end of the
>record.  All documentation that I have read does not address this
>issue.  When the null is at the beginning of a record PDOX return an
>error and aborts.  I had to write a DELPHI program to scan the files
>that I am importing and convert all the null to spaces.  If anybody
>can help me on this issue I would appreciate it.  Forget about calling
>Borland.

If you consider NULL as a valid data, then sorry, I can't help.
However if only the displayable ASCII is valid data, then you
can use utility to strip off (or replace it with SPACE), such as Delphi,
or AWK or SUB or ...

Raymond Kwok

/////////////////////////////////////////////////\

// Raymond Kwok /////////////////////////////////////\
// Consultant Computer Section ////////////////////////\
// lkl Consultant Services //////////////////////////////\
// Expertise in Borland Paradox, networking, OS, H/W //////\
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Post by Andrew Benne » Wed, 12 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>Why can't I get a good answer to this question.
>Brief history:
>I am importing a fixed text file that contains null characters.  Some
>records begin with nulls.  This seems to be a big problem with PDOX.
>When a record is read PDOX think the null(00) is the end of the
>record.  All documentation that I have read does not address this
>issue.  When the null is at the beginning of a record PDOX return an
>error and aborts.  I had to write a DELPHI program to scan the files
>that I am importing and convert all the null to spaces.  If anybody
>can help me on this issue I would appreciate it.

Since nulls's are typically string termination characters in C, I can
see where your problem begins.  Take my $ character as a null.

My import text looks like:

Andrew Bennett|my address here|my state|$|more data

So then a C function takes the string, does a length function, it
never gets to the more data.

And if it begins, then there's an object that has a defined length and
takes up memory space but has nothing I can touch.

Hrm.  :)

Andrew
--
  Andrew Bennett

  http://taz.hyperreal.com/~abennett/

1. Importing a text file containing the Null character

I'm sure this must have come up a thousand times before, but I am unable to
find the answer.  I receive a text file periodically and it contains the
null character (ascii 0) as filler.  I have written a VB program that steps
over these characters and writes out usable data, which I then import into
my sql server (7.0).  I'd like to perform this task with DTS if I could
figure out how.  When I create the Text File Source connection, text is read
until the first null, and I can't see anything beyond that.  Is it possible
to use a file with nulls as a text file source or is there some other
approach I need to take.  Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

2. Sample Code: Thin Web Client Cube Browser

3. Help I can't get Character Fields From DBASE file that contain Null bytes

4. UK & Holland - Oracle people wanted

5. Problem importing ASCII file containing french characters.

6. DOS: ignored an init script

7. Problem of importing XML file containing Chinese characters

8. Depending on system install scripts (was Re: [BUGS] COBOL)

9. Problem importing excel file containing chinese character-DTS

10. transforming data that contains null to a text file

11. 255 characters limitation importing text file?

12. DTS Import from text file, accept a null date field

13. Importing Text files and Nulls