Need IDAPI config help

Post by Elizabeth Mollo » Wed, 24 Sep 1997 04:00:00

I can't say I know all the intricacies of the install, but if you need
more info, I can ask for it.  We are using Paradox for Windows version
5.0.

I'm sure there are many different IDAPI configurations among our users
and wonder if anyone knows what it should be.  Do we need to have Local
Share set to True?  Is it the same for NT and 95 users as it is for 3.11
users?

The problems so far are:
1)  Some people get locked out when others are using Paradox.  I've been
told the error refers to not being able to initialize the IDAPI and
something about the directory being locked.  This isn't the case for
everyone though.
2)  We have one particular application that I can't get into when a
specific user is in it.  She has her 'Net Dir' set to c:\ and I wonder
if this is part of the problem.

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.
-Liz

Need IDAPI config help

Post by Raymond Kwo » Thu, 25 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> I can't say I know all the intricacies of the install, but if you need
> more info, I can ask for it.  We are using Paradox for Windows version
> 5.0.

> I'm sure there are many different IDAPI configurations among our users
> and wonder if anyone knows what it should be.  Do we need to have Local
> Share set to True?  Is it the same for NT and 95 users as it is for 3.11
> users?

> The problems so far are:
> 1)  Some people get locked out when others are using Paradox.  I've been
> told the error refers to not being able to initialize the IDAPI and
> something about the directory being locked.  This isn't the case for
> everyone though.

I have a practical solution:
1) create a IDAPI.CFG file, with NET DIR set to a network directory
where
application is placed
2) place the IDAPI.CFG file in the network directory where application
is placed
3) create separate icon for each application in user Windows environment
4) set the program line to C:\PDOXWIN\PDOXWIN.EXE -o F:\...\IDAPI.CFG
then every user will use the same configure file
however you have to set different icon for each application that use
that configure file for development purpose, or else if you debug the
program,
every other will be locked out.

Quote:> 2)  We have one particular application that I can't get into when a
> specific user is in it.  She has her 'Net Dir' set to c:\ and I wonder
> if this is part of the problem.

To my experience, it is a "Yes".
When she runs Paradox, Paradox will create .NET file in her C:\
and .LCK in every database directory in network file server
When you try to access database directory in network file server
your Paradox will check the .LCK file, which prohibit your access
Quote:

> Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.
> -Liz

Raymond Kwok

Need IDAPI config help

Post by Kasey Chang (fix address before replying to m » Thu, 25 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I can't say I know all the intricacies of the install, but if you need
>more info, I can ask for it.  We are using Paradox for Windows version
>5.0.
>I'm sure there are many different IDAPI configurations among our users
>and wonder if anyone knows what it should be.  Do we need to have Local
>Share set to True?  Is it the same for NT and 95 users as it is for 3.11
>users?

Local share only needs to be true if you are running multiple IDAPI
based programs at the same time, including multiple sessions of
Paradox, ON THE SAME COMPUTER. This is usually NOT true.

Quote:>The problems so far are:
>1)  Some people get locked out when others are using Paradox.  I've been
>told the error refers to not being able to initialize the IDAPI and
>something about the directory being locked.  This isn't the case for
>everyone though.

Directory locked usually means the PRIVATE directory is not set
properly. It should usually be C:\PDOXWIN\PRIVATE, though if you need
more you can make PRIV1, PRIV2, etc. under C:\TEMP

Quote:>2)  We have one particular application that I can't get into when a
>specific user is in it.  She has her 'Net Dir' set to c:\ and I wonder
>if this is part of the problem.

That's it. ALL NETWORK PDOX users MUST have the SAME Net Dir for
network locking to work correctly.

Need IDAPI config help

Post by Alexander Philippo » Fri, 26 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Kasey Chang (fix address before replying to me!)

Quote:> Local share only needs to be true if you are running multiple IDAPI
> based programs at the same time, including multiple sessions of
> Paradox, ON THE SAME COMPUTER. This is usually NOT true.

Kasey,

Sorry to have to correct you on this one; local share must be set to TRUE
on another case as well. See the following text that I wrote some time ago
when replying to similar threads. You may also confirm it by looking up the
subject "Sharing information between workstations" in Paradox 8's help (if
you think that it looks similar to my text it is because I sent it to Corel
during the beta and they decided to include in the help file).

Alexander Philippou

Here is a brief explanation of how LOCAL SHARE should be used. Actually, it
is a concatenation of parts of previous messages that I sent some time ago.
Hope it helps.

If the tables are being stored on a workstation's shared disk then the
LOCAL SHARE *must* be True (using the BDE / IDAPI / ODAPI configuration
utilities), but only on that workstation (which has the tables); other
workstations accessing these shared tables (which are not local to them) do
not need to have the LOCAL SHARE set to True. This configuration requires
that the workstations that store shared tables (and that need to have the
LOCAL SHARE set to True) have a different BDE (or IDAPI / ODAPI)
configuration file from the workstations that just access tables which are
shared on other workstations, unless you don't mind having all
workstations' LOCAL SHARE set to TRUE (which, by the way, is the safest
thing to do).

The way that a true file server (Netware, NT) implements locks at the NOS
level is different (better & faster) from the way that a workstation in a
peer-to-peer network does for the shared files that reside on its local
disk. In older Paradox editions, we had to specify which network was being
used; there was a separate entry for each of the major file server LANs,
and a single entry for all the "share-based networks" (LANtastic, WfW,
Novell Lite) that needed MS-DOS's SHARE to be loaded.

So, if your shared files reside on a file server then the locking works
properly without the need to load MS-DOS's SHARE or to set the LOCAL SHARE
to True. However, when sharing the files (tables) of a workstation (WfW,
95) both should be used (MS-DOS's SHARE and LOCAL SHARE) so that the
workstation's operating system will resepect the locking mechanism.
Actually MS-DOS's SHARE need not be loaded in Win95 as it is loaded
automatically on demand - but LOCAL SHARE still has to be set to True.

The general advice should be to set the LOCAL SHARE to
True, at least for the non-experts. There is another reason to do so: if it
is set to False then directory lockings (as locked via the setDirLock
method) are not respected.

Note: Don't confuse NT Workstations with NT Servers. Shared files on an NT
Workstation are handled in the same way as on an Win95 workstation.

1. Help with config.fx, config.fp, config.fpw files

Hi,

We have a problem at the company I work for.  We are still using FoxBase+,
FoxPro for DOS and FoxPro 2.6a for development.  We don't really have anyone
here who understands the proper way to set up these configuration files.  We
have customers who are reporting 'Out of Memory' errors on their machines
when running our software.
This one happens to be written in FoxBase+.  Here is what our config.fx
looks like:

mvcount=1024
files=55
buffers=55

I am pretty sure the mvcount is kind of high.  I have read somewhere that if
you include a files and buffers statement in your config.fx, you must be
sure to verify that the same settings in your config.sys are at least 10
higher.  Is this correct?  Any help that anyone can give on this subject
will be greatly appreciated.  If additional information is needed, e-mail me
and I will send it.

Thanks,

Brian

2. database drigger newbie help

3. BUGS idapi BUGS idapi BUGS idapi BUGS

4. jpg files in progress

5. IDAPI config at runtime

6. production and development databases comparsion tools

7. IDAPI Config Problem

8. Lessons Learned Database

9. IDAPI Config with Paradox 5 & WFW311

10. Why does my IDAPI config keep changing??

11. Help: Need IDAPI or ODBS driver for Scalable SQL

12. IDAPI Error. Help needed

13. pgsql/config config.guess config.sub